1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for DVD recorder w/ HDD...!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Saturn82, Feb 22, 2003.

1. Saturn82

Saturn82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [Topic]

I'm planing on converting all my tapes to DVD
    And there is some tapes where I really want to cut out the commercials.

Any suggestions?

...It dosen't have to be newest of the newest, I only need to know the names of the players, that way I can do little searching on my own.

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
  3. richkeys

richkeys
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Saturn82

Saturn82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Haven't Philips & Panasonic got DVD rec. on the market w/ a hdd for while now?

Can't remember the names of them....

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Panasonic have a DVDR/HDD combo out now - called the HS2. Toshiba, JVC and Pioneer will all have models out before the end of the year.

The +RW format is currently incompatible with HDD recording which is why no models are available.

6. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    check out

http://www.avland.co.uk/dvd/dvdr.htm#dvdr

for a list of current and planned hdd dvd recorders.

At the moment the hs2 is really the only choice. But be warned a replacement with a much larger hard drive is planned soon. And as mentioned there is a toshiba and jvc on the horizon as well. None of these are mentioned on the above link but are worth considering if you can hold off.

7. Saturn82

Saturn82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1) How much of a quality loss is there from going from VHS to DVD.
    2) How do you copy from VHS to DVD, isn't it through the scart lead?

8. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The hs2 in xp mode will record with no noticeable loss over the input signal, sp mode is the one I use and again is virtually indistinguishable from the source. On sp mode the hard drive holds 17hours of video for later writing to dvd-r.

I personally would not copy vhs to dvd though as I now find my old tapes virtually unwatchable on a good large tv, due to noise and low quality in the original recording.

If you had to, I guess you could record 6 hours worth to the hard drive in xp mode and then burn it all to a dvd in ep mode. This would ensure no quality loss in taking the material from the vhs recording onto the hard drive, and I believe the ep mode is equivalent to vhs quality?
    (Haven't tried it myself!)

Dont forget the time factor though, 6 hours to copy to the hard drive, another 6 to dub to dvd, plus probably 30 mins to edit out the ads in 6 hours of material. As it is so easy to zip through ads on a dvd player, you could save a lot of time copying straight to the dvd.

Scart connection is fine.

Don't forget the real plus in buying a HS2 is the ability to avoid watching live tv, much like a tivo or sky+. Always record what you plan to watch and watch something else while recording from programs already stored in the hard drive, or even on a dvd in the dvd drive. This saves having to watch 15 mins of ads each hour on sky! And you can't tell the difference between live tv and an sp quality recording, so you can have many hours of progs to choose from.
    Its also possible to just watch the interesting bits in overlong programs. IE the bismarck expedition last night, 2 hours long, we managed to watch all the interesting footage in about 75 mins after zipping through adds and other boring bits.

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    This would be awful and completely unwatchable! Use EP for live off air recordings that you really don't care about when watching on a 28" TV or less and nothing else! EP mode is indeed equivalent to a VHS recording but not if you source is poor to start with! If you source is poor you need to use a HIGH bitrate to maintain that quality. For VHS tapes don't even think of using anything other than XP, FR or SP. Out of those Flexible Bitrate is by far the best way to go.

I archived all my VHS recordings by recording them to the HS2 HDD in XP mode, editting and then used Flexible Bitrate (FR) to copy between 90 and 100 minutes to each DVD-R. This gives a result indistinguishable from the original source.

10. Saturn82

Saturn82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I use -RW DVD's with the HS2?
    How much does the HS2 Cost?

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    No - I don't know if they will play or not (I don't have any -RW disks) but they certainly don't record on the HS2. It takes DVD-RAM disks and the write-once DVD-R disks. With the HS2 it is the latter that most users use.

You can pick up an HS2 for under £800 from most online retailers.

12. Saturn82

Saturn82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, i guess if you have one with a hdd, it surely wouldnt be the biggest loss in the world if you can't record onto -RW's

Well... thanks for the replies everybody :)

PS: where can I get more info on the HS2?

13. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  14. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Saturn82 You can download the H2 manual from the Panasonic web site below....Also as an E20/30 owner I can assure you the quality of copying VHS to DVD will if anything be an improvement as a result of the DVD image being rock solid compared to VHS. No problems there what so ever..

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/downloadcentre/default.asp