Looking For DVD Recorder Suggestions <$700 CDN

MrMcMister

Novice Member
Reaction score
I'm doing up a "memory lab" for a local library. It's basically going to be a station where people can come in and convert old analog photos, videos etc to digital formats. I've already got a good scanner for photos and slides/negatives, but I'm looking for something to convert old VHS tapes. As largely elderly persons are going to be using this setup I want to keep it as simple as possible so I want to avoid the pc capture card route and go with a standalone dvd video recorder. It needs to be as push button as possible with as few steps as possible. So I'm looking for a dvd recorder for less than $700cdn that's reliable, in production for repair support in case of damage and reliable enough for public use.

I can easily get a hold of a good VCR cheap so that's not a problem.

Welcome to the forum.

I strongly suspect that it is impossible to meet your requirements.
I am speaking for the UK and Europe, and the status of affairs may be slightly different in Canada.

DVD recorders have been totally digital for some time and no longer have any capacity to intake analogue, or perform any analogue to digital conversion, so I don't think you will find anything in production.

The Canadian marketplace may be different however, although I expect it is influenced by affairs in the United States.
See this article which goes some way to explaining why things are the way they are.

You may be restricted to the second hand market to get something with analogue capabilities.
A VCR/DVDR hybrid combo would be the best bet. Such as, for example the Panasonic DMR-EZ47 - which may still be available in your territory.

Welcome to the forum.

I strongly suspect that it is impossible to meet your requirements.
I am speaking for the UK and Europe, and the status of affairs may be slightly different in Canada.

DVD recorders have been totally digital for some time and no longer have any capacity to intake analogue, or perform any analogue to digital conversion, so I don't think you will find anything in production.

The Canadian marketplace may be different however, although I expect it is influenced by affairs in the United States.
See this article which goes some way to explaining why things are the way they are.

You may be restricted to the second hand market to get something with analogue capabilities.
A VCR/DVDR hybrid combo would be the best bet. Such as, for example the Panasonic DMR-EZ47 - which may still be available in your territory.

Thanks for the info. I feared that might be the case. I'm going to be posting some ads in local papers and newsletters, see if someone local has one they want to donate to the library. If not, I'll go with buying a used one.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom