Looking for DTV tuner/Vid selector for Sharp Aquos LC-30HV4U

markosjal

Standard Member
I had given to me a Sharp LC-30HV4U . The picture is sharp and clear and the side mounted speaker make some great audio.

PDF here

Part of the reason this was given to me was that there were no HDMII ports, however it does have a DVI port thus allowing a DVI tob HDMI adapter to be used for HD input, aside from component. and VGA. Apparently the person who gave it to me could not understand this. It also has no DTV tuner just analog NTSC.

This TV is in 2 parts the tuner and video input switching unit is called "AVC" and the display itself. The display has on it what is apparently an DVI-I ; analog and digital input, apparently labelled as "Display Input 1". "Display Input 2" is a separate Mini D connector of some type. These are the only connectors on the display itself as it is reliant on the "AVC" unit for switching inputs etc.

SInce the person that gave me the TVlostthe remote between the time of offering the TV and me actually picking it up, there is no remote.

This leaves me considering whether I want to get an external tuner with some HD video input switching integrated like a used PHD-8VX2 ePVision.com - One-Stop place for Full HD 1080p HDMI A/V Switcher Digital HDTV Tuner Receiver Media Box, HD Media Player, HDTV Tuner Set top Box, HDTV PVR Box and more... or a PHD-205LE ePVision.com - One-Stop place for Full HD 1080p HDMI A/V Switcher Digital HDTV Tuner Receiver Media Box, HD Media Player, HDTV Tuner Set top Box, HDTV PVR Box and more... which I can get for slightly more than a replacement remote.

It seems using the big clunky AVC is a huge waste of electricity anyway.

I know it is limited to 1080i or 720P but I a happy with the image quality for the size.

My remaing question is that if I use only the DVI port directly on the display how do I get audio in?

Last edited:

JayCee

Distinguished Member
DVI, Composite or Composite inputs always have an associated audio input.
The user manual should show you.

markosjal

Standard Member
Um, JayCee but you apparently know nothing of this model or you did not understand what I posted, or both.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Um, JayCee but you apparently know nothing of this model or you did not understand what I posted, or both.
Apologies, I mis-read your post, I now see you are trying to use the display on it's own without it's tuner.
The media box you are considering has stereo audio out. You could always feed that to a separate amp/speakers.
If you wanted to use the Sharp display's internal audio and speakers you would need the wiring diagram of it’s system cable connectors to determine which are the audio input pins.
Where are you based...which country?

markosjal

Standard Member
I am in USA.

I believe the audio is carried over the DIsplay Input 2 connector which appears to be an MDR conector (like on some SCSI LVDS?). This is what I think I need the Pinout for.

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom