• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Looking for discreet < 30hz subwoofer.

mclingo

Distinguished Member
Hi, cant help feeling i'm missing something with my current Mission M3 7.1 system. I'm very happy with the overall sound, it actually throws out plenty of bass for my medium sized room but I dont get that ear tickling super low end I get on my Genelec Studio sub. i'm wanting to add another sub to deal with the very low end, my amp can do two subs this should be possible. My problems is it has to be discreet, in fact the only place I have left to put it is under my Sofa.

I've been searching a while for something, I dont want to build it myself though. This was my first thought as it reports down to 20hz response but I'd need to have some sort of PSU converter,

any thoughts, advice?

TS-WX710A | Pioneer

Last edited:

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
I don't think that you'll get much of anything below 30Hz from that sub TBH. It has dual 6" drivers, which are smaller again than the rear inwall subs I use (for null filling as I have dual 15" up front). My inwalls have 8" drivers, but really tail off below 30Hz, so I think these will be more of a 'mid bass' module if anything.

Trouble is you are very limited with volume of the sub cabinet under a sofa. Perhaps you might be better just using a 'shaker' rather than a sub, which will give you some tactic effect. Typically they are attached under a sofa too, so you're already looking in the right area.

mclingo

Distinguished Member
That's why I thought, capable of 20hz doesn't necessarily mean it will chuck much of that out. Thanks for the advice.

MemX

Prominent Member
Discreet or discrete?

It can be both but one is not the other :p lol

[/pedant] :laugh:

Tom @ PSA

Prominent Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hi, cant help feeling i'm missing something with my current Mission M3 7.1 system. I'm very happy with the overall sound, it actually throws out plenty of bass for my medium sized room but I dont get that ear tickling super low end I get on my Genelec Studio sub. i'm wanting to add another sub to deal with the very low end, my amp can do two subs this should be possible. My problems is it has to be discreet, in fact the only place I have left to put it is under my Sofa.

I've been searching a while for something, I dont want to build it myself though. This was my first thought as it reports down to 20hz response but I'd need to have some sort of PSU converter,

any thoughts, advice?

TS-WX710A | Pioneer

Car subs can have incredible "specifications" as they are often rated assuming a huge amount of cabin gain. 20dB, 30dB or even more by 20-25hz is typical in an average size car. So a subwoofer could be "flat" to 20hz in car but we down 20-30dB in a home.

Tom V.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom