1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for Cyrus V's Arcam DVD player debate

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by General Murmur, Jun 4, 2001.

Tags:
  1. General Murmur

General Murmur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Going for a demo on new Cyrus player this Friday. I know the Cyrus uses Zoran like the Arcam, and they have dropped their intended retail from £1500 to £1000 to directly compete with the likes of the Arcam.

So I am looking to get together a set of questions/tests for Friday.

All constructive suggestions welcommed. Only downside is the player won't be officially launched for a further 3 weeks :(

2. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Have heard on the grapevine that it is 'garbage' :(

Let us know if you see one.

On the topic of chipsets I've just been looking at a Denon DVD-2800 side-by-side with an Arcam DV-88, and was surprised by how similar their playback was. The Denon has the same on-screen icons as the Arcam, so maybe another Zoran player?

Ian Guinan

[ 09-06-2001: Message edited by: guinan ]

3. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    When you have had the demo I would be interested to hear your opinion and any constructive comments.

The Denon player AFAIK uses an ESS chipset (this info gleaned from the AVS Forum). I am also intrigued to hear the view that the Cyrus uses Zoran as I thought it was based on a Philips kit. I am happy to be corrected of course :)

In any case, whilst the master chipset used is important in determining performance, there are manyother factors as well.

John Dawson (Arcam)