Looking for Cyrus V's Arcam DVD player debate

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by General Murmur, Jun 4, 2001.

Tags:
  1. General Murmur

General Murmur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Going for a demo on new Cyrus player this Friday. I know the Cyrus uses Zoran like the Arcam, and they have dropped their intended retail from £1500 to £1000 to directly compete with the likes of the Arcam.

So I am looking to get together a set of questions/tests for Friday.

All constructive suggestions welcommed. Only downside is the player won't be officially launched for a further 3 weeks :(

2. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Have heard on the grapevine that it is 'garbage' :(

Let us know if you see one.

On the topic of chipsets I've just been looking at a Denon DVD-2800 side-by-side with an Arcam DV-88, and was surprised by how similar their playback was. The Denon has the same on-screen icons as the Arcam, so maybe another Zoran player?

Ian Guinan

[ 09-06-2001: Message edited by: guinan ]

3. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    When you have had the demo I would be interested to hear your opinion and any constructive comments.

The Denon player AFAIK uses an ESS chipset (this info gleaned from the AVS Forum). I am also intrigued to hear the view that the Cyrus uses Zoran as I thought it was based on a Philips kit. I am happy to be corrected of course :)

In any case, whilst the master chipset used is important in determining performance, there are manyother factors as well.

John Dawson (Arcam)