Looking for custom made voicings for Lyngdorf TDAI-1120

dedekam

Novice Member
Hi, just wondering if anyone on here have made their own voicing files for their Lyngdorf amp, and if yes, would like to share them? :)

Thomas

Jacek Frost

Hi, just wondering if anyone on here have made their own voicing files for their Lyngdorf amp, and if yes, would like to share them? :)

Thomas

Yes but why? It all depends on the speaker you have and the type of sound you like from them after adjustments.

I did a very crude test of my system by analyzing the frequency spectrum via android phone app and ipad app to visualyse my speakers current frequency response and then made a voicing to "fix" some gaps at 1kHz, 10kHz and applied high shelf filter to get a bit more bass from the speakers.

The best solution for me would be a decent usb sound card for my notebook and best possible way to connect Lyngdorf RP microphone to it and then redo the test to get best possible results within a cheap DIY at home way.

Rob Sinden

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Jacek – please give this a try and report back.

You’ll find if you do this you, while you get a nice-looking graph, it won’t sound great.

Peter Lyngdorf developed the first high end correction system over 20 years ago that looked great on paper but did not sound good. This is why Lyngdorf don’t produce graphs……

Jacek Frost

Jacek – please give this a try and report back.

You’ll find if you do this you, while you get a nice-looking graph, it won’t sound great.

Peter Lyngdorf developed the first high end correction system over 20 years ago that looked great on paper but did not sound good. This is why Lyngdorf don’t produce graphs……

Give what a try? Can you elaborate?

Jacek Frost

But I did it from the start...
I am running RP with the system in my office and after that I tweaked the sound to my liking by creating a new voicing.

I think you either misunderstood me or (more probable) my mediocre English is at fault here.

Last edited:

Rob Sinden

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hi Jacek

Sorry I misunderstood.

For room correction, if you have RoomPerfect, I’d suggest that you do what you already have - run RoomPerfect and leave it as it is….. because a better-looking graph does not translate to better sound.

For Voicings, I wouldn’t start with measurements and graphs. I’d find which of the presents you like the most and then (if the product you have has the option to adjust these), go into the edit feature and make a note of the filters that Voicing uses.

For example, if the Voicing you like adds these filters

Gain 1.5
Type Parametric
Frequency 3k
Q .3

Then make your own filter adjusting just one of the parameters, so increasing the gain to 2.5 for example.

This will make it clear what filter needs adjusting and you can then make a range of your own Voicings adjusting by slightly different amounts.

Jacek Frost

@Rob Sinden

What I did was a very crude experiment to "check" the frequency response of my speakers That was the goal, to see if it is even possible to have a similar result between android phone and apple tablet. I would also do it out of curiosity by using the provided Lyngdorf microphone but I do not have a necessary equipment to connect a XLR cable even to my laptop to an external and decent soundcard could be a solution but I am not willing to spend money on that just to make the test.

The sound tweaking was another experiment to see if it is possible to "correct" any peaks/dips and achieve a more linear response and if the changes will be detected by the apps.

Byproduct of this was a change in sound that was in the end "formally" adopted via a specific voicing parameters that sounded best to my ears. I already preferred Action2 voicing for my Bowers&Wilkins bookshelf but it was a bit too low freq focused. I added mid and high tones correction, adjusted lows a bit and end up with something that is so far the best.

I use different voicing with different time of the day and I really love the feature. When I want to focus on my work late in the night or change the sound to a bit softer during day and taking phone calls, the voicing are great feature to have.

Rob Sinden

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Thanks for the feedback.

I love the Voicing function too.

If your system sounds perfect at high volume level, it will sound bass light at lower volume levels, this was the reason for Loudness buttons years ago. This explains why you would need a different Voicing in the evening when you have to turn the system down a bit.

All systems would benefit from this feature.

Jacek Frost

@Rob Sinden

I never went higher with volume than -20 on the scale and it was because of low gain mp3 tracks. Most of the time I do not exceed -30/-35.

As for the bass, I use the different voicing because mostly there is too much low freq's for me and they are distracting. This is my office-room set up, not even optimised acoustically and while I appreciate the bass when I listen to the music, I want to tone it down when I work and music is just there for a light background.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom