1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for Cheap\ReFurb Plasma? (found Samsung?)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mattsimis, Jul 27, 2003.

1. mattsimis

mattsimis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Im in the market for a cheap plasma. Im really looking at under £2000 and dont mind refurbed, aesthetic damage or ex Demo models.

Best offer so far was for the Samsung PS-42P2 ex demo for £1750 in vat... but Bestbuy.co.uk (who I dont really trust\know anything about) have the newer, better spec'ed PPM-42 S3 for only £1878 inc Vat. The BestBuy unit is a new unit, with full warranty etc.

Both screens are Samsungs... at this price point are they really as bad as virtually everyone here says? Im mainly going to using them for PC connectivity and home cinema. Ive got a 5 year old (at least) LCD Projector at the moment... its really not all that hot anymore, so my standards are modest! :)
    Anyone know of any other 2nd hand, ex demos etc in my price range or thoughts on the Samsungs?

Matt

2. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Current NEW price for panasonic series-5 is around £2,500.
    You may find some individuals willing to sell relatively new ones for much less ( < 6 months old). Especially when the 'HD' version comes out later in the year.
    I realise you are aiming for ex-dem for under £2,000 but from the comments on this forum you may find someone willing to do a deal.
    IMO the panasonic-5 is a much brighter, better colour screen than the samsung.

Steve.

3. mattsimis

mattsimis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Presumably you are referring to the old Samsung vs the Panasonic? Im sure even the new one doesnt compare well, but its meant to be an improvement over S2.

Im looking around AV Forums for 2nd hand Plasma sales.. maybe Im looking in the wrong place, but Im not seeing any recently?

Matt

4. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    mattsimis
    Several members have been asking if dealers will take their series-5 in part-exchange against the new one (see the flicker threads from the last 2 weeks).
    This is mainly due to the flicker complaint, which many people never notice - check one out in a store (Whilst you still can).

Alternatively try starting a thread similar to 'anyone want to sell a panasonic series-5 for £2000 or less'. (if this is allowed ???).

One thing to bear in mind, due to the price drops in plasmas, many people paid over £4,000 originally.

Good luck, I'm sure someone will want to upgrade(!),

Steve.:)

5. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,812
  6. mattsimis

mattsimis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Yep, thats the one I was talking about above! ;)
    Still of two minds whether its worth it or not.

Im not sure where in Ireland I could find a Panasonic I could check out on display, there seems to be Samsungs everywhere however.

Matt

7. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    An acquaintance of mine sent back two Samsung plasmas because the picture was just so awful - so bad he thought the first was faulty. The second one had the same "fault" but when an engineer turned up to look at it, he said it was functioning perfectly!!

Surely if you're going to spend so much money on a TV you should get one with a decent picture?

8. mattsimis

mattsimis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah, Ive read that a few times here.. but how do you explain the rather decent to good reviews some Samsungs get in the press and online?

Is it a particular model thats "bad", surely all Samsungs cant be bad?

Matt

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Are you seriously suggesting that jounalists are trustworthy? In polls, they do worse than the prime ministers press secretary!!! Reviews are the 'opinion' of one person often with no time to experiment, and maybe with little serious product knowledge. Draw your own conclusions, lousy review=no more advertising? It'd be wonderful if the mags were impartial, but I'm a cynic. Samsung are old technology bought in from 'rivals', built down to a price. If it's really all you can afford, do it, but some serious bargaining should see you with a better screen for £2k, 2nd hand, ex demo, etc. My old co. passed on a fuji. 4242 for £2.2k not long ago, 5 dead pixels. 3 of them woke up of their own accord.... about 2 wks later. See what you can find, call everyone.

10. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Based on what I've seen of the Samsung screens in the shops (admitedly with a poor signal) I'd rather have a CRT to be honest.

11. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my experience most Samsung TVs have awful picture problems, everything from your standard glass tube TV to Plasma.

The customer service sucks too, would recommend you avoid.

12. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am in a similar position to you Matt.

Would love to get a nice plasma, but can't justify £3000 for one (like the Hitachi unit), max is around £2k or so, but would need wall mount and cables etc ontop, so maybe £2.5 all in

Only solution is ex-demo etc, but then problem is with warranty, only JL do a decent length/cost warranty, but would have to pay full price for display.

So at the moment, no plasma for us :(

Gary

13. Vipen

Vipen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    same here, i got 2k to burn. i don't want to rent anymore, my contract is finished. do i renew it and get a new toshiba 36", buy a crt 36", buy a 32" and save some money or get a cheap plasma.

damn, this has been going on for two months now and i'm no nearer a decision.

i keep thinking someone will say 'check this out' and it will be my cheap groundbreaking hot new revolutionary screenj burn proof 42" plasma. er, no, not going to happen. hmmm, decisions, decisions....

14. moeman

moeman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried Robertwhyteltd.co.uk, they have graded Pana 42pw5 for £2200.

15. Vipen

Vipen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    what is graded btw? always seen it but never bought one. is this panny a good model??

also, what else would i need?

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Graded is factory repack/cosmetic damage etc you would only need a stand or wall mount and can connect direct to the screen.

Techtronics are advertising 42PW6 for £2400!!!!

17. gfc

gfc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw 37" Panny5 with tuner and stand for just under £2500 in Curry's over the weekend. Asked if it was for ex demo, brand new etc as they had another priced for £3500 and adviser said it would be "brand new out the box"???