Looking for CD Player

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Barr_y, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Barr_y

Barr_y
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am not a great music lover more for films really, but I wondered if anybody would know if the Marantz CD 5400 or the NAD C521BEE players are any good with the Denon AVR 3806. I don't want to spend a great deal. At the moment I have the Denon DVD2910 and a Panasonic DMR-ES30VEB, and I must say the Panasonic sounds better with CDs in Pure Direct. I just wondered if a dedicated CD player would be better though. Any suggestions would be welcome thank you.

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    You have basically answered the question yourself! Using pure direct the 3805/6 amps are capable of very good stereo performance via the CD in. The only question is which of the 2 CD players you prefer the sound of. An additional possibility is use of a DAC with your DVD player and amp.

3. Barr_y

Barr_y
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you for your answer.I was hoping after Christmas to be able to listen to both at Richer Sounds, to see what they sound like. Sorry I am not sure what a DAC is. Neither of the two players I have at the moment are plugged into the back of the amp via CD input. Denon is connected with digital lead and my Panasonic is connected with Optical lead for 5.1 digital film sound.

4. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    My DAC. It fits between the player and the amp and provides an alternative method of converting digital to analogue. There are various different options ranging in price from very little to lots and lots! However I think you can do better with your existing setup. Try an all analogue setup by connecting your DVD into the amp using phono connectors and setting both the DVD and amp to pure direct.

5. Barr_y

Barr_y
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi cable monkey, I know how to set the AMP to pure Direct but not sure how to set the Panasonic DVD to pure direct. I already have the Panasonic DVD connected by Optical cable to the amp, can I also use phono connectors into the CD of my AMP. Shows how much I listen to music doesn't it.:confused:

6. ssuellid

ssuellid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have a Denon 3802 and 2910 and used to use a NAD C521BEE player for music. The NAD is far better than the 2910 for CDs.

For music the Denon AV amps are not the worst but easily bettered by a decent sub £200 dedicated stereo amp. I found the best performance was from using the analogue (phonos) of the NAD.

I've seen the NAD C521BEE going for around £120 on here and ebay.

7. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Perhaps a 3802, but I would challenge that assertion regarding the 3805/6. ;)

Barr_y, your sig says you have a 2910? I was talking about that with regards to the pure direct modes.

8. ssuellid

ssuellid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    No, they sound pretty much the same. I demoed the NAD with a 3805 in store before purchasing it - it was one of the reasons that I did not upgrade from my 3802 - the new Denons are not much better for stereo sound quality.

9. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Cool, can't argue with that. :)

10. Barr_y

Barr_y
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think that is one of the reasons I selected the NAD C521BEE for sound. I thought the 2910 played CDs a little muffled, at least that is what my wife said. The Panasonic DVD in pure mode was much clearer. That is why I wanted to know if anybody had the NAD with the 3806 amp, to see if it was worth buying. Thank you for information ssuellid. What are you using now though?

11. ssuellid

ssuellid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Cyrus 8x which is a bit of a cost and performance leap from the NAD. I'm still using the 3802 but have the front left and right pre cabled up to a dedicated stereo amp. The CD is then connected directly to the stereo amp. It means I can use 1 set of speakers for decent AV and plain stereo.

I have kept the NAD tho - its going into a second system at some point. Its a very good player for the money and I would happily recommend it to anyone.

12. Barr_y

Barr_y
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    So you have a really good set-up now then. Thank you for that. I have two CDs of Angelis which I must say is fantastic to listen to. I put them both on at the same time and switched with the 3806 control and I can hear the difference between the Denon 2910 and the cheaper Panasonic, both played pure direct, and still the Panasonic is clearer. So after Christmas I might try the Nad or the Marantz whichever sounds better. I think Denon may need to work on their output for CDs a bit more

13. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    just like to say, try plugging the Denon DVD player in to the Denon amp using RCA stereo connections, rather than using digital......when using digital, essentially it is the amp doing the decoding, not the player...

you might find the Denon DVD player sounds a bit better then...

i use my 3910 as a source at the moment till i can afford the CD player/DAC of my choice, i use it with both my 3803 (fantastic amp for movies and stereo, imo better than both the 3802 before it and the 3805/3806 after it) and MA Silver S6 speakers, but also my MF A5 and MA GR10 speakers....

i find the 3910 is happily on a par with something of the Arcam CD73's quality using the RCA stereo connection......from what i remember listening to a 2910, it wasnt quite up to that standard, but wasnt a massive difference behind...

but as i say, if using digital connection then you are not really listening to the player, you are listening to the amp.....fair enough if the amp has better DACs etc then use it....but if its not sounding right, it isnt an expensive option to try buying a RCA stereo cable and hooking up that way ;)

14. Barr_y

Barr_y
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Knight_byte if I do that can I still leave the Digital connection in for my film viewing. I watch films more than I listen to music, and would hate having to keep changing and assigning the leads.

15. sk8

sk8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    i've got my 1930 connected to the amp via co axial and then connected the phono output to the cd input of my 2307. Works fine - best of both worlds :D

Have to thank Creative audio for that tip in there setting up guide

16. sk8

sk8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    and no probs for films, select dvd and for music select cd

17. Barr_y

Barr_y
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have answered my own question. I found on the back of my 2910 stereo plugs which I have now plugged into the CD of my 3806 and played with pure direct on and just stereo by selecting CD on my amp.

The sound I thought was quite good and of course the DVD part of the amp and DVD player work as normal when I put a film in. So thank you everybody that contributed to my posting.

For the amount I listen to music I think the sound is excellent and don't think I need to buy a separate CD player now.

Thanks Sky8 I already use the phono plugs for my project turntable. I also bought my Denon and speakers at Creative Audio.

18. sk8

sk8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    thats my next thing, to get a turntable hooked up

creative audio are great :thumbsup: