Looking for camera to replace my Canon SX700 for youtube and photos around £250

tvdavid

Hello
Just looking for a digital camera for my youtube videos and for pictures to.
I had the Canon SX700 but think its time for change.
I wonder if any these will be better?
If no comments it does not really matter as I am going to use this thread to list the ones I am looking at so can compare later

OK

Here are some if I find more I will edit this.
Though do need at least 1080P video. so hope these are good for that.
Note I also have a panasonic hc-v700 which I really like and an LG G3.

Sony DSCHX300V
Digital Compact Bridge Camera with High Quality Lens (Electronic View Finder, 20.4 MP, 50x Optical High Zoom) - Black

Sony Cyber-shot RX100 II
20.2 MP though right at top budget for a used one and only 3X zoom

Sony DSC-RX100 with 16gb card

OLYMPUS STYLUS TRAVELLER SP-100EE
16 megapixel BSI CMOS sensor combined with the powerful TruePic processing engine and with the Olympus lens with a 50x optical zoom (35mm equivalent: 24 – 1200mm)

Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ72
Bridge Camera, HD 1080p, 16.1MP, 60x Optical Zoom, 3” LCD

Panasonic Lumix DMC TZ70
HD 1080p, 12.1MP, 30x Optical Zoom, NFC, Wi-Fi, Manual Control Ring, Live View Finder, 3" LCD
Has RAW files

New Nikon D3300 Digital SLR Camera
with 18-55mm VR II Lens Kit - Black (24.2MP) right at top budget
50p/60p and with continuous autofocus. Helpfully, there's a microphone port as well as a built-in stereo mic for better sound recording during movie shooting.
Do not see any bad thing about this one yet.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V
HD 1080p, 18.2 MP, 30x Optical Zoom, Wi-Fi, NFC, OLED EVF, 3" Tilting Screen
Review says not as good in low light

Nikon Coolpix P610
  • 16 megapixels
  • Sensor type: CMOS (Full HD 1080p video)
  • Optical zoom: 60x
  • 76.2 mm LCD vari-angle screen
  • Built-in WiFi & GPS & NFC

Sony Cyber-shot Camera DSC-HX60V
HD 1080p, 20.4MP, 30x Optical Zoom, 60x Clear Image Zoom, Wi-Fi, NFC, 3" LCD

Panasonic Lumix TZ60
HD 1080p, 18.1MP, 30x Optical Zoom, Wi-Fi, NFC, GPS & GLONASS, EVF, 3” Screen

X Nikon Coolpix S9900
16MP, Full HD 1080p, NFC, Built-In Wi-Fi, GPS, 3" LCD Vari-angle Screen X no 1080P60

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ40EB-K
HD 1080p, 16MP, 20x Optical Zoom, Wi-Fi, 3" High Resolution Flip Screen,

OK I will add more if I see some and let you know which I pick.
Another thing is good battery when videoing and not to have AA battery's.

OK
Another one to add is the
Nikon 1 J5 Compact System Camera - Black (20.8 MP, 10 - 30 mm PD-Zoom Lens Kit, but poor 4K Movie Shooting) though I do not really need 4K right top budget again will try for a used one maybe.

Last edited:

tvdavid

OK
After about a week looking I found a PANASONIC LUMIX DMC-G6EkB Camera +14-42mm kit Lns on ebay which was £240 and from what I have seen on youtube the video quality is very good and should be quite an improvement over my SX700 this not have much zoom but has a microphone in put which might come in handy to plus also has the flash built in.
Plus so many more features.
And camera lens can be upgraded.
Bye

AMc

Distinguished Member
Good luck with your new camera - Panasonic are well regarded for video on the Micro 4/3rds system. You can also use lenses from Olympus and 3rd parties like Sigma.
I have this 40-150mm Olympus lens. It's silly money new but under £100 used.
M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 40‑150mm 1:4.0‑5.6 R - OM-D & Pen Lenses - Olympus

Panasonic also lenses in that zoom range and price. Olympus have stabilisation in the camera body and Panasonic in some lenses but not all - something to watch for if you're planning on video at longer zoom.

tvdavid

The first thing I might buy for it is an AC adapter seen plenty you can get for this and another battery which will help with the power.

tvdavid

So I heard you can get lens adapters for the G6 camera.
Well I found this lens and camera in the garage the other day
Though there is not much about it on line.
Can this be made to work with my G6 and would this give a good zoom?

20151205_190456

20151205_190513

Also The camera

20151205_191033

AMc

Distinguished Member
Your old 200mm lens will get you some reach but it looks to be a fixed focal length rather than a zoom lens. It has manual aperture and manual focus so you'll be relying on whatever focus and exposure aids the G6 has - not got a Panasonic camera but I'm sure you'll work it out.

As for the mount adapter your eBay link shows two - the £30 one is a tilt/shift adapter. That will change the plane of focus of the lens depending on how you tilt the lens creating a minature effect.
Tilt–shift photography - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I doubt that is something you'd want unless you're specifically looking for that effect.

The cheaper £4 one will simply adapt the Micro 4/3rds mount to an M42 mount allowing you to connect the lens to the camera - there aren't any electronics to connect so it should work fine assuming your legacy lens is a M42 mount. Worth checking carefully, as you'll be waiting a while for it to come from China.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom