Looking for buying advice in UK

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by leen3o, Sep 3, 2012.

1. leen3o

leen3o
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So my old 42" LG LCD Tv has almost given up the ghost, so I'm looking for advice on my next TV.

My goals are.

- 52 to 55"
    - LCD or LED Wall mountable
    - Looking for a TV that has apps, I want things like iplayer, netflix etc... directly from TV
    - I love my blu-rays, so want stunning pictures and as best sound as possible

So if you had these goals what would you be looking to buy? :lease: let me know below

2. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Have a look in the Which TV section, lots of similar questions

What is the budget? Can you attach the TV directly to your broadband router or will you need wi-fi

With whichever TV you choose, you will undoubtedly need to budget for and add a sound system if looking for cinema type sound

Also consider plasma for film usage, deeper blacks, more natural colours (preferable unless you really only watch cartoons) and no backlight bleed which will almost certainly affect any LED/LCD to some degree due to the technology used (which might be a bugbear if you watch anything even slightly dark in a darkened room)

The Samsung 55ES8000 is probably the top LED-LCD

3. leen3o

leen3o
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Vickster - Answered in orange below :)

What is the budget? Can you attach the TV directly to your broadband router or will you need wi-fi
    I was going to plug it directly into the router, budget was about £1000 to £1500'ish

With whichever TV you choose, you will undoubtedly need to budget for and add a sound system if looking for cinema type sound
    I was going to add one of those Bose CineMate® 1 SR single speakers as I'm very tight for room?

Also consider plasma for film usage, deeper blacks, more natural colours (preferable unless you really only watch cartoons) and no backlight bleed which will almost certainly affect any LED/LCD to some degree due to the technology used (which might be a bugbear if you watch anything even slightly dark in a darkened room)
    I was going for LED/LCD because I am wall mounting and was under the impression all Plasmas were massive compared to LCD/LED? Also I though the picture wasn't as sharp/good on plasma?

The Samsung 55ES8000 is probably the top LED-LCD
    Thanks, I was looking at this one :)

4. Curly99

Curly99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    thread moved

Curly

5. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Think again about plasma;) many are very slim now, only beaten by LED LCD sets.
    A lot of plasma owners on here mount, if you ask on the plasma forum Imo sure members will be happy to show you their setups. Plasma is better value IMO though not for all, Id just not rule them out without seeing.

6. leen3o

leen3o
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm ok I'll have a ponder - And thanks :)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  7. LEDisthekey

LEDisthekey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

How about a 55LM860V?
    55" LED 3D SMART Wi-Fi Built in Freeview HD TV, around 9,000,000:1 Contrast Ratio 800Hz MCI, Frameless Design

I saw this at a TV shop in Hanworth for under £1500.
    The shop is called KCS&V, I haven't bought one from them yet but they seem to have a good review on ebay.

Hope it helps