1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for better stereo performance....longish post!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Adele, Dec 24, 2002.

1. Adele

Adele

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello - I wonder if I can get some advice please. I have the following setup which I'm very happy with for cinema sound:

Amp: Denon AVR3802
    CD Player: Marantz CD63
    DVD Player: Denon 2800 Mk II
    Speakers: Monitor Audio Silver 8i/10i/fxi
    Speaker Cable: Silver Anniversary Biwire (for 8i/10i's) Silver Anniversary - rears
    CD-Amp connection: Ecosse Conductor (mark 1 - CA1)
    DVD-Amp connection: Profigold coax PGD 481
    Subwoofer: MJ Acoustics Pro 50
    TV: Toshiba 32ZD26

However, I'm not sure I'm getting the best stereo sound from my CDs given that the Monitor Audio 8i's are meant to be pretty good with music.

Do you have any advice as to how I can use the 8i's for both stereo music AND films with perhaps an additional stereo amp (and/or new CD player?) - how could this be connected so that my 8i's could be used for both films and music without having to change cables about?

Many thanks in advance for your help!
    Adele.

2. garry_brock

garry_brock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Adele,

It seems to me that you already have a pretty excellent setup..!! although if you want to experiment with a seperate 2-ch stereo amp, you could try searching these forums as there are many threads along these lines... and fairly recently too:)

Happy Christmas!

Garry

3. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
  4. MrC

MrC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Adele,

I've got a similar setup to you
    3802, Marantz cd6000ki, 2800mkII with silver an bi-wire

Had some reservations about the 3802's stereo performance (would make me go to sleep on long listening periods) Hooked up an Arcam A85 and couldn't be happier. The A85 & A75 both have processor features for intergration into HT setups.

5. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    adding an amp like arcam a85 does not cause to many problems as advised above because of its (proc mode) only one volume control to juggle, but if using a differant brand of amp,you have 2 volume controls to adjust, (3802 test tone through integrated to balance fronts) the integrated amps volume will be near the 12 o clock mark, so if you play a dvd,then want cd replay,you need to rember to turn the volume down on integrated, otherwise you will have it set on near nigh max volume, also you " lose the sub) if connected at low level only, for musick unless you use a spare input on 3802 (say vdp on 3802 and aux etc on integrated) have both amps on set 3802 to sterio,or pl2, if you want denons tuner ,both amps on,etc not really the best solution, if you upgrade to higher spec av this gets costly, hence the (dilema) unless you have space for seperate av and sterio system

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I used to connect my storm to both AV amp and stereo amp..... the input from the stereo amp just becomes inactive with the other signal present, to my knowledge.

ad

7. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    How did you do that? As a matter of fact, how does one connect a sub to a stereo amp?

Michael.

8. rjw

rjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi-level inputs. Just connect it up as a speaker.

9. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    But then where do you connect your speakers? I guess I could use the SP2 speaker connections - do you connect it in stereo (ie does it have left/right connections)? I guess it must do to catch LF information that's only in one channel.

IMO it would be much better if you could connect it to a line level output (ie pre-outs or tape loop) - a sub does it's own amplification anyway so why does it need a high level signal?

Michael.

10. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well I was instructed to connect it to the same terminals as the speakers....... although i thought there were potential implications to this, Im guessing the hi-level input has a high input impedence so ends up having negligible effect on the main speakers..... at least thats what i observed.

ad

11. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Swap the 3802 for a Marantz SR7200 or SR7300 - either will murder the 3802 in stereo.

12. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you want stereo and movie performance, your best way is to get a stereo integrated for your front channels. Connest your (perfectly good) cd player straight to the stereo amp and siply connect the preouts fro the denon to an aux input.

It shouldnt take a fortune of stereo amp to better the denon, £300 and you wont get a better stereo performance from an av amp under £1k

ad

13. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have a two-month old NAD c370 integrated amp for sale if you are interested. [​IMG]

Looking for £300 inc. delivery, but am open to offers. A fine sounding and very powerful amp - peerless in its price range, IMHO.

MuFu.

14. boogie man

boogie man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    have you try rotel rb1070/1080 power amp to power the fronts with ...

My setup

Denon AVC A1SE AV Amp
    Rotel RB 1070 Power Amp to drive fronts for stereo
    B&W CDM 7SE Fronts
    Meridian 506.20 bit Cd player

etc...

Well All i Can Say Is Wow... you can try to update you cd player or try a power amp for stereo on your fronts..:eek:

boogie man

15. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Michaelab, your intuition is correct. The sub should be connected via the pre-outs. This gives better bass quality because it bypasses the amp/receiver's amplifier stage.

16. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    if you add a power amp you are still using the 3802 preamp section have no experience of rotel power, but did try recently, denon poa-t10 120w,thx certified power driving fronts, this did not improve sterio, (3802+cd+power) added cyrus c7 integrated to 3802,with cd connected to c7,this gave more improvment than the denon power, to be fair the 1070 is sterio power amp ,whereas the poat10 is more av orentated, if having only (1) center rear vs 2 speaker is not an issue, you could as suggested above try marantz sr7300 £530) home dem if possible ,try in sterio and av against 3802, if marantz is suitable, sell 3802 approx £450, outlay £80, only one box, no need to juggle 2 volumes etc

17. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you want AV improvement, add a separate power amp, if you want stereo improvement, you need to add an integrated amp or a pre power stereo combo..... id argue that the pre amp section is the most important part of the chain for stereo performance.

ad

18. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    what about adding a 2ch pre amp like a rotel 03 whatever its called. could you then take the pre-outs from it into the denon 3802 to drive the speakers and work it that way? its an idea thats just occure to me, the 3802 has plenty of power so why not just upgrade the bit thats the weakest link? or even try a linn kolektor which is a little bit more money:)

19. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does the 3802 have power ins? Surely if it did you'd end up bypassing the front channel info that it would want to send because that channel is connected to something else?? Or do you mean just connect the stereo pre's pre outs to an input on the denon....... in which case youd end up using the denons pre anyhow...... or am i missing something!? :D

ad

20. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    ahhh, just testing, thought it sounded too good to be true:blush: