1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for Bands similar to A perfect Circle

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Hawklord, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    As title really. I have been enjoying both their albums as well as all of Tools offerings but was wandering if anyone could recomend anything similar?
    I like APC's sound over Tools if the truth be known as it's less dark and more melodic. I look forward to Tools new album in the coming months but has APC got anything on the horizon?

2. wolfeh

wolfeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Theres a APC remix album in the works

http://www.aperfectcircle.com/bodies.html

It is being sold as "new material", but from what I gather (i probably dont have all the facts tho) its just a remix album with some covers. I for one will be checking it out still :)

As for other bands like apc i dont really know what to suggest :confused: , other than tool. Which of course you already have done :)

3. Toasty

Toasty
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,163
    Yeah, a perfect circle have a fairly unique sound. In a similar vain, try Incubus, Disturbed, Paradise lost, oh and possibly Queensryche.

4. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Incubus led me to APC in a similar thread. I've been a fan of Queensryche since Operation Mind crime but I've never listened to any Disturbed or Paradise Lost. I'll check them out thanks:)

5. roscopervis

roscopervis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I would look at these bands:

Ultraspank Both their self titled first album and their last - Progress.

Also You really MUST if you like APC check out Devin Townsend's Ocean Machine - Biomech album. I guarantee you will love that.

Queensryche is a good call, but Disturbed are a bit dated already. Paradise lost are good,but their earlier stuff is very heavy metal and so is their last. They did do few softer algums in the late 90's.

I think the above mentioned, although pretty unheard of before, are the closest things stylistically to APC and Tool, which are my fave bands!

6. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Thanks ordered those on your recomendation. I'll let you know my thoughts when they arrive and I've had a good listen. Which paradise lost cd's are the ones to look out for?

7. Toasty

Toasty
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,163
    My favourite is Draconian Times, the mix of chugging guitars and piano is great. I agree with roscopervis to a degree, but I don't think it helped that the singer sounded like James Hetfield earlier on, but then I don't mind it a bit heavy either ;) I've not go their latest album.

8. roscopervis

roscopervis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I really like Draconian Times and Icon, but only have songs from the later albums cos they were hit and miss. If you like that then Anathema's Alternative 4 and Judgement are also flipping brilliant!

9. jurassicmark

jurassicmark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Try a band called Chevelle, I wonder whats next is the album title. I picked this up after hearing them play on an american alt. music station. Very similar to APC, just subtle differences. I bought it in the USA and have never heard of the band before, it was the similarity to APC that made me purchase a copy.

11. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Thanks I'll try and find a copy:)

Fortunately play had a copy in stock for £9.99 so I could n't resist :zonked:

I'll post my thoughts when I've had a good listen :clap:

12. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Whoaa thats exactly what I paid.............but in dollars heh heh heh

13. cityonfire

cityonfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paradise lost albums to get:
    Draconian Times: Fairly heavy but fairly diverse tunes
    One Second: More upbeat sound, IMHO very underated

Devin Townsend albums to get:

TERRIA:
    Ocean Machine Biomech:
    Accelerated Evolution:

All three of these albums are works of art to me there are some heavier parts to certain songs but his use of melody in all his songs throughout the albums is amazing.
    The guy is such a talent on the guitar. All should be under the name devin townsend if you goto somewhere like HMV. TERRIA could be a little harder to find as its hardly in stock the deluxe edition was only £8.99. Thats the album i would recommend first. closely followed by Biomech.

But if you want really heavy stuff by him get either these two albums by him,

Heavy as a really heavy thing:
    Strapping Young Lad:

These are both by his band called Strapping Young Lad. Heavy as a really heavy thing is the one to get first too.

14. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    Some of Creed's stuff is similar to APC, you might want to give them a shot.

15. Floodedstatue

Floodedstatue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    How about Mastodon?

Their new album 'Leviathan' is heavy and intricate. Highly recommended :smashin:

16. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Have you listened to it yet ?

After several listens Im beginning to wonder if this is actually better than APC :eek: Now Im able to listen to it on my system.........whoa theres some really low bass detail in this album, one for sub woofer freaks.........its so much more alive.

17. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    There was a delay because my debit card expired so it was only despatched yesterday.:(
    All being well I have it sometime next week.:D
    Got quite a few cd's on their way to me now including Antics by Interpol that I'm very much looking forward too.Got a couple of cd's of Devin Townsend on their way too that have been recomended so I should be kept fairly busy with that lot for a while.

18. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,752
    I've just been listening to snippets of Chevelle via Itunes and must say that I'm impressed. Looks like I'll be buying the Wonder What's Next album. There's also an earlier album called Point#1, and a new one coming out on 4th October.

19. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I think the earlier album is not as good as WWN the later album didnt really get a good review either. WWN apparently went platinum :eek: yet they are relatively unknown in the UK, maybe Ive started something and they will give me a share of their profits :rolleyes:

20. roscopervis

roscopervis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11

Dont forget Infinity, but another fan!! Woohoo!! Biomech is my favourite DT album, and most like APC. City is the Strapping Young Lad album to get. Its a benchmark. Heavy has a dodgy sound but the new one is amazing.

Mastodon are great but nothing like APC!!! A fair bit heavier.

And Creed are a bit um....rubbish I think is the word.

21. cityonfire

cityonfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Erm why the hell did i say Heavy as a really heavy thing is the album to get??????? Yes get city instead its a stonking album. Must of got confused with somebody else actually mentioning Devin. IMHO Heavy as a really heavy thing is the worst album he has done. Kind of strange to considering he wrote his BIOMECH album before it if i remember right.

22. roscopervis

roscopervis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Some bits, Biomech was written over many years. if you get a chance try and find the song Oceanmachines, its breathtaking!!

Heavy has some good ideas but puny mixing and production.

BUT Strapping dont sound anything like APC, SYL are very heavy and fast whereas Devin's personal work is much more melodic and slower.

23. cheeseywang

cheeseywang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    AMG recommends Smashing Pumpkins and Killing Joke as being similar. I'm not particularly a fan of either, but we know a man who is :hiya:

I reckon it might be worth you listening to Auf De Maur though...

24. skimber

skimber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try "Letting Go" by a band called Earshot... At times their vocalist sounds uncannily like Maynard James Keenan, in particular on the track "Get Away"

25. roscopervis

roscopervis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Any news on this??

I have also thought that Filter might be up you street, specifically the album called "Title of the Record"

26. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261

Hah, several listens convince me they are not as good as APC. To much of a Tool clone, still good though.

27. skimber

skimber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tool clone?? Are we talking about the same band? I've just skipped through the album on Listen.com Rhapsody and it just sounds like generic alt metal to me without out any of the originality or inventiveness of either APC or Tool. Certainly a cloned band... but more akin to the likes of recent incubus, lost prophets etc.... am i missing something...

Sorry... went off on one a bit there :)

28. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Probably didnt quite phrase that comment correctly.

They are a copycat Tool band, but dont sound exactly like them on every track. However, there are several tracks that you could mix into an APC album and it would be difficult to differentiate. Some tracks sound typical alt. metal, but the original thread requested bands that sounded like APC and this is as close as Ive heard.

29. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Thought I'd revisit this thread after listening to the Remix cd on the aMOTION dvd A perfect circle recently released (not got around to watching the dvd yet though :blush: ). Although it's basic musical structure has changed you still get the emotional impact coming through in bucket loads and I really quite like it. It's not been off my cdp all week and it's a grower too. :smashin: I recomend you check it out if you haven't already it breaths new life into the material (although can't replace the originals imo);)
    Thanks for all your recomendations too I'm thoroughly enjoying the chevelle cd as well as white pony and some of the Devin townsend cd's (although physicist is a bit too busy for my liking). I've not made my mind up over ultraspank either but I've only listened to their cd's a few times tbh.

I'm very glad I bought the Naim CD5i some months ago as it presents all the new and old material in my collection wonderfully. I wish I had invested in a decent sound system years ago (If only I could've afforded one) as the enjoyment it is giving me now is fantastic :clap:

Has anyone found any new gems recently in a similiar vein I should look out for ;)

30. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261

Right, Im going to suggest a couple of albums that dont quite fit the description, but that you should at least have an appreciation of as they produce a similar sort of sound, but are not identical, but are clearly the influence behind Tool /Perfect Circle :

Faith No More - Angel Dust a real genius of an album with Mike Patton who is currently working with Tool.

The Melvins - Houdini slow and heavy with that neat melodic twist.

Killing Joke - The first KJ album which contained 'Wardance' and 'Requiem'. KJ are performing a 2 night gig next year and guess who is rumoured to be pounding the Skins, Danny from Tool. KJ have been responsible for influencing just about everyone at one time or another including dance anthems.

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream, theres definitely an influence on APC here.

and finally Nine Inch Nails.....where did you think Billy came from originally. Try Pretty Hate Machine

and finally a la Monty Python..................King Crimson, who are responsible for so much and so little. They grooved around on themes just like Tool. Albums to choose, well its a difficult one as they vary so much. Larks Tongues in Aspic is probably as good a place as anywhere. Then you can just go backwards and forwards from Discipline right back to Court of The Crimson King.