1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for an upgrade to my Pioneer 626D

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by spikeyboyo, Oct 28, 2002.

1. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The time has come to upgrade my now aging Pioneer 626D :( poor old machine has seen me through 3 years with no problems - but now is the weakest link in my system. So its time to move it to the bedroom and buy a new player.

Price range around £750 - would prefer to have DVD-A and SACD as well.

Suggestions please.

Spike

2. rjw

rjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If you are happy with Pioneer I'd go for a 747 or 757?

3. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers - do you know what the main differences are between the 747 and the 757 ?

Also where would be the best place to buy one - need multi region with macro disabled - will be putting through a projector very soon.

Spike

4. rjw

rjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'll qualify all this by saying I have a 747, I've not seen a 757 in the flesh (as it were), but decided that I didn't really need what I could identify as it extra features, and I actually prefer the look of the 747.

Someone commented on a post here somewhere that the build quality of the 757 was "cheaper" than that of the 747. A quick search should find the thread in question.

Thie biggest apparent difference other than the new case, is the i.Link digital output, however this requires a Amp supporting the i.Link interface. I believe the Audio DAC's are different as well. According to Pioneer, the 757 only supports NTSC Progressive Scan, so don't expect PAL Progressive from it (yet).

I've not seen any macro-vision disabled players around. I got my 747 from LEConcepts for £600 a few weeks ago.

5. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers - presumably you are very happy with your 747 ? :)

I have seen on Techtronics web site that they do a macro disabled player - however the price does go up for that and im not to keen to order from them due to the previous bad repeorts for customer service.

Do you have a URL for LEConcepts.

Spike

6. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    i just made the same upgrade jump an i was looking at the tosh sd900 but after getting ther run anround for nearly a month an a half i gave up on it.any way i decided on a sony ns900 for the bargain price of 279 quid from www.multiregionmagic.co.uk an have to say i was astonishe4d by the difference.build quality is far an away superior to my mates 737 never mind my 626 an on the hole its just a better machine.obviously you want sacd an dvda so that rules out the ns900 but i would recommend a move away from pioneer just to see how sweet the grass is on the other side :D happy shopping mate

7. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
  8. rjw

rjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Very happy so far.

If you must be able to defeat macrovision, you can get a video-stabiliser instead from someone like http://www.lektropacks.co.uk/, this only works for SCART, but then so does the player from Techtronics, most of which actually use a special SCART lead rather than a mod to the player.

9. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Im a bit confused now as i have always been under the impression that Macro needs to be disabled in order to work on projectors - and i wouldnt want to connect via scart (dont think the PJ im looking at has scart socket) but rather to connect via componant - dont want to spend shed loads on a player only to find out it wont work on a PJ i later buy.

And i though buying the new TV was going to be the hardest part of the upgrade process - ahhhhhhhhhhh.

Spike

10. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to be a pain - just one other question - how does the Pioneer 747/757 rate as a Cd player as well - currently just use my 626 for playing Cd's.

My other equipment is:

Denon AVR 3300 amp - Will upgrade at some point.
    Ruark Prologue R one main spakers.
    Ruark Dialogue One R Center.
    Mission 77DS rears.
    Padigram 1000PS sub.

DvD-A and SACD combine is not the top priority (seeing as only the Pioneer does this combined) picture quality, Cinema Sound and CD sound are the top of the priority list. Just want to make sure i wouldnt be paying over the odds and sacrifising those three items just to have both DvD-A and SACD (so would settle for either DvD-a or SACD).

Spike

Spike

11. rjw

rjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well, it sounds good enough for me.

It's not intended to be my main CD player (I've got a Yamaha CDX-496 for that), but I listed to a CD through it the other day and it sounded fine.

12. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Umm just read some older threads and now thinking about the Tosh SD900e - only it doesnt do SVCD.

Anyone know how the 747 and Tosh compare on Audio and sound ??? seeing as the Tosh is now a fair bit older (reviewed in what hifi Feb 2001).

Spike