• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Looking for an upgrade path and component suggestions

BenW

I've been umming and ahhhing over new cables for a while but with no guarenteed improvement to my ears and my seperates being old i thought i'd get some oppinions.

Current setup

Pioneer Amp/Tape/Equaliser combo (60W/channel RMS at 8ohm etc) ~18yr old
Pioneer Tuner ~18yr old
Pioneer CD ~18yr old and occasionaly struggles to read some disks
Standard interconnects and 13 strand speaker cable

B&W 601S3
Yamaha YST-SW90 Sub
Soundstyle ST-122 speaker stands

I'm thinking the amp is the obvious upgrade but the tuner connects through a non standard connector that takes audio/remote and power. I don't listen to the radio that much (Maybe 10-20%) so i could loose it until i can afford a new tuner.

So i'm looking for upgrade path suggestions. I like my stereo to be
1) Precise trebles (I feel this is ok at the moment with the B&W tweeters)
2) Punchy and reasonably loud bass (B&W provide the punch to a certain depth and sub adds the lows but not as tight)
3) Similar sound to Pioneer + B&W but want an all round improvment
4) Want remote controllability

Thanks for any suggestions
Ben

rowlandhills

Ben,

You probably need to give us some idea of your budget, whether you want new or would be happy with second hand kit, and what type of music you like. Then you'll get some good advice here.

BenW

Thanks,

Quite happy to look at second hand (Preferably here or if that fails then ebay)
I'm in to all sorts of music except classical/opera/county/folk.
Budget, not set one but lets say ~£200

rowlandhills

I'd agree that the amp is probably the obvious place to start. I assume that you don't need tapes anymore, so a normal amplifier should do the job. The B&W 601's sound nice with Rotel amplification, in my view. A friend of mine had a Pioneer CD player, Rotel amp and B&W 601's a few years ago, and it was a lovely system.

I'm not sure exactly which model numbers would be best to look out for, but I'd think you should be able to pick up a Rotel integrated amp for £200. In fact, I'd also say that you could pick up a tuner for about £20 on eBay which would mean that you wouldn't have to be without radio for long either.

rowlandhills

BenW

Seems like they go for <&#163;50. Surely it can't be a worthwhile upgrade at that price?

I know wattage ratings aren't much to go by but my pioneer outputs 60w/channel RMS and the rotels only 35w/channel. I assume i should be looking for a higher rating to have more power reserves?

clockworks

BenW said:
Seems like they go for <£50. Surely it can't be a worthwhile upgrade at that price?

I know wattage ratings aren't much to go by but my pioneer outputs 60w/channel RMS and the rotels only 35w/channel. I assume i should be looking for a higher rating to have more power reserves?

Amplifier power ratings are pretty meaningless. A good 50 watt amp can go "louder", cleaner, than a mediocre 100 watt amp. A cheap amp will start to distort at relatively low levels. A good amp won't distort until it's past it's rated output.

With two good amps, doubling the output from 50 to 100 watts only increases the actual sound output by a relatively small amount, just 3dB. IIRC, 1dB increase is barely perceptible, while most people will notice a 3dB change.

rowlandhills

BenW said:
Seems like they go for <£50. Surely it can't be a worthwhile upgrade at that price?

Hmmm...that does seem cheaper than I'd expect. Maybe it's not the model that I'm thinking of.

However, it still might be an upgrade, as consumer electronics does depreciate at a horrible rate, so this amp could easily have been c£200 a 6 or 8 years ago. You can put together a pretty good system through eBay for £200 including CD, amp and speakers!

BenW

Was listening at a slightly higher level today and feel this really revealed the sound. I'm getting quite a bright sound, i know the B&W are notorious for being bright but don't know if the same goes for the Pioneer?

Anyway, i'll be saving some money (17 today :D) and buy something worthwhile, maybe a Rotel RA-02?

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom