Looking for an upgrade from Sony 65XF9005

michaelgordon

Which external devices do you plan to connect to the TV?
  • Yamaha AVR with UHD player, PS5 connected to it
What content will you watch on the TV?
  • UHD disk films
  • 4k Netflix plan
  • Amazon prime
  • Disney+
No broadcast TV at all

What proportion of your viewing will be broadcast TV shows, broadcast sport, broadcast movies, streaming TV/movies, DVDs, FHD Blu-Rays, UHD Blu-Rays or games?
Broadcast TV shows0%
Broadcast Sport0%
Broadcast Movies0%
Streaming TV shows or Movies70%
DVDs0%
HD Blu-Rays5%
UHD Blu-Rays25%
Games1%

Will you use internal or external apps or tuners for the following? If external, via which device?
  • Streaming services
Situational questions:
  • What TV are you currently using and what are expecting to see upgrading to a new TV? Sony 65XF9005
  • Are you a tweaker or set and forget kind of person? Tweak for best pic then leave it
  • What is your viewing distance? 3M
  • If you place yourself in the position of your TV facing towards where you watch, at what angle from the centre is each integral seating position? (Tip, use a protractor to measure angles). Straight on viewing only, no side angle needed
  • When will you use the TV and what kind of lighting will be in your room? Some examples:
    • Dark conditions during the day.
    • Dark movie nights in the evening.
Generally in the dark when watching disk films, dark room with light for most, no daylight viewing.
  • Would your usage of an OLED TV put you at risk of permanent burn in? Please read: OLED Burn In Risk - concerned but not overly having read up on burn in
  • Do you need any legacy connections like composite or component? No, hdmi arc to AVR
  • If using planning to use an internal tuner will you use satellite or free to air? No use

Please rearrange the following, in descending importance:
  1. Picture accuracy out of the box (without pro calibration)
  2. Blacks
  3. Shadow detail
  4. HDR Picture quality. See: What is HDR?
  5. Cost
  6. Value
  7. Smart TV ease of use
  8. Smart TV app selection
  9. Sound
  10. Viewing angles
Now for bugs, tell us your possible pet hates related to TVs, in descending order:
  1. Motion blur
  2. Motion judder with 24hz movies/TV shows. See: Judder-Free 24p on TVs
  3. Motion stutter
  4. Bad screen uniformity, Dirty Screen Effect, Clouding, Light Bleed, Blooming, Vignetting, Haloing
  5. Loss of detail in dark areas or crushed blacks.
  6. Raised blacks
  7. Reflective screens
  8. Colour banding. See: Gradients on TVs: Color bit depth (warning this is not the same as vertical banding, for vertical banding see bad screen uniformity).
  9. Slow smart TV
Any extra notes you'd like to add/questions not covered here?

Looking at upgrading now that the 21 models are coming out hoping to either pick up a bargain or wait until later in year for sensible prices on newer models.

I basically watch films on uhd disk at the weekends and streaming services from evening onwards, i dont watch and broadcast, sky or virgin TV. Im straight on viewing and usually dark.

Im after an upgrade to the TV i have needs to be 65 inch, i cant go any bigger, im looking to get the best picture possible and have basically always had Sony as they are good with motion. budget about £1500 and thats pushing it.

Dont know whether to go LED or OLED, im not really concerned about burn in, i dont watch much with anything static on the screen.

What would you recommend?

tvdavid

I am very happy with mine.
surprised its still selling and be fast.

tvdavid

the 55 inch oled would be in your budget though.

vickster

Distinguished Member
If you happen to be near Aberdeen this is a bargain
https://www.avforums.com/threads/sony-kd65xh9505bu-£863-96.2364893/#post-29345585

vickster

Distinguished Member
Rent one? Or a van?

Dodgexander

I would be looking to step up to a 75" with a TV like the Sony XH9505 or going for a 65" OLED in your position.

Your current TV is a hard act to follow, and with a limited budget I don't think upgrading to a TV like the 65XH9505 is even worth it, its not that much better than what you're using and the same size.

michaelgordon

I would be looking to step up to a 75" with a TV like the Sony XH9505 or going for a 65" OLED in your position.

Your current TV is a hard act to follow, and with a limited budget I don't think upgrading to a TV like the 65XH9505 is even worth it, its not that much better than what you're using and the same size.
Id love a 75 inch but havent got the room. I also think the XF was a recommendation from yourself a few years ago.

Dodgexander

Id love a 75 inch but havent got the room. I also think the XF was a recommendation from yourself a few years ago.
Its still a great TV today, TVs don't move on so fast. Is there something in particular you were hoping would be an improvement on a new model?

michaelgordon

Better picture, HDR/Dolby vision plus I think I would like to give OLED a go. I'm in two minds on the A8, If I have patience the new A80J may come down in price In a few months, would get the latest model with the latest processor and the Bravia streaming service. I'm hoping Vincent from HDTV test reviews it soon, he did an unboxing a couple says ago. If I could get that for around £2000 around black Friday time I may bite the bullet, would give time to pay off credit cards and save.

I've just finished upgrading my speakers, avr, stereo amp, music players and they are now all at the level where I don't think I'd get much better performance to cost, my end level gear and the tv currently isn't.

Dodgexander

The new panel is really the appealing thing about the A80J, together with 2x HDMI 2.1 ports. I don't think the processor will be that much better.

Its worth waiting for, but I'm not sure how much it will drop by since the new panel probably raises cost quite a bit.

When I think about it, the A8H was recently on offer on Amazon in the US for $1500 so I don't think
£2000 really is that good value for the A80J at all.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom