Looking for an Nvidia GFX card

Moldiver

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just got my 3D TV and i am fed up of all this mucking about to get 3D working so i am looking for an Nvidia card.

DX 11 if Nvidia do that and something that is better than my ATI 5870 which i bought for £315 new, so something along that price range or cheaper.

Also what's the deal with 3D vision, do i buy a card and buy the 3d vision? or just an nvidia card. Will be playing on a 3D tv so i allready have glasses and stuff.

Last edited:
What PSU have you got?

Straight up 580 gtx, the current flagship single core GPU, although prices at round about £340.

Nvidia offer two types of 3d. 3DTV play and 3d Vision. The former speaks for itself and is what you'll require but it costs £35 one off unless you own the 3d Vision kit (for 3d monitors) which makes it free. There is a 2 week trial of 3dtv play available to everyone. Once you have your card i will fully guide you on setting it all up.

Oooh 600w :rolleyes: . Best you list your entire system mate before any proper advice can be dished.

The 580 looks like the way to go but that link about the PSU's is a hefty read, would the 580 run sufficient on a 600w psu?
Im running a 580 on a 600w psu,check my sig....:smashin:

Dont forget it also depends on the quality of the 600w as well.

it depends on the 12v amps, check the manufacturer specs for the GPU's you are looking at and them check them against your PSU's specs....if you have more amps than the GPU requires, you should be fine with 600watts...

Before i buy this tomorrow is it worth moving from ATI to Nvidia? last 3 cards have been ATi and it's been a while since i had an Nvidia card. Also i will prolly pick up a new PSU aswell.

Last edited:
Before i buy this tomorrow is it worth moving from ATI to Nvidia? last 3 cards have been ATi and it's been a while since i had an Nvidia card. Also i will prolly pick up a new PSU aswell.
For 3D then definitely NVIDIA.

In general it all comes down to what best suits you - e.g. price, performance and features.

Before i buy this tomorrow is it worth moving from ATI to Nvidia? last 3 cards have been ATi and it's been a while since i had an Nvidia card.

Does the Nvidia need the 3D vision kit in order to get 3d from it ? Will that not add more cost ?

How does ATI handle 3d ?

Go for a 580, or if you can't stretch to that go for a 480... great prices on those at the moment.

Looks like it's the 580, any ideas on what make to buy and also anyone know if this is bigger than a 5870?
Same length as a 480 (touch over 10.5").

Does the Nvidia need the 3D vision kit in order to get 3d from it ? Will that not add more cost ?

How does ATI handle 3d ?

No, he has a 3dTV so is going to use Nvidias 3DTV play software which doesn't need the kit however the softwaere is not free, think its £30 odd (rip off:mad:). There is a 2 week trial and of course..... workarounds.

ATI 3D = Oxymoron :smashin:.

Looks like it's the 580, any ideas on what make to buy and also anyone know if this is bigger than a 5870?

I just got myself the MSI GTX580 Twin Frozr 2 OC edition, and have to say its fantastic, way quieter than my old GTX295 and sits at around 30 degrees at idle, not seen it go above 70 when gaming..it blows away games at the maximum settings, needless to say I could not be happier with mine!

got it from overclockers

MSI GeForce GTX 580 OC Twin FrozR II 1536MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card [N580GTX-TwinFrozrII ]

The GTX580 is an awesome card especially when overclocked. I've been running 2560x1440 res on high settings with about 4-8xAA at over 60fps.

If you can stretch then go for it and depending if your memory, CPU is overclocked a new PSU would be recommended.

The GTX580 is an awesome card especially when overclocked. I've been running 2560x1440 res on high settings with about 4-8xAA at over 60fps.

If you can stretch then go for it and depending if your memory, CPU is overclocked a new PSU would be recommended.

dave what 580 is it you have and whats your oc like?, trying too see if its worth clocking mine :devil:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom