1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for an mp3 device to stream audio to my hifi

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by gavan, Jan 23, 2005.

1. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Hi,

I'm looking for an mp3 compatible streaming media device that will play mp3s from an SMB (windows filesharing) share on my hifi. It should have at least a built in wired 10/100 ethernet port as well as 802.11g options. Also I'd like to see a TOSlink digital output, a nice large screen (for mp3 information and browsing the music collection) and a decent IR remote.

Currently I'm playing all my mp3s on my hifi directly off of my iRiver H140 through the digital out. I'm very happy with the sound quality and convenience of not using CDs etc, but not being able to control it from my armchair/sofa is a bit of a pain. My router supports connection of a USB disk drive and sharing it via SMB, hence the idea of getting a dedicated mp3 streamer-like device that would offer more ease of use.

Does such a beast exist? I was thinking of modding my Xbox at some stage but then I'd need to have the TV on to operate it. Also the Xbox makes too much noise (system fan) for serious music listening. I'd much prefer a dedicated unit but nearly all the ones I can find use proprietary streaming methods which require you to have your PC switched on and dedicated server software installed. I'd much prefer to have the router which is always on doing the filesharing.

Cheers,

Gavan

2. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Take a look at the Roku Soundbridge M2000. I was planning on getting it before I changed my plans to the Mac Mini. Depending on how I do with that, I may or may not slide back to the Roku...

I have a couple of Squeezeboxes too but the display's a little small to be seen from accross the room.

3. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286

The Roku looks great BUT still needs the PC to be running with a music server on it - the same for the Squeezebox. If only those devices would support mounting a shared network drive and playing the music off of it.......

Gav