Looking for an HDR 4K TV

leeince

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Good Morning,

I looking to upgrade my 65" Hisense for a model that meets the minimum specifications for HER and has more that 2 4k compatible HDMI inputs and a low ms for gaming. The KS7000 would have been ideal but I'm going to be getting this on but now pay later through Very and they don't have it!.

My options are:

LG65UH770
LG65UH750
LG65SJ850V
Sony XE70
LG B7 OLED

The OLED is of course the most expensive but which is best value?

Will be mostly used for Sky Q and the new Xbox one X.

Thanks for your help.

Lee

a model that meets the minimum specifications for HER

Which ones?

HDR support is a scale. Nothing can currently reproduce the full colour and brightness range of the HDR standards but there are different definitions on what is a sensible minimum of support.

If you're after the KS7000 level of support them you can discount everything on your list except the B7. The first models in other ranges that meet that level would be the Sony XE90, Panasonic DX902, Samsung Q7 and Philips POS901 & POS9002.

a low ms for gaming.

There are several different characteristics measured in milliseconds, which one are you talking about? Response time? Input Lag? Something else?

Which ones?

HDR support is a scale. Nothing can currently reproduce the full colour and brightness range of the HDR standards but there are different definitions on what is a sensible minimum of support.

If you're after the KS7000 level of support them you can discount everything on your list except the B7. The first models in other ranges that meet that level would be the Sony XE90, Panasonic DX902, Samsung Q7 and Philips POS901 & POS9002.

There are several different characteristics measured in milliseconds, which one are you talking about? Response time? Input Lag? Something else?

I think I might need to see if I can locate a KS7000 for a decent price. Paying twice as.much for OLED doesn't seem value for money, would you agree?

When I mention MS I'm talking about response time.

Thanks for your reply, some.good info there!

I think I might need to see if I can locate a KS7000 for a decent price. Paying twice as.much for OLED doesn't seem value for money, would you agree?

Plenty of people would call the KS7000 a waste of money, you can get a TV that size for half the price.

It's just something you have to decide for yourself, how much of an improvement in picture quality you're willing to pay for.

Plenty of people would call the KS7000 a waste of money, you can get a TV that size for half the price.

It's just something you have to decide for yourself, how much of an improvement in picture quality you're willing to pay for.
I already own a 65 inch Hisense, can't remember the model but it was one of the first ones (730 I think) that got HDR added by a firmware upgrade.

The HDR is awful, the nit level is below 350 I believe and its HDR performance is bad.

I had the Xbox One S linked to it and any HDR material I put through it, either games or UHD didn't benefit from HDR being on.

With the One X coming soon and most people in the know saying HDR performance offers a large improvement in picture quality, larger than the resolution jump in most things I read, I want a set that performs well with HDR material.

The HDR is awful, the nit level is below 350 I believe and its HDR performance is bad.

If it looked worse with HDR turned on than with it turned off then that's it's software doing a poor job of adapting the HDR data to it's capabilities rather than a hardware limitation.

Judging by the recent shootout in London the B7 is one of the best HDR TVs on the market so I'd say it could definitely be worth it when your primary reason to upgrade is HDR support.

It does seem like the high brightness LCDs are still better for well lit rooms, but not the dimmer models like the XE90, Q7 and KS7000-9000 that typically reach around 500-600cd/m² in real world content. That's similar to an OLED but with a much cruder ability to use it.

If you do have a bright room then the Sony XE93 might be a good choice. A substantial saving over a B7 while being around 50% brighter for real world content and with very favourable reviews.

Bear in mind that the KS7000 is only cheaper because it is a year older, this time last year it was a ÂŁ1900 TV. Expect other prices to fall similarly if you're willing to wait.

Really this year the TV most likely to get close to the same value as the KS7000 for a price/performance standpoint will be the Sony XE9005.

But sometimes you can still find great deals on refurbs. You can get last years Panasonic DX902 which matches this years Sony XE9305 model for performance for ÂŁ1500. Just check out Panasonic's outlet store on eBay.

Some TVs are still kicking around refurbs/ex displays/open box at retailers too if you are lucky to still find them.

If you are limited to buying new though I would wait, wait until prices start to drop and just hope that very start to stock that Sony XE9005.

I would not consider a TV lower than that for HDR.

Really this year the TV most likely to get close to the same value as the KS7000 for a price/performance standpoint will be the Sony XE9005.

But sometimes you can still find great deals on refurbs. You can get last years Panasonic DX902 which matches this years Sony XE9305 model for performance for ÂŁ1500. Just check out Panasonic's outlet store on eBay.

Some TVs are still kicking around refurbs/ex displays/open box at retailers too if you are lucky to still find them.

If you are limited to buying new though I would wait, wait until prices start to drop and just hope that very start to stock that Sony XE9005.

What are your thoughts on the B7? Im very close to pulling the trigger but dont want to waste money if its not needed. Myain reason for the purchase is im geeting the one X and I want good HDR performance.etc for that.

Is the LGUH950V and good? Does it meet the spec for HDR?

Currys have the 9005 for ÂŁ1849 and the B7 can be had for ÂŁ2700 from Argos with a code.

Would I be better paying an extra ÂŁ850 and getting OLED? How is the B7 with HDR?

Is the 9005 a better tv that the KS7000?

Given the choice which would you go for?

What are your thoughts on the B7? Im very close to pulling the trigger but dont want to waste money if its not needed. Myain reason for the purchase is im geeting the one X and I want good HDR performance.etc for that.

Really you need to demo both TVs yourself to know what to expect. The LG OLEDs will be in a class of their own compared to the Sony XE9005, but sometimes people do prefer that LCDs can get brighter with HDR than OLEDs despite this. The choice is yours. OLEDs you get next to no motion blur, perfect blacks but you don't quite get the prominant brights like you do with high end LCDs like the Panasonic DX902 or Sony XE9305.

The Sony XE9005 doesn't get amazingly bright either, so against this the B7 or C7 OLEDs would be a lot better for HDR.

Is the LGUH950V and good? Does it meet the spec for HDR?
No, its not good. Avoid LG LCDs if you can.

Is the 9005 a better tv that the KS7000?
Overall it probably is yes. But not by much.
Given the choice which would you go for?

You have such a varying budget its hard to know. Its hard to compare TVs of the same price let alone differing prices. I think you would really benefit to seeing some HDR in the flesh in a demo, somewhere like richer sounds let you call to arrange demo's. You can then see the differences yourself between a LCD and OLED.

Here are some interesting comparisons you may find relevant:
OLED beats QLED in Philips TV Shoot-out

I can't link the other but its a recent shoot out from another UK website.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom