• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Looking for an AVR that excels at 2 channel music (budget £600)

kifi

Standard Member
Hi guys,

Looking to go to a one box solution, so in the market for an AVR. 2 Channel music is my priority, so which AVRs do well here up to a budget of £500/600 ?

Thanks in advance!

stevos

Distinguished Member
A tight budget. AVRs don't do a great job even at higher levels. Maybe you can pick up a 2nd hand Anthem or Marantz.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
What speakers do you have? Maybe get an AVR with preouts and then a stereo amp to power the front pair? or get a source select switch so can have front speakers connected to an AVR and stereo amp so can use the stereo amp with music.

kifi

Standard Member
Cheers. Seems like the opinion is divided, from also reading elsewhere. Some say he AVR and a 2 channel integrated will sound the same.

stevos

Distinguished Member
Absolutely for sure that 2 channel integrated combined with an AVR will sound better for 2 channels, no question.

An AVR is basically doing the job of 2.5-3 stereo amps (7 channel AVR vs 2 channel stereo amp) and then combine that with the cost of all the licences (DTS, DD, etc) and add a DAC to the question and you can see that a significantly cheaper 2 channel amp just doing 2 channels, with no decoding, no dac, etc will massively outperform it.

The issue is then you have a lopsided front spread, as the centre channel won't be driven the same as the main fronts, how much this will effect you will depend on how loud you play the movies and how good your speakers are etc. You also have the issue of budget, the more money you put into the stereo amp, the less you have for the AVR and therefore the surround sound side will suffer.

T7BSY

Banned
I find that the Arcam and Anthem both excel at 2 channel compared to the budget AVR, but even then they wont be the same as a £600 2 channel amp, none that i have heard anyway, but its a very good compromise, they lack features but sound quality is awsum and the ARC setup is second to none, i have had many budget just under £500 like the marantz 5009 and the Denon 2100, and the difference was night and day for me, and a big step up in sound quality for my ears.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom