Question Looking for an Analogue TV Tuner!

John Jennings

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, welcome back to the mid 1990s :)

Strictly this doesn't fit into this subforum, but I can't find a more relevant one!

I'm trying to send a good old UHF/VHF analogue* tv signal wirelessly from an aerial socket on the wall to my TV which is on the far side of the room. It's not possible to run cables, for a variety of practical reasons.

(*YES, Analogue! I live in an apartment building in Sweden and there's still free analogue tv coming out of the aerial socket on the wall. There's also DVB-C coming out of it (mostly encrypted channels), but that's not what I'm trying to transmit. I just want to send the analogue signal.)

Originally I'd intended to use an HDHomerun to send the signal to my Nvidia Shield/Android TV but, since discovering the signal is purely analogue, that option is out. (HD Homerun just does DVB/QAM etc). I did an exhaustive search for Kodi TV Add-Ons, but there are very few (working) Swedish channels that I can find (Halow TV is mostly dead links for Swedish). So, I'm back to looking for an analogue sending option. (All so that my wife can watch the news live on TV :))

The wireless sending bit is fine. I can find plenty of things like this on ebay. But, of course, I need something to do the Tuning before I feed it into the sender, as these senders only take a Composite/RCA input.

All I can find for analogue tuners are things like this . There of loads of variants of that kind of thing on ebay but they all upscale and output via VGA (the composite/RCA jacks are for input, not output). No good for me :/

Does anyone know of an analogue tuner I can buy in 2016? Or a wireless TV sender that accepts a VGA input? Or some other solution I could look at? I want to keep this low budget of course :)

I mean, I guess I could buy an old VCR to do the tuning, but I'm not sure I could handle having that visible in my living room in 2016
biggrin.png
Any better options?

Thanks!

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
What you are looking for is an UHF demodulator - and as you say they are hard to track down these days. However I set one up in my local pub last year after a lot of searching around - I was also thinking about using a VCR if all else failed.
This is what I used, just make sure it works with the correct frequencies for Sweden if you get one - UNI-LINK UHF DEMODULATOR 370420 By TRIAX: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Mark.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thanks Mark! That helps narrow down the Google terms :) I've found a few after a look on some Swedish suppliers, but none that seem to have remotes. I know this is Luddite technology, but I'm not sure I can bring myself to get up and click a button every time I want to change channels :D

Did the one you bought have a remote control?

Did the one you bought have a remote control?
No, it isn't designed as a channel changer. The one I installed takes the RF output from a Sky box and displays whatever channel the Sky box is set to. So there is no requirement to be able to change channels.

Mark.

Okay, thanks! Perhaps I'll just settle for a vcr; at least that comes with a remote so I can change channels.

Now... Buying a vcr in 2016... :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom