Looking for an amp under £400

gibbsy

A quick Google says they have the same DAC, so either way of connecting them should sound the same?
Use the player's DAC and connect using the analogue cables. Shortest path is always the best. It's the same DAC that is in my sa8005 and that does a very good job and that player was connected via analogue to my amp.

WozzaB

Distinguished Member
Use the player's DAC and connect using the analogue cables. Shortest path is always the best. It's the same DAC that is in my sa8005 and that does a very good job and that player was connected via analogue to my amp.
I've got a decent rca/analogue cable, so I'll just use that, cheers.
Another quick question, can I control both devices with one remote? I can see they have a remote in/out conecction on the back, is this needed or will they both accept the signal from the remote?

gibbsy

I've got a decent rca/analogue cable, so I'll just use that, cheers.
Another quick question, can I control both devices with one remote? I can see they have a remote in/out conecction on the back, is this needed or will they both accept the signal from the remote?
Yes. You should find that the amp's remote will have fast forward, play, etc on it. The CD tray has to be opened manually from a push button on the front fascia of the player.

WozzaB

Distinguished Member
Yes. You should find that the amp's remote will have fast forward, play, etc on it. The CD tray has to be opened manually from a push button on the front fascia of the player.
That's what I was hoping, cheers. I don't think the CD6003 that I'm waiting to arrive has a remote with it, but for £60 I was OK with that!

gibbsy

That's what I was hoping, cheers. I don't think the CD6003 that I'm waiting to arrive has a remote with it, but for £60 I was OK with that!
It's all controllable from the front fascia. I very rarely used the remote on my sa8005 nor my current Denon player as I sit right by it when listening on headphones.

WozzaB

Distinguished Member
It's all controllable from the front fascia. I very rarely used the remote on my sa8005 nor my current Denon player as I sit right by it when listening on headphones.
I'm sitting about 10ft away, so the remote will be handy to skip tracks, or I could just get up and burn a few calories I guess!

gibbsy

I'm sitting about 10ft away, so the remote will be handy to skip tracks, or I could just get up and burn a few calories I guess!
You will be able to use that ability on the amp's remote.

WozzaB

Distinguished Member
CD player in place, just waiting for the amp.
I'm just going go swap speaker cables on the odd occasion I get to use the amp, I made up a set with some 16g cable and some banana plugs I had knocking about.

PXL_20220406_184805699~2.jpg

WozzaB

Distinguished Member
Amp arrived early this morning, connected everything and just need 5 mins to have a listen now😅

Gap above the amp is just over 20mm, hopefully that's enough as the stand is completely open all around.

PXL_20220407_094317478~2.jpg

WozzaB

Distinguished Member
Well first impressions are a bit meh to be honest, just played a few cd's, I'm quite familiar with John Williams Dual of the Fates, and it sounded nice at medium volume but as soon as I turned it up a bit the voices started sounding a little harsh.
I only have the Audiolab 6000a to compare it to, but it's not even close, even at high volumes the same track sounded beautiful. I wasn't expecting the Marantz to compete with Audiolab, but the gap seems pretty huge to me, I was thinking I'd lose a bit of detail possibly, but I wasn't expecting harshness.
Nothing else has changed since the 6000a, speakers the same and in the same location, no furniture or decor changes, MLP exactly the same etc, maybe I need to let it run for a bit, but it's not new so should that make a difference? or maybe the PM6005/Q3050i combo just doesn't work.

I'll run a few more discs through the kit and give it a full test though.

WozzaB

Distinguished Member
IMHO, I don’t think the 6005 is anywhere near the 6000a.
I would agree and wasn't expecting it to be, but I also wasn't expecting the 6005 to sound harsh when you turn it up a bit, it actually made me wince a few times! I've double checked all the connections to make sure it's not user error.
I'll give it another try later and see if I get the same harshness with every disc I play.

Onlythesound

Was it a 2014 release? It sounds to me from your description as if there may be an issue with it. Your speakers are quite efficient and assuming your room acoustics are not doing anything dramatically negative, it points to the amp.

WozzaB

Distinguished Member
Was it a 2014 release? It sounds to me from your description as if there may be an issue with it. Your speakers are quite efficient and assuming your room acoustics are not doing anything dramatically negative, it points to the amp.
It's the 1999 Greatest Hits version.
I was expecting a nice sound, but I don't think I've set my expectations too high, it just doesn't sounds very good at all when it's turned up a bit, I'll need to check the level, but I'm pretty sure it was well under 12 o'clock on the volume dial.
These are both used units, so I guess I could use a coax cable instead of the analogue to rule out an issue with the DAC in the CD player, just trying to exhaust all possibilities before I conclude that the amp is not very good with my speakers.

Edit: I think you meant was the amp a 2014 model and not the John Williams cd! 😅

Last edited:

Onlythesound

It's the 1999 Greatest Hits version.
I was expecting a nice sound, but I don't think I've set my expectations too high, it just doesn't sounds very good at all when it's turned up a bit, I'll need to check the level, but I'm pretty sure it was well under 12 o'clock on the volume dial.
These are both used units, so I guess I could use a coax cable instead of the analogue to rule out an issue with the DAC in the CD player, just trying to exhaust all possibilities before I conclude that the amp is not very good with my speakers.

Edit: I think you meant was the amp a 2014 model and not the John Williams cd! 😅
Yes, the amp! Those 3050is are fairly easy to drive, the MA silver 200 slightly less so but maybe the amp is straining/clipping a little as you crank it up. It’s no brute after all🤨

WozzaB

Distinguished Member
I've done some more listening and it's sounding much nicer at average volumes, I actually think the harsh sound I'm hearing at higher volumes might actually be my ears, or my left ear to be more specific! I noticed the harsh sound was prominent in my left ear, so it seems my ear is more sensitive to certain fequencies at higher volume.
I might also be pushing the amp too much as you suggested, but the volume hasn't got above 11o'clock yet, so I'm not too sure about that.
But overall I'm liking the sound at reasonable levels, much nicer than the AVR, which is all I was after really.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom