Looking for an amp under £400

Helix Hifi

Then again I believe Yamaha AS801 has 100 watts in 8 ohms, then dynamic peaks.

So it depends on the power supply.

Also my amplifier has 200 watts in 4 ohm, but only maximum.

It says nothing about RMS, only in 4 ohm

WozzaB

Distinguished Member
Soooo what do I need to be looking for guys? 40w, 50w, 100w?
Or do I need to look at what the amp can do in peak bursts as well?

Helix Hifi

Cambridge AX81.

Helix Hifi

Then go for the Cyrus amplifier.

Helix Hifi

Sorry, it seems this is the wrong the tread. I believe Cyrus amplifier can be bought new for 400-500 pounds. You might raise the budget. If used Arcam A32.

WozzaB

Distinguished Member
Sorry, it seems this is the wrong the tread. I believe Cyrus amplifier can be bought new for 400-500 pounds. You might raise the budget. If used Arcam A32.
No problem, I wondered where the Cyrus suggestion came from.

I'm still undecided to be honest, I've seen a PM6006 UK Edition for £210, that's tempting and £200 feels less painful than £350 for something will sit there most if the time!

gava

Depending on what floats your boat ...

I would spend £400 by putting half to the Topping DX3 Pro+ (BT receiver, USB/Optical => DAC & Preamp) and half to a Behringer A800 power amp to drive pretty much any speaker you care to mention.

Compared to anything you could get from Richersounds for that money it's not even a fair comparison IMO.

password1

Distinguished Member
To be honest with such low use and on budget fairly efficient floorstanders, I wouldn't spend too much. Something like a £100-£150 Marantz pm 6003/6004/6005 or Arcam A65/75 or Cambridge Audio Azur 540/550/640/650/651 would be my choice.

An Arcam A85 is capable of driving Harbeths and wasted on 3050i's imo.

WozzaB

Distinguished Member
Cheers for the info. Also seen a PM5005 and and another PMA-520AE for about £115, I'm sure they would make a big improvement over the Denon AVR for music?

password1

Distinguished Member
I used to have a PM5005, vocals were a little thin, sounded adequate with Monitor Audio MR4 but not very good on QA Concept 40s..its a good budget amp for budget non fussy speakers.

WozzaB

Distinguished Member
The more I think about it the more it makes sense to get something around £100-150, I'll only play cd's through so I don't need anything with Bluetooth or a DAC I guess.
Just need to try and find out what the better amps for that price, I've seen a few CA, Marantz like you mentioned and a few Denons, I might as well do a bit more research incase there's a gem for that price😅

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
There are a couple of Rotel RA04 on facebook marketplace and one on ebay that are in budget. The RA03 is marginally better but keeps its price better. The RA1062 is a cracking amp if you bump into one within budget then snap it up.

If you are looking for a CD player there is a Pioneer Stable Platter PD-S904 (top of the range) on ebay for £130, you probably can't get a better CD for the price. Note that CD's go in label side down on this player, the lase shines downwards to reduced dust pickup amongst other things.

Or here is a matching RCD02 from Rotel at £75.

Another to add the the list.

Last edited:

WozzaB

Distinguished Member
There are a couple of Rotel RA04 on facebook marketplace and one on ebay that are in budget. The RA03 is marginally better but keeps its price better. The RA1062 is a cracking amp if you bump into one within budget then snap it up.

If you are looking for a CD player there is a Pioneer Stable Platter PD-S904 (top of the range) on ebay for £130, you probably can't get a better CD for the price. Note that CD's go in label side down on this player, the lase shines downwards to reduced dust pickup amongst other things.

Or here is a matching RCD02 from Rotel at £75.

Another to add the the list.
Thanks for the info, it's a bit of minefield looking for amps in this price range!
I'm not in a rush, so I'll keep an eye out for something decent.

WozzaB

Distinguished Member
CA A5 for £35 any good or am I trawling too low now? I do Google each amp I see, but some are thin on info or very old reviews😅

password1

Distinguished Member
CA A5 for £35 any good or am I trawling too low now? I do Google each amp I see, but some are thin on info or very old reviews😅
Only £119 when new.. that's the old model, there is also the improved A5i model. Both I wouldn't exactly call hi fi. I owned one for 1 day, took it back to Richersounds and bought the Cambridge Audio C500/ P500 combo (pre amp and power amp) for £59.95 each instead...then later bought then A500 to save space.

The A1 (all versions sounds sweeter than the A5)..there one in the classifieds.

WozzaB

Distinguished Member
Only £119 when new.. that's the old model, there is also the improved A5i model. Both I wouldn't exactly call hi fi. I owned one for 1 day, took it back to Richersounds and bought the Cambridge Audio C500/ P500 combo (pre amp and power amp) for £59.95 each instead...then later bought then A500 to save space.

The A1 (all versions sounds sweeter than the A5)..there one in the classifieds.
Cheers for that 👍 I'm now tempted to spend a touch more than £100-150 as I've seen a PM6006 for £200, seems to fit the bill?

password1

Distinguished Member
Marantz PM600x amps hold value well, great reputation but for similar money you can have an Arcam such as the ones mentioned above.

WozzaB

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the advice guys.
I was going around in circles with all the amps, so I ended up grabbing a PM6005 for £155, also got CD6003 on it's way for £60.

Ascotbilly

Bargains - post a pic when it’s set up !

WozzaB

Distinguished Member
Do I need a specific cable to connect the two? I was going to order this one.
Coax cable

Edit: link isn't working, but it's this cable.

Screenshot_20220405-094020.pngScreenshot_20220405-094052.png

Last edited:

password1

Distinguished Member
RCA/phono stereo cable if you intend to use the cd player's DAC or a digital cable if you intend to use the amp's DAC if it has one.

I don't think it will make much difference if the DACs are the same.

Post a pic of the back of the cd player and amp.

WozzaB

Distinguished Member
RCA/phono stereo cable if you intend to use the cd player's DAC or a digital cable if you intend to use the amp's DAC if it has one.

I don't think it will make much difference if the DACs are the same.

Post a pic of the back of the cd player and amp.
A quick Google says they have the same DAC, so either way of connecting them should sound the same?

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sony unveils Inzone gaming brand
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px7 S2 wireless headphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th June 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Netflix confirms ad-supported option is on the way