Answered Looking For An Amp To Pair With The Bowers & Wilkins 702 S2 Speakers?

JPace

Established Member
Reaction score
I currently have a aging sound system -

Cambridge Audio CXA60 +Kef Q7 Speakers.

The speakers were at the time a budget purchase and have lasted me 10 years!

Now as its time for an update, I have settled on getting the B&W 702 S2 Speakers as they fall into my top budget of £3,500 for the speakers.

However, I am not sure which Amp would be best to pair these with?

Now I mainly use my sound system for TV, Movies & Games. I do not listen to music on its own, of course its there within Movies and Games however.

Any help is appreciated!

Are you sticking to a stereo set-up? What is your budget?

I think I would stick to a stero setup unless a Home Cinema would be more beneficial? I'm literally confused at the sheer amount of choice and options >.<

Budget:

Speakers £4,000
Amp £3,000

I would prefer to spend a combined £5-£6K however if possible as those two figures are my absolute top ends.

Hmm, lots of options indeed, and a healthy budget.

Whether you stick to stereo or expand to surround sound is entirely up to you. Do you want to have discrete speakers around the room and maybe in or pointed at the ceiling to have a fully immersive audio experience for movies and TV?

Or, do you want to stick with a stereo set-up, which can sound very very good, with good stereo imaging that can produce great audio, but will not be as immersive as if you have speakers all around the room.

For a stereo set-up, with your budget and choice of speakers, an obvious choice would be the Arcam SR250 stereo receiver.

Arcam SR250 2 Channel AV Receiver

Hmm, lots of options indeed, and a healthy budget.

Whether you stick to stereo or expand to surround sound is entirely up to you. Do you want to have discrete speakers around the room and maybe in or pointed at the ceiling to have a fully immersive audio experience for movies and TV?

Or, do you want to stick with a stereo set-up, which can sound very very good, with good stereo imaging that can produce great audio, but will not be as immersive as if you have speakers all around the room.

For a stereo set-up, with your budget and choice of speakers, an obvious choice would be the Arcam SR250 stereo receiver.

Arcam SR250 2 Channel AV Receiver

Yes! I have read so many reviews and considered so many options that I have been immensely confused!! :S

I think the simplicity of the stereo option - amp + two speakers is very much appealing.

My room isn't "square" so trying to put speakers up and around would be too cumbersome in this respects as the back wall has an area that juts out.

OK, thank you for the recommendation - in regards to speaker wire - what would you recommend?

I think I have purchased a cable that was from richer sounds that was £10 per Meter? - It was the best they offered but I imagine I would need a higher performance for that.

I have a pair of 703s2’s and a naim xs-2 amp and I love the sound. I do run a Rel t9 using the high level inputs but then I also listen to a lot of music that has a heavy bass line.

I thought the amp would be a bit low on power rated at 70w but I don’t turn it up past 10 o’clock.

I will say the naim stuff seems a little quirky but then it’s my first decent spec Hifi.

My local dealer has been a great help lending me the kit to listen to at home.

OK, thank you for the recommendation - in regards to speaker wire - what would you recommend?

I think I have purchased a cable that was from richer sounds that was £10 per Meter? - It was the best they offered but I imagine I would need a higher performance for that.
Lots of 'snake oil' around in the realms of speaker cable.

The thickness of wire that you need, depends on the distance, and the speakers, there is a chart here:

Speaker Cables – What You Need To Know

However, despite that, I use 2.5mm thickness even on short runs, as the cost difference between that and thinner wire is minimal, and it just means that I have all of the same throughout the house.

I like Van Damme. There is Van Damme Blue that is really designed for studio's, but is very popular on the forums for home use. £3.19 per metre here:

Van Damme Blue Series Speaker Cable. Studio Grade 2 x 2.5mm PRO PA - PER MT | eBay

They also do a hifi cable, which is well reviewed. I have just got a roll of it myself, as I am having a change round and need longer lengths, my Van Damme Blue is too short. I thought I'd try this instead, as it will be easier to hide against a wooden floor and speaker stands. £2.80 per metre here:

Van Damme HIFI Series Studio Grade Loudspeaker Cable 2 X 2.5mm 268-502-000 1-150 | eBay

Then, if you want banana plugs, these are very good and easy to fit:

Fisual Easy Fix 4mm Banana Plugs - 10 Pack 24K Gold 5060182335661 | eBay

I have used a1-sound.co.uk in the past, who will make up custom lengths of cable, and do a more professional finish of adding the termination of your choice, using solder and shrink wrap. A little more expensive than DIY.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I have a pair of 703s2’s and a naim xs-2 amp and I love the sound. I do run a Rel t9 using the high level inputs but then I also listen to a lot of music that has a heavy bass line.

I thought the amp would be a bit low on power rated at 70w but I don’t turn it up past 10 o’clock.

I will say the naim stuff seems a little quirky but then it’s my first decent spec Hifi.

My local dealer has been a great help lending me the kit to listen to at home.

Ok, thank you for your advice :)

Lots of 'snake oil' around in the realms of speaker cable.

The thickness of wire that you need, depends on the distance, and the speakers, there is a chart here:

Speaker Cables – What You Need To Know

However, despite that, I use 2.5mm thickness even on short runs, as the cost difference between that and thinner wire is minimal, and it just means that I have all of the same throughout the house.

I like Van Damme. There is Van Damme Blue that is really designed for studio's, but is very popular on the forums for home use. £3.19 per metre here:

Van Damme Blue Series Speaker Cable. Studio Grade 2 x 2.5mm PRO PA - PER MT | eBay

They also do a hifi cable, which is well reviewed. I have just got a roll of it myself, as I am having a change round and need longer lengths, my Van Damme Blue is too short. I thought I'd try this instead, as it will be easier to hide against a wooden floor and speaker stands. £2.80 per metre here:

Van Damme HIFI Series Studio Grade Loudspeaker Cable 2 X 2.5mm 268-502-000 1-150 | eBay

Then, if you want banana plugs, these are very good and easy to fit:

Fisual Easy Fix 4mm Banana Plugs - 10 Pack 24K Gold 5060182335661 | eBay

I have used a1-sound.co.uk in the past, who will make up custom lengths of cable, and do a more professional finish of adding the termination of your choice, using solder and shrink wrap. A little more expensive than DIY.

Thank you for that, very insightful and helpful!

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Now I mainly use my sound system for TV, Movies & Games. I do not listen to music on its own, of course its there within Movies and Games however.

Any help is appreciated!

are you sure stereo is enough as full surround and even Atmos is going to be a big upgrade over just stereo sound for gaming and movies especially as music isn’t your priority?

are you sure stereo is enough as full surround and even Atmos is going to be a big upgrade over just stereo sound for gaming and movies especially as music isn’t your priority?

I’m willing to consider it,

What would be the best options for my budget range when it comes to Surround / Atmos?

I think you should decide on an amp first and then find out which speakers go well with it's signature. There are plenty of good amps in the £1500-2500 area but I'll only mention those that I have experience with and that is the Rega Elicit R. I've lived with it now for just over two months and it's impressive in every department.

My initial audition involved Naim Nait 5si and the XS2 although the initial playing of the Naims did not grab me in the way the Rega did. Just loved the way the Rega controlled the KEF R300s that they were hooked up to. I would love to run the Rega with R900s and with 105 watts into 8 ohm I feel it would be a good match. This combination would fit into your budget at around £4300. Although my budget could have stretched to that combination sadly my room could not.

The Rega had more attack that the Naims and brought better control to the bass on the R300s. The Naims seemed a little too laid back for my tastes even though they were very musical with great timing. Maybe I should have given the XS2 more of a listen but the Rega just put a massive smile on my face even at the first listen. Maybe, with a different make of speaker connected the Naims may have won out. That's what makes it so much fun, but I was already tied into the R300s.

As for speaker wire then try, as I always do, to blag the best you can get out of the dealer. I came away with Chord Clearway interconnects and Clearway speaker cable which they terminated for me. Clearway speaker cable usually sells for around £10 per metre unterminated.

IMO, I think you really need to decide if you want to stay in stereo or go multi channel. With your budget, you can have a very good surround system.

For your use, I'd personally go surround.

Have you got a Picture, sketch with the lay out of your room?

IMO, I think you really need to decide if you want to stay in stereo or go multi channel. With your budget, you can have a very good surround system.

For your use, I'd personally go surround.

Have you got a Picture, sketch with the lay out of your room?

Hm, my last post disappeared with my room sketch?

Here it is again

See, I have a wall on the right hand side that juts out into the room creating an uneven and awkward space there. So any potential speaker would have to be directly above & behind the sofa OR in the corner by the door and wall - see red circles:

The rest of the room is square / rectangular - that is the only thing that has held me back from a full on Atmos setup - but that was something that I wanted.

I think you should decide on an amp first and then find out which speakers go well with it's signature. There are plenty of good amps in the £1500-2500 area but I'll only mention those that I have experience with and that is the Rega Elicit R. I've lived with it now for just over two months and it's impressive in every department.

My initial audition involved Naim Nait 5si and the XS2 although the initial playing of the Naims did not grab me in the way the Rega did. Just loved the way the Rega controlled the KEF R300s that they were hooked up to. I would love to run the Rega with R900s and with 105 watts into 8 ohm I feel it would be a good match. This combination would fit into your budget at around £4300. Although my budget could have stretched to that combination sadly my room could not.

The Rega had more attack that the Naims and brought better control to the bass on the R300s. The Naims seemed a little too laid back for my tastes even though they were very musical with great timing. Maybe I should have given the XS2 more of a listen but the Rega just put a massive smile on my face even at the first listen. Maybe, with a different make of speaker connected the Naims may have won out. That's what makes it so much fun, but I was already tied into the R300s.

As for speaker wire then try, as I always do, to blag the best you can get out of the dealer. I came away with Chord Clearway interconnects and Clearway speaker cable which they terminated for me. Clearway speaker cable usually sells for around £10 per metre unterminated.

Thank you for that, something to think about as well!!

It's not ideal but imo it's workable. Is the sofa up against the rear wall?

what about the side wall, is there space between the sofa and that wall and if so how much?

My surrounds are very near my sofa and not in an "ideal" location but it is still much better than 2 channel stereo when playing games and watching movies.

I would just struggle to spend that kinda money on a 2 channel system when it's going to be used in for tv and movies. I just don'e think you would yield the benefits.

I have a great 2.0 system that i do watch tv on and it just does not compare to my dedicated avr and 5.1.2 surround layout

This is just a draft mock up of an arcam/bw set up that you would likely be able to get a nice discount if purchased as a bundle.

Have you listened to the B&W's or just read reviews? I'd highly recommend going to have a listen before you spend that kind of money.

I have added the m1's as they are fairly small and can be wall mounted or placed on very thin stands.

Arcam FMJ AVR550 AV Receiver
£2699

Bowers & Wilkins HTM71 S2 Centre Speaker
£899

Bowers & Wilkins 702 S2 Floorstanding Speakers
£3299

Bowers & Wilkins M-1 Satellite Speaker (Single) x2 (can add another 2 for height channels too)
£300

Last edited:
Not the greatest room, going by the sketch, for surround sound but not impossible. The only real problem seems to be the sofa's position, if you have room either side and bring it slightly forward then good smallish standmounts on good stands would give you the ability to experiment with position. Bring the fronts in line with the surrounds.

With Atmos in ceiling you would have to decide on the permanent position of the sofa. You could overcome this by employing front upfiring modules providing your ceiling suits. I have an L shaped lounge which means my surrounds have to be wall mounted at least you still retain the ability to move the surrounds about and perhaps even setting upfirers on top of them giving 5.1.4. It's certainly what I would try given your room shape.

I'm employing a 5.1.2 system for both music and film with the assistance of a Rega stereo amp for great music presentation as I would not want to be without that quality but still have the brilliant immersive sound for films.

Now this might blow the budget and is really my personal choice would be a Denon X6400 with a Rega Elicit R. Fronts KEF R700, R600C. Surrounds KEF R100. Atmos R50 x 4.

I am with @gibbsy regarding speaker choice, hence i said have auditioned the B&w's?

I was thinking about a separate integrated amplifier but as you do not listen to music, I did not see the justification and personally would go with a power-amp if you felt extra headroom was needed

One thing regarding the Arcam avr and mainly why i recommended it was due to it's dirac live room correction, which may help with your less than perfect room layout

It's not ideal but imo it's workable. Is the sofa up against the rear wall?

what about the side wall, is there space between the sofa and that wall and if so how much?

My surrounds are very near my sofa and not in an "ideal" location but it is still much better than 2 channel stereo when playing games and watching movies.

I would just struggle to spend that kinda money on a 2 channel system when it's going to be used in for tv and movies. I just don'e think you would yield the benefits.

I have a great 2.0 system that i do watch tv on and it just does not compare to my dedicated avr and 5.1.2 surround layout

Yes, the sofa is pushed back right up against the rear wall.

Yes, there is space between the sofa and the wall, probably about 40cm.

Ok, seems like I need to explore getting a 5.1.2 or 5.1.4 system!

This is just a draft mock up of an arcam/bw set up that you would likely be able to get a nice discount if purchased as a bundle.

Have you listened to the B&W's or just read reviews? I'd highly recommend going to have a listen before you spend that kind of money.

I have added the m1's as they are fairly small and can be wall mounted or placed on very thin stands.

Arcam FMJ AVR550 AV Receiver
£2699

Bowers & Wilkins HTM71 S2 Centre Speaker
£899

Bowers & Wilkins 702 S2 Floorstanding Speakers
£3299

Bowers & Wilkins M-1 Satellite Speaker (Single) x2 (can add another 2 for height channels too)
£300

Thank you for this, could you possibly do a sketch as to where you would place the speakers, as well as the height speakers? - would they go directly above in the middle of the room?

Not the greatest room, going by the sketch, for surround sound but not impossible. The only real problem seems to be the sofa's position, if you have room either side and bring it slightly forward then good smallish standmounts on good stands would give you the ability to experiment with position. Bring the fronts in line with the surrounds.

With Atmos in ceiling you would have to decide on the permanent position of the sofa. You could overcome this by employing front upfiring modules providing your ceiling suits. I have an L shaped lounge which means my surrounds have to be wall mounted at least you still retain the ability to move the surrounds about and perhaps even setting upfirers on top of them giving 5.1.4. It's certainly what I would try given your room shape.

I'm employing a 5.1.2 system for both music and film with the assistance of a Rega stereo amp for great music presentation as I would not want to be without that quality but still have the brilliant immersive sound for films.

Now this might blow the budget and is really my personal choice would be a Denon X6400 with a Rega Elicit R. Fronts KEF R700, R600C. Surrounds KEF R100. Atmos R50 x 4.

Thats what has put me off so far! Its the room shape and size. Unfortunately, I wont be moving house for another 2-3 years yet!

It could definitely come forward a little - but not too much as the TV would then look too imposing.

Ok, again, thank you for that, I think I just need to visualise this as its completely new to me as to where speakers would go and what not!

I am with @gibbsy regarding speaker choice, hence i said have auditioned the B&w's?

I was thinking about a separate integrated amplifier but as you do not listen to music, I did not see the justification and personally would go with a power-amp if you felt extra headroom was needed

One thing regarding the Arcam avr and mainly why i recommended it was due to it's dirac live room correction, which may help with your less than perfect room layout

Yes, I will definitely take your advice and listen to the 702's. I have not had a chance yet.

It is only what I have read so far that they are very good speakers - I'm not dead set on them now however - As stated, I will never really sit down and listen to music, it will only ever be movies and games with the occasional TV.

Unfortunately, I wont be moving house for another 2-3 years yet!
That is more interesting that the actual shape of the room as this can be overcome. It makes a difference to Atmos. In view of that statement do you really want to drill holes in the ceiling? Brings modules more into the frame.

With external amps how important is music? If will effect the choice of integrated stereo amp or a cheaper power amp. Perhaps the more personal choice is indeed speakers, both in how they sound to you as an individual and how well they will suit any room.

It's a minefield out there. Enjoy the ride.:)

I have just used your sketch

with your current lay out I would go with something like this.

Green circles (5.1.4) = atmos upfiring speakers that sit on top of the speakers (what @gibbsy recommended)

Yellow circles (5.1.2) = in ceiling speakers which means cutting into your ceiling and mounting.

You would ideally have all speakers laid out symmetrical rather then the fronts further apart that the rears, along with the atmos speakers.

your tv unit should be aligned with your sofa so your dead on with centre speaker

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom