Looking for an all-in-one system, advice please!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Sacred, Dec 24, 2006.

1. Sacred

Sacred
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey all, I'm looking at gettting an all in one system for my flat. I've currently got a HD Samsung 26" (sorry can't remember the exact modle number, can get if required) and an MBP, I've been using a Soundstation 4.1 system for years now (use to use it with my Playstation) anyway I'm wanting to purchase a new all in one system that I can use as an output for both my TV/xBox 360/Nintendo Wii/MBP. Most important of them being the TV and MBP. I've got approx £200-300 (currently a student so can't really afford any more).
    What would you guys suggest?

(I like to play rock music, and I like the other 1000 students in the same flats to know I'm playing it, so loud (but still good quality sound) is good :devil: ) It must also be better than a 5.1 JVC system my brother purchased in 2002 (can get serial number if needed)

Thanks,
    Sacred :suicide:

2. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,365
  3. nry

nry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    The Yamaha AV59 seems to get amazing comments for the price, that Empire link is the cheapest I have ever seen it aswell, seems a bargain at £199.99!

4. Sacred

Sacred
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the link, not too bothered about having to have a new DVD player (didn't realise you could get them with a central control unit that didn't include a DVD).
    How does the Yamaha system compare to something like this, not too good on extensions but being able to connect my laptop to the system is a must (my musics all stored on my macbook pro (17" modle USB x3, Firewire 400/800, full list of extensions is listed on the apple website)
    Perhaps I'm asking for the wrong kind of system? Music is a priority and TV a second to me, so if an all-in-one isn't my best option any other advice would be great.

5. nry

nry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Music is not generally suited to surround sound though, it often sounds wierd, as it is generally recorded in 'simple' stereo.

Irrespective, you should be able to get a lead that converts the audio jack from the MacBook into co-ax that should then plug straight into the amp/cinema system. If you have optical-out on the MacBook then this should also go straight into the amp without issues if I understand things correctly.

6. Sacred

Sacred
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The only sound output I think on my macbook is for headphones, I take it this is suitable? Although they recommend using something like this to connect to a home cinema system (not a clue where it would plug in) :lease:
    (Do I feel a bit like a retard, yes, yes I do haha :suicide: :rotfl: :thumbsup: but thank god for the internet, prevents me making an arse of myself in a shop :D )

7. nry

nry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Often, on newer laptops (and I guess MacBooks!) the headphone socket also outputs an optical signal, I know mine does.

That connection simply takes this optical signal from the output as opposed to e.g. normal headphones which simply take the electrical signal. it would then plug into the optical input of the amplifier.

I am guessing the optical is turned on by default, otherwise it may be a BIOS option (though again, I don't know if a Mac has a BIOS in the same way a Windows laptop does).

8. Sacred

Sacred
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So what would be the different with the above phillips and yamaha systems? I know the phillips is 1000w and the yamaha is only 500w what difference does this make (apart from meaning the philips speakers are more powerful) And between the two which would you recommend?

Thanks,
    Sacred :suicide:

9. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,365
    The Panasonic may state 1000w but I will tell you now the Yamaha will make more noise. Without going into detail if you check out the systems right through you will see that the Yamaha has a far bigger power supply and therefore capable of delivering a far greater power output sustained than the Panasonic will ever do. I would be suprised if the Panasonic had a bigger supply than 150watt, now spread that over 5 channels and you get the REAL output. The Yamaha has a 240watt supply to spread over its 5 channels and 50 watt independant for the Sub. What the Panasonic will do is create a peak power, measured in micro seconds of 1000w. Go up the league a bit and take my Cambridge audio 540 which gives 100w/channel over 5 channels, but has a 650watt power supply and you can guess which one will give the results.

10. elwhy

elwhy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,365