looking for advice

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by mechanic, Jan 17, 2008.

Tags:
  1. mechanic

mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Can anyone help? I am looking to buy a 32" lcd 1080p with built in freeview and at least 2 scart sockets.I cannot seem to find a set that screen size that is 1080p.Also the contrast ratio seems to vary considerably between makes/models.I assume the higher the figure the better? Can anyone suggest a likely candidate for purchase? Price not too much a problem as more picture quality required.

2. Boogle

Boogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Only the Sharp LC32X20E offers 1080p in a 32" package. Its designed to be looked at from a very close distance since 1080p from a normal viewing distance wouldn't really offer any advantages.

3. vipergrm

vipergrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +591
    I agree with Boogle. 1080p on a 32" is a total waste. You will not notice any distance unless you are a couple of cm from the screen. Seriously, it is a waste of time. It's a sales gotcha. People think that they must have a 1080p set but the truth is, you don't need one. Why do you think they are so hard to find? Even 40" is still neglidgable. Get a good 720p set and don't waste your money. It's the video processing that is key. There are 720p 32" sets that offer far better picture quality. Anyone with decent knowledge on this forum will tell you the same thing.

With regards to contrast, yes, the higher the better but, BUT; do not listen to manufacturers contrast ratio claims as some of them are ridiculous. They use unrealistic methods to get these bogus figures. Read reviews and ask other users about black levels. Most manufacturers quote the 'dynmaic' contrast ratio. I've never really understood this because it is completely and absolutely pointless. Sony and Samsung are amongst the best black levels available and I believe the Sharp LCDs are quite good too.

Tell us your budget and I bet we could recommend a much better non 1080 32" set

;)

4. mechanic

mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Thanks for the replies guys and the information.I was looking to spend about £750 -£850. Any makes/models would be a great help.

5. vipergrm

vipergrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +591
    For me, the best quality 32" set available is this

http://www.electricalexperience.co.uk/product.php/3184/0

And it's only £649. I saw this in Curry' s and I couldn't believe it. There is absolutely ZERO motion blur and of course, the ambilight is fantastic. It's also got a 14 bit panel (supporting 4 trillion colours) and 24p support.

This is absolutely fantastic for £649 and it is certainly the best 32" set I have ever seen. Check out reviews and make up your own mind of course. :smashin:

6. mechanic

mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Thanks vipergrm will have a look