Looking for advice

Thecochranes

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have built an extension and have decided to install my first ever speaker system.
I haven brought anything yet but will go 5.1.2 route.
I want to put cabling in now before I plasterboard.
Questions.
- what cables do i need to run the following. TV, PS4, AV receiver?
- can you recommend a reasonably priced speaker cable? Think i need around 30 meters in total.

Thanks.

Cabling:

Network - CAT6 or CAT5
Loudspeaker - 2x2.5mm
Subwoofer - RCA to RCA (+ you will require a 13-Amp socket close by).

The Loudspeaker and Sub cables run back to the AVR - additional cables such as HDMI, Optical etc will depend on where your Display device (s) will be going and where the Source devices will be placed relative to the AVR.

Network cable will potentially go to multiple locations depending on the system layout.

A marked up floor plan would be handy.

Joe

20180225_195704.jpg

Room is 4m wide (left to right) and 4.4m deep. The TV will be on the far wall where the cables are through. Planning on having AV receiver, games console and sub in the far right hand corner. Speakers (not brought yet or even no what ones!) Will be wall mounted - either side of TV and centre below TV with rears again wall mounted.

Speaker layout - in a 5.1 system you have side surrounds rather than Rear Speakers, 5.1 Speaker Setup Guide

TV - ideally you want a Network cable (CAT5 or CAT6) plus HDMI with a spare and or the ability to easily replace any cable which fails, is damaged or becomes obsolete.

Sub - corner positioning will usually boost the LF Output, which may or may not be a good thing.

Joe

Joe.

Thanks. I have cat 6 going to the TV.

So wilk need speaker cable from proposed AV unit to all speakers. HDMI from TV to games console and optical cable from TV to AV unit?

Good advice on HDMI cable, i will make a way of being able to replace easily.

Any suggestions on a reasonably priced speaker cable? Any issues running cable next to/near other circutry?

TV Audio (to AVR) - two options: HDMI ARC and Optical. If your TV and AVR are both ARC enabled you may not require the Optical cable but better to have it in place as ARC is not always reliable.

Source devices - will connect to the AVR and then the AVR will connect via HDMI to the TV.

HDMI AVR to TV - if you plan to carry 4K UHD signals and the cable length is over 6m you may want to consider a Hybrid Fibre cable.

CAT6 - add a spare, always give you an option for HDMI if required (using a suitable Extender).

Speaker and Sub cable - we use and supply the VanDamme range.

Mains cables - ideally you keep any High (mains) and Low (Speaker etc) voltage cables separated by approx. 300mm and where they cross they do so at right angles and never both down the same conduit.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom