• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Looking for advice with building surround sound set up

Hocking88

Established Member
Hey everyone, I hope this is the right place to post this. In the next couple of months I am looking to get a surround sound system in place. I have a 4 K HDR TV and a 4K blu ray so want to now upgrade the sound for as good a home cinema experience as possible.

My dilemma is the lack of space I have, my living room is not the biggest. I have attached some photos of different angles (excuse the mess)

So what would give me best overall experience for quite a compact room, a sound bar? I have looked at the Samsung Dolby atmos one as I can then have two speakers, one either side of the door and the window.
Or is there anyway you think I can get a standard speaker set up with
IMG_0005.jpg
IMG_0003.jpg
IMG_0004.jpg
a receiver. Or is it just too short of space?

Really appreciate any advice

Hocking88

Established Member
We do use the fireplace in the winter yeah. Putting above fireplace not really an option due to viewing distance and angle.

Harkon321

Prominent Member
I'd go sound bar personally. Your are limited by both space and layout.

peter-d-w

Established Member
Wall mounting the TV in the corner where it is now would give you more options. You would make space for a receiver and speakers that way. You might need to get a taller A/V unit and/or wall mount your speakers too.

Hocking88

Established Member
Wall mounting the TV in the corner where it is now would give you more options. You would make space for a receiver and speakers that way. You might need to get a taller A/V unit and/or wall mount your speakers too.

I have never thought about mounting in the corner, always thought really you would need to do it on a flat wall.
Do you reckon I would be able to do this fairly easily? Also judging from the photos do you think I will be able to fit decent speakers besides the tv?

peter-d-w

Established Member
I have never thought about mounting in the corner, always thought really you would need to do it on a flat wall.
Do you reckon I would be able to do this fairly easily? Also judging from the photos do you think I will be able to fit decent speakers besides the tv?
It's not so difficult. Use a bracket like this one (Make sure your TV is compatible with whichever bracket you order before ordering) TV Wall Bracket For 17 - 55 Inch LED/LCD: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
You need a good fixing to the wall. If its a stud wall then you need to screw into one of the wooden uprights, if its a block wall you need to buy suitable fixings for the blocks. If you're not sure then find some local advice, your neighbours might be a good source. Once you've made space below the TV you can place Left Centre & Right speakers there. Rear speakers left of the door and right of the armchair, Subwoofer beside the sofa or beside the armchair. You have more space than you think for good speakers. Results would be much better than from a soundbar. There's plenty of choice out there e.g. DENON SYS2020Black 5.1 Speaker Package
Obviously you will need a receiver too.
I hope that helps.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom