Looking for advice on which wireless speakers to buy for Marantz M-CR603

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by gcpc1, Aug 17, 2013.

1. gcpc1

gcpc1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Folks,

This is my first post. I signed up to this forum as looking for some advice and hope you can help me.

I'm a techno novice so please go easy with me. I've looked through other threads and don't think my request has been mentioned elsewhere.

I have a Marantz M-CR603 system which I upgraded (approx. 18 months ago) to the Apple Airplay. To be honest, I got the upgrade as it was free but have no idea what it means in practice.

I have an iPod Classic plugged to the system. The iPod is used only for playing music through the Marantz (i.e. the iPod is never detached from the system) and the Marantz is used only for playing music (through either the iPod and CDs) and listening to the radio. I want to keep the Marantz/speakers in the dining area (approx 13' x 13') or move the speakers into the living area (which is a continuation of the dining area and with approx. the same dimensions as dining area).

I'm looking to purchase 1 or more wireless speakers to replace the current, ancient 2 x Sony SS-CCP11 speakers. These speakers are fine but am looking for wireless ones to give me more flexibility.

My questions are:
    1. What speaker/s would you recommend, for a budget of £100 (for 1 speaker) or £150 total (for 2 speakers)?
    2. Would I need any other items to allow for wireless music and, if so, what would they be/cost?
    3. I'm not looking for a big ass sound, just something that's reliable and does the job.

Other info:
    1. I live in a detached property, if that makes any difference
    2. My main objective is to have speaker/s that I can keep in one place 99% of the time but have the option to move, if required

Thanks in advance for your help :)

2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,166
    Do as you wish, but in all honesty and in my opinion, wireless speakers are a mistake, and especially so at your limited budget. All the money that goes into transmitters and receivers, it money that doesn't go into the speaker.

If you spend £200/pr on wireless speakers, the speaker are the equivalent to speakers costing £50 each or less.

The best wireless speakers that I am aware of are about £1300/pr including the Transmitter/Receiver. (Dynaudio Xeo 3).

Plus, there is no such thing as wireless speakers, there are only less-wire speakers or different-wire. You lose the speaker wires, but each speaker box has to be plug into the electrical outlet to provide power to the internal Receiver and Power Amps.

If you insist, this is about the best you can do on a restricted budget -

Superfi - IN-STORE CLEARANCE (STOCKPORT) - JBL ON AIR CONTROL 2.4G WIRELESS SPEAKERS (PAIR)

This is a special clearance price, here are the same speaker at the standard selling price -

Superfi - JBL ON AIR CONTROL 2.4G WIRELESS SPEAKERS (PAIR)

The JBL Controls speaker are generally well regarded, but they have limited bass response, and as such are restricted to very casual listening.

Here are (presumably) the same speaker without the Transmitter/Receiver -

Superfi - JBL CONTROL 1 SPEAKERS (PAIR)

Here are Bluetooth speakers from Q Acoustic, though I don't know if they use Bluetooth, or if they are intended to connect to Bluetooth devices like Smart Phones.

Superfi - Q ACOUSTICS BT3 ACTIVE BLUETOOTH SPEAKERS

I'm guessing the source device must have Bluetooth transmission capability.

This is really not an area that gets much respect until you move up over £1000.

At least that's how I see it.

Steve/bluewizard