1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for advice on what to do next (Long story)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by BBD, Mar 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I currently have a Barco Data 800, a Sony VPH-G70 and a Sony VPH-722 sat in my converted garage, the Sony VPH-722 is currently installed on the ceiling.

I wanted to upgrade from the video only VPH-722 to a better projector but was trying to do it on a tight budget £750ish. I saw a Barco Data 800 up for sale on ebay for spares or repairs and bought it for £100 I believe the tubes are okay (blue is a bit worn) but it appears to have a power supply fault. I also spotted a Barco Data 800 going cheap on the Loot website with a failed red tube. The plan was to make a working projector out of the pair a have a stock of spares. In between buying the one off ebay and buying the one from Loot I found a Sony VPH-G70 up for sale for £250. I went to have a look at it. The machine looks in good clean condition with 9500 hours. The blue tube looked completely worn out (heavy burn). The green tube looked worn but serviceable and the red tube is completely unmarked (replaced?) I bought it planning for an immediate replacement of the blue tube followed by replacing the green tube when funds allowed. I ran it last night with a video signal and I now realise that the green tube is unusable the projector was obviously set up incorrectly, the worn part of the tube only covers 75% of the tube resulting in a very visible large green tinted border. I could run the projector over the same worn window area but this will presumably rapidly wear the blue and red tubes and I haven't got room to move the projector back to get the screen size I want. I've had a quick look at tube prices and found refurbished tubes can be bought for $750 + tax+ shipping.

My room is 4m long x 2.4m wide I was hoping to use a 16:9 screen more or less the full width of the room. What should I do, replace the tubes on the Sony or is it a bit OTT for this size of room? Should I get the Barco up and running and sell the Sony on? The complicate matters even more the Barco with the duff red tube is now sold! I think the Sony was worth the £250 I paid even with two duff tubes but its going to cost a fair bit to get it up and running. On the other hand if I sell it and run the Barco will I always hanker after the better performing Sony.

Hope this hasn’t left you as confused as I am. Any ideas comments..

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    If it were me I would keep the (potentially) best one - G70 -, sell the others and use the funds towards repairing the G70. I would not be happy selling the Sony on only to think what I could have had.

Alternatively, sell the lot, buy a new digital pj like the Sony VW12 and forget all the hassles :D

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Yeah, the G70 is the better machine, but there is far better support for the Barco.

Provided you can find a decent affordable place for support of the Sony I'd stick with that, otherwise I'd keep the Barco.

4. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Update:

Barco
    I think I've found the problem with the Barco some of the capacitors on the SMPSU have gone short circuit. Hopefully I can get it up a running once I've got hold of some replacements.

Sony
    I spent a bit of time setting it up (all be it in the wrong position) to give a idea of how bad the green tube is. I reckon I can live with it until funds permit its replacement.
    The blue is defintely shot. I've asked for quotes on new and refurbished but I'm being told that the VDV refurbished units are nothing like as good as original. Has anybody had any experience of this?

5. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    BBD sould like you are collecting projectors faster than you can use them.
    Fault on your Barco power supply sould common and just general old age. If it is the farm of cappacitors all together I would replace the lot paying particular attention to the temperature ratings. Don't be temped to over specify.
    Go over every single soulder joint on the back of that board as the transformers can shake every thing loose.

VDC tubes have improved greatly recently though they will never be quite the same as the original. It's all a matter of your expectations faults in tubes tend to show up far more on fixed images tan they do whilst watching a film.
    Price for refurbishment sounds about right.
    I currently have 6 sony g70 tubes away for rework and I'm fully expecting them to fully serviceable.

The wearing of your tubes sounds classic for a presentation machine which has probably been used mainly for windows based presentations. The comman background colour for powerpoint was blue which is why it is the first to go. It is also the most difficult light to see so it tends to be driven harder.
    Sounds like a bunch of cowboys put it in as usual.

The Barco will be the quiter machine and whilst the Sony will be much sharper if you are only feeding it with video it may be too sharp and not able to make the phosper glow sufficiently to get the full brightness. In which case the barco my still be brighter.

Want to trade the whole lot in against something smaller?

6. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for all the advice everyone. I've spent a long time just reading this forum and its nice to join in. I think Messiah has a point if I sell the Sony, will I regret it later. On the other hand its probably too big for the room and it is defintely noiser than the Barco. Yes the Barco is now up and running! I only changed the three duff capacitors before reading your post Roland but I have used 105degC Caps. The transformer is already held on with a lot of solder( I'm not the first to repair this board!). I also now know that its done 5000 hours.

Roland, which ever I keep I plan to use a HCPC or some form of line doubler/deinterlacer. I've already had a play with a PC connected to the Sony. If I've got it right the Component input on the Sony also means I can use an IscanPro without an additional output converter required by the Barco?

My next step is to install the Barco on a temporary basis (table top mounted), see what I think of it and in the mean time fully investigate the cost of repairing the Sony. Not sure if this a DIY job or not.

Roland I'm intrigued by your suggestion of trading it all in for something smaller what are you thinking of?

7. gerni g.

gerni g.
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi bbd,

the sony will look extremly good, fed with a htpc with 1440 x 864 resolution. razor sharp.
    but you need to build a hush box around.
    if you want to stick with your barco, maybe i can have your g70?
    in a couple of weeks i´m getting a new blue for a barco 800. i also have an immaculate red with less than 400 hours, that i put on ebay 2 days ago.

best wishes for your homecinema,

gerni

8. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi gerni g

We may have our wires crossed over replacement tubes the Barco ones appear to be in good/very good condition its the Sony that needs two new ones.
    I agree with your suggestion of a hush box, I followed a link from this forum to what I think was a NEC hush box and plan to do something along these lines. I can vent the box into the roof space of the garage

Anyway I decided to fork out for new tubes and keep the Sony because:
    1) Everyone seems to think that the Sony will give a much better picture once the two tubes are replaced and I have my htpc setup.
    2) I think the Sony is easier to set up and control than the Barco, nice easy to access menus with scope for lots of tweaking .
    3) After looking inside the Sony I was very impressed with the build quality. I know Barco have a lot of fans(supporters not cooling) but I've been surprised at the large amount of mods and rework on the boards. Prehaps this is because mine is an early version of this model. I used to work in an Instrumentation department and we used to avoid buying test equipment like this as a lot of late mods and changes usually suggested the product wasn't fully developed and consequently more likely to fail.
    This isn't to say that the Barco isn't a good machine but I think the Sony will (hopefully) last longer.

PS After playing with the Barco setup I now realise that the convergence board has also failed! I found two burnt out "Safety resistors" I'll change them tomorrow and hope it was the power supply failure that caused them to fail?

9. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I was going to suggest something like a Barco 708 but it sounds like you are going the Sony route any how.
    Happy to quote on repalcing those tubes by the way.

10. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Roland, I was going to contact you regards a quote. Prehaps you could send one via email. I can deliver and collect if it helps keep the cost down. I've contacted a few other places for supply only but I'm not sure about fitting them myself.
    Also prehaps you give send me some ball park figures for a trade of all three for a 708 so I can consider all options.
    The Barco convergence board is fixed so the Barco is up and running properly now!
    Can Roland or anyone else help with this:
    The main menu does not display the Service option only 'Guided', 'Installation' and 'Random Access'.
    I want to set the G2 levels. I've read Roland's previous posts on how to do this and if I remember rightly it should to be done whilst in the Service menu. I guess I'm missing something obvious?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.