Looking for advice on sky+ problems

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by suzyb, Mar 16, 2006.

1. suzyb

suzyb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My parents have been having problems with their sky+ installation. Often when they try to record programmes the recording fails and when they try to watch successful recordings the picture freezes and the box switches itself off and will not switch on again for several minutes.

When they phoned sky customer service a couple of months ago the box was reset and all recordings deleted. Everything worked fine for a day or so before it started playing up again and the problems have been getting progressively worse since.

Can anyone give me any advice on what the problem could be and possibly how to solve it or even what to suggest to sky customer service when they phone again? I believe my parents have to pay for tech support so they are looking to get this fixed asap and without a dozen engineer visits.

SuzyB

2. suzyb

suzyb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought the box was an Amstrad box for some reason but I checked this morning and it turns out its not. Here is what it says in system details.

Manufacturer: Pace
    Model: 4.005
    Version: 9F2106
    EPG: sky+ 4.00o

3. dennisowl

dennisowl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem with my Pace box and after several calls to Sky which yielded only temporary respite from the problems, I baulked at the £60 call out fee and bought a new 80Gb box for £130. A cop out I know but in view of the experiences of other Sky+ users documented on here I couldn't face the hassle.

On the plus side (no pun intended) I now have twice the storage capacity and no problems at all.

4. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    How long have your parents had the box for, Is it still under warranty? What do you mean they have to pay for tech. support, are you talking about the £60 callout charge Sky asks for.

5. suzyb

suzyb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They have had the box just over 2 years so its out of warranty and I was talking about the call out charge. When I got up today however I found out they took out insurance for the sky boxes. I assume that means no call out charge but will they still have to pay for a replacement box (if it comes to that).

6. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    The call out charge of £60 would have covered a replacement box anyway. There really is no need to take out further insurance on this equipment, it's a total ripoff and usually sold by unscrupulous companies falsely claiming to be working with Sky.

It could well be that the box is on it's way out or it may be a problem with the latest software as this has been known to cause problems. If I were your parents I'd persuade Sky to take a look at it and they could refuse to pay any callout charge, threatening to cancel if it's not sorted.

7. awink1

awink1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +315
    I had exactly the same problem on my old Sky+ box, it's the hard disk!!
    I bought a cheap 80Gb HD and replaced the old one (40Gb) did the system reset thingy and now it works again like a treat, but with the added plus of twice the storage size for recording.
    Only do this if the original warranty has expired as this would void any existing one. My box was 3 years old when I did it.

8. CFS

CFS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    We've had an 80gig box for about 6 months, and ours is continually failing. It's an Amstrad box rather than a Pace, and we're constantly getting a high number of failed recordings, as well as the whole box locking up occasionally. Any remedies?

9. peterpatch

peterpatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I know it may be a stupid question CFS, but have you contacted Sky about it? After 3 phone calls to them complaining about my Amstrad pvr3 not working properly for the month which I had it, It was replaced with a Pace box. I think its a refurbished model, But it has not let me down once since it was fitted. Give them a call and dig your heels in.