1. Join Now

    AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for advice on processor upgrade

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by BBD, Jul 8, 2003.

  1. BBD

    BBD
    Active Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2001
    Messages:
    430
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    Lutterworth
    Ratings:
    +3
    I recently bought a pair of Meridian M66's and a M66C. Until last week I was using this set-up with a HK AVR5000. I am currently saving up for a secondhand processor (Tag/Lexicon/Meridian) and decided to sell the HK now before it depreciated too much. I am currently using a HTPC to drive the M66's directly from a Revo soundcard. I now have the opportunity to buy a Rotel RSP976 processor for just under £400. Is this a good price and should I use the money from the HK sale to buy it as a short term solution or stick with the Revo until I can afford the Tag/Lexicon/Meridian processor?
     
  2. GreenEagle

    GreenEagle
    Standard Member

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2003
    Messages:
    136
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    Maidenhead
    Ratings:
    +1
    Wait until u can afford the Tag/Lexicon or Meridian
     
  3. NicolasB

    NicolasB
    Member

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2002
    Messages:
    5,881
    Products Owned:
    1
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    136
    Location:
    Emily's Shop
    Ratings:
    +566
    Depends: how long is it going to take you to save up £1500-£1800?
     
  4. BBD

    BBD
    Active Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2001
    Messages:
    430
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    Lutterworth
    Ratings:
    +3
    Good question I have a Sony G70 projector in need of two tubes (£1250) aswell. I guess what I'm actually asking is, is the Rotel a good buy price wise and good enough to live with for at least a couple of years? This would allow me to have the Sony retubed first. If its not a good price I can stick with what I've got until I saved up enough for the Tag/Lexicon or Meridian and retube the Sony at a later date. (Or should I just buy lots of lottery tickets!)
     
  5. NicolasB

    NicolasB
    Member

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2002
    Messages:
    5,881
    Products Owned:
    1
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    136
    Location:
    Emily's Shop
    Ratings:
    +566
    Yes.


    Only you can answer that one - by listening to it.
     
  6. GreenEagle

    GreenEagle
    Standard Member

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2003
    Messages:
    136
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    Maidenhead
    Ratings:
    +1
    BTW Nicolas have u received your Bryston Sp1.7 yet?
    When you get pleas write a review because am looking to upgrade my SP1 at the end of the year.

    cheers
     
  7. NicolasB

    NicolasB
    Member

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2002
    Messages:
    5,881
    Products Owned:
    1
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    136
    Location:
    Emily's Shop
    Ratings:
    +566
    No, I haven't! :(:mad::eek::rolleyes::nono::thumbsdow:suicide::(

    They emailed me yesterday and said another 7 to 10 days. Probably.

    If you do a search you'll find several previous postings by me on the subject of the SP1.7.
     
  8. Mr 928

    Mr 928
    Guest

    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Ratings:
    +0
    BBD,
    Save the money and buy a Lexicon - coupled with a pair of good quality amps (5 channel & a 2 channel) you can't go wrong. Plus with Lexicon you've got LOGIC 7 - It's pretty much all I use. 5.1 Logic 7 / DTS Logic 7 - awesome!! As long as you've got 7.1 speakers :D
     
  9. BBD

    BBD
    Active Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2001
    Messages:
    430
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    Lutterworth
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just to give an update. I managed to knock him down to £335 on the Rotel RSP976 and after extended listening of the M-Audio card I decided I just couldn't live with it for a year. It wasn't possible to demo the Rotel with my speakers but I thought at this price I'd take a chance. After a quick set-up and listening session I'm glad I bought it. A lot better than my HK AVR5000 and as long I can avoid listening to any Meridain/Lexicon/Tag kit until I can afford one I'll now be happy to wait.

    Thanks for the advice and comments.
     

Share This Page

Loading...