Looking for advice on new bike.

Surebrec

Prominent Member
Reaction score
During shielding, I have packed on a bit of extra weight, so I have decided to look into investing in a new bike for getting back into shape. As lockdown potentially eases, I'm planning on doing some early morning runs before the traffic builds up.

I used to like bike riding many moons ago, but as I got into my late teens, I lost interest in it to other things.

I've budgeted myself up to about £500ish (give or take a little) to invest in a decent bike. Where I live, there are quite a few hilly roads, as well as quite a few off-road trails through back fields and farm lanes, so I'm looking at buying a bike that can hold up to some off-road abuse should I choose to dabble.

Being a short arse (about 5'4/5'5), it seems to me like most mountain bikes are tailored to the taller cyclist, so I'm looking for something that'll accommodate my height.

Also, I'd appreciate any suggestions on reputable places to buy.

If there's any questions I've not thought to ask, let me know and I'll try to provide more.

Thanks in advance.

It sounds like a hybrid might be a good option for you providing the off road isnt too extreme. It tries to be good at both road and off road, and it does to an extent but if you find yourself on one a lot more than the other youll probably end up wishing you committed to either road or MTB.

I think decathlon do brilliant bikes for good prices so would start there unless youve got something specific in mind (a brand). Bang for buck second hand will probably always be your best option though. Shouldnt be too much issue with sizes, just a case of getting one that fits you. Most new bikes have a range of frame sizes, the ideal is to make sure you sit on and ride it for a bit before buying though.

Assuming youre fairly local, you might know of charnock richard cycles and their awesome jingle. Theyre pretty good service and would be worth a visit. I think theyre still open with bikes being essential? But guessing theyll have limited ability to browse and try. Edit just checked its click and collect only by the looks of it.

Budget for helmet and lights.

It sounds like a hybrid might be a good option for you providing the off road isnt too extreme. It tries to be good at both road and off road, and it does to an extent but if you find yourself on one a lot more than the other youll probably end up wishing you committed to either road or MTB.

I think decathlon do brilliant bikes for good prices so would start there unless youve got something specific in mind (a brand). Bang for buck second hand will probably always be your best option though. Shouldnt be too much issue with sizes, just a case of getting one that fits you. Most new bikes have a range of frame sizes, the ideal is to make sure you sit on and ride it for a bit before buying though.

Assuming youre fairly local, you might know of charnock richard cycles and their awesome jingle. Theyre pretty good service and would be worth a visit. I think theyre still open with bikes being essential? But guessing theyll have limited ability to browse and try. Edit just checked its click and collect only by the looks of it.

Budget for helmet and lights.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't even aware of Decathlon, so that's good to know. I'm not from Charnock Richard so I'm not familiar with them.

I finally got round to buying a bike and I've just finished assembling it.
It came with a bag of tools and two of these:

What's this.png

Anyone know what these are? I'm thinking they are spacers or something for setting/calibrating brake pads.

You have hydraulic brakes is my guess. If you remove a wheel put it in between the pads to stop them closing up. You'll save yourself hours of grief.

Only know this from bitter experience

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom