Question Looking for advice on buying first drone

NickC1979

Novice Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a little guidance on my first ever drone. I've got a fixed budget of up to about £250 - certainly no more. I've read review after review after review and I think I've come down to the following 2 drones:

Potensic D85 (like that I could upgrade the camera to a GoPro if I chose to later) at £240.
Upair One Plus 2.7k (would like the 4k but can't find it anywhere in the UK so don't know what the price would be) at £220.

I genuinely don't know which to choose and wonder if anyone has any thoughts. I like the replaceable camera element of the Potensic and from what i understand it's based on a very common Bug Pro 3 so is a tried and trusted design. From the few sample footage videos I've seen though the stability of the video isn't quite as good as the Upair which also has the advantage that you can control the camera pan remotely.

Anyone who could give any guidance beyond "spend more" would be helping me hugely.
This is a birthday present for myself at the end of the month so looking for something I can get my hands on by then as well which rules out Banggood probably. Both options I've listed above are on Amazon for delivery within the next week or so.

Thanks for any advice.

spend more , sorry I had to :rotfl: , being serious , what are you hoping to achieve , from what I have seen at your price point you are likely to be disappointed if new unless you go for something like the DJI Spark refurb , a bit older tech but still very capable , and likely to be way ahead in quality and usability than what you have been looking at , drop some more clues about what you want to do and I'll see what I can add :thumbsup:

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I have no high end requirements here. I simply want to have fun with it, capturing some family videos like the kids playing in the garden and following my son on his bike as he learns to ride. Some scenic type stuff but all at the home movie type level. I really just want to play and have fun more than anything else.

I've seen 3 DJI drones in CEX that seem good value but I don't know if they include just the drone of if the controller is included also.

The DJI MM1A Spark at £195.
The DJI Phantom Vision 2 Plus at £190.
The DJI Phantom 3 Standard at £230.

They also show the Phantom 3 Advanced at £250 but no stock. If there's no controller though they're out of my price range to buy one separately.

Thanks for the advice so far :)

I reckon you will be sound with the spark , not a bad idea buying from CEX as they give you a 2 year guarantee , obviously you would need to check that properly for any cop outs , its not the flymore kit so I expect it only has one battery and the max flight time is ~15 minutes so you would be looking at another battery , at your price that's the way I would go , I'll be interested to see what you do and how you get on :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Definitly the Spark over the others do you think? I've emailed CEX to ask if it includes controllers but if it doesn't I'll need to rethink.
Will keep you posted on what I choose to do.

You should get a minimum of drone , controller and battery / charger 👍

well I eventually ordered the DJI Spark Fly More from CeX which comes with a 2 year warranty so a bit of a bargain. Won't get to fly it till my birthday because the wife is strict like that! Thanks for the advice. Its hugely appreciated.

Just wanted to come back and say thanks for the advice. The Spark was 100% the way to go! I absolutely love it. Fantastic quality as an entry level drone for a bit of fun. Thank you so much.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom