Answered Looking for additional centre and rear speakers pairing

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by exc1t3, Apr 23, 2018.

1. exc1t3

exc1t3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi there,

I'm looking for some advice with regards to additional speakers: centre and rear surround.

I currently have Focal Chorus 714 V paired up with a Wharfedale Diamond SW150 Subwoofer, all connected to a Denon AVR-X2300W. I'm generally pretty happy with the sound this setup produces, but would like to add some surround sound.

The living room is 5m x 5m, I'm sitting around 3m from the TV and the rear speakers will be no further than 2m away from the sofa.

At first I was thinking of a Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 pair and a Wharfedale Diamond 11CC Centre or Monitor Audio Bronze Centre - would that work well?

Ideally I would like to spend no more than £200-300 for the additional speakers, but obviously, the less - the better :)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  2. Best Answer:
    Post #8 by Gasp3621, Apr 24, 2018 (1 points)
  3. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,690
    You should endeavour to keep the front three from the same manufacturer and model range to give the best timbre and tonal balance across the front sound stage. The centre for your Focals would be the Chorus CC 700, £349. That on it's own would bust your budget unless you could track one down on the second hand market. The rears again would benefit from being from the Chorus range although this is not so essential.

4. exc1t3

exc1t3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks gibbsy, unfortunately I think that will be over my budget at the moment. I did find used one on ebay, but the colour does not match. I would be able to stretch the budget slightly if necessary but not too much.

I guess my main requirement is for the speakers not to sound terribly bad when I put them together. Having all of them from one company would provide 100% satisfaction and experience but I'd be happy with the 90-95%

5. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +732
    Get the Chorus CC 700V! I`m sure you won`t be disappointed. Notice that over 60% of movies soundtrack comes from center channel, many times said to be one of the most important speaker in HT system. If you can place it optimally around seated ear height it would be great purchase and worth the money! The CC700V model uses large 6,5" mid-bass drivers plus nested tweeter = Improvement of off-axis response. You don`t see these often anymore.

Even if it would eat all your budget, running 3.1 would be nice step up and actually quite many sticks with it so you can save up for surrounds then and if you need to save somewhere, do it with the surrounds. Wharf 9.1 might work just fine and 99£/pair ain`t bad.

Which colour mains you got cause Ebay has 3 colours available of those CC700V. No match for your mains? 150-170£ two choices on "buy it now".
    focal-chorus-cc700 | eBay

6. exc1t3

exc1t3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hey gasp,

I'd be very tempted if it's below £200. I'm looking for a black one. The one listed on ebay has one but it's collection only. I've emailed the seller - hopefully they will be willing to post it.

7. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +732
    I pray it works out, i would gladly pay some extra for safe courier delivery which has some insurance (you can mention this aswell, might help)! The asking price of new ain`t that bad either considering some competitors. I believe the Focal center is better in many ways than those you mentioned in your first post. It surely has some advantages! And to get a matching center would be great! Also you got some high quality front speakers now (~700£ as new), so why go cheap with center channel first place. The idea might feel uncomfortable at first cost wise for a single speaker, but think about you are building some very nice system and if you compromise the most important part = the front stage as Gibbsy mentioned, then you might not be totally happy and always thinking "what if" and then at some point doing it the right way and losing money. Typical scenario with lot of people..

8. exc1t3

exc1t3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Fair point, thanks for the input Gasp. I've emailed the seller, mentioning that even with UPS insurance, the delivery will be no more than £15-16, still awaiting reply.

It's not the highest priority for me at the moment, as I am happy with the setup, so if that will not work out, I'll just wait a little bit and maybe something else will pop up, or at least I'll save some extra cash and buy a new one.

9. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +732
    Best Answer
    Great! I don`t think you will regret the choice and going from "anemic" 2.1 to 5.1 will be something you wish you would have done sooner!

There seems to be two blacks available, the other is thru bidding located in London;
    Focal Chorus V CC700V Centre Speaker - Used RRP £350 | eBay

Focal Chorus CC700V Centre Speaker - Perfect unmarked condition - RRP £350! | eBay

If these won`t work out i would get in touch every Focal dealers in UK and ask is there any ex-demo models available of that center channel. You never know and it might also lead to some dealer giving you special price for new too!

Keep us posted.

10. exc1t3

exc1t3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yeah, these are the ones I was looking at, although the first one is clearly damaged, and I wouldn't go for it. Good suggestion about Focal dealers - I'm on in now :)

11. exc1t3

exc1t3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    So... thanks so much for the suggestion @Gasp3621

Emailed a few retailers and it turns out I can pick one up - brand new - for £280 - from my local shop as well. Will be delivered on Friday for pick up.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  12. exc1t3

exc1t3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    So... the shop also offered me brand new WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 11.1 for £159, which is a very good price. I think I'm going to go for the whole set - if I don't like the sound that much, I can always return it.

Pretty amazed with the offers the shop provided, and although it'll be 50% over the budget, I hope that the investment will be worth it.

I'll let you know how it sounds once I get the set connected.

13. exc1t3

exc1t3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    :(

14. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +732
    Damn. Keep calling those shops, some shop might have it on stock and you can say X dealer gave me this price, can you match it etc.

No word yet from the ebay guy?

You can get the Diamond 220 for 119£, maybe even 99£ at RS if you push those guys little. But is the Wharfedale right choice with Focals that i don`t know. Wharfedale`s are usually quite warm & laid back sounding, not sure about Focals. There might be better choices to partner with. I might have a talk with Focal dealer (not RS).

15. exc1t3

exc1t3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    No, the guy from ebay didn't reply. I've emailed about 20 dealers, and only one of them has stock. I guess I can wait, there is no massive rush to be honest. The only reason I'd go with the Wharfedales is the good price and the fact that I already have a subwoofer from them, which does a very good job.

I'm thinking of popping into the store that offered me the good price, as they seemed pretty helpful via email and see how they sound. If I have time over the weekend might also pop into RS and check other brands to see which ones I like better.

The dealer that offered me these prices is a local, family owned shop - and the service I have received so far was very good, so hopefully they can offer me some other options or order something different for me. Need to support local businesses!

16. exc1t3

exc1t3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    So @gibbsy @Gasp3621 - any recommendations for the rear surround speakers? I'm planning on going over to RS to check some speakers out. As mentioned above, I can get the Wharfedale 11.1 for £159, but not too sure what other/better options I could get in this price range?

Thanks again for all suggestions so far :)

17. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +732
    I did some reading and Focal`s sound signature is said to be more bright and forward, so Wharfedale would be quite the opposite then = poor match cause as i said Wharfedale is usually known to be warm sounding & laid back.

Personally i would call to Audio T and ask how they feel which brand generally would be most closest match to Focal if there is one. I have only heard good from these guys, so hopefully there is someone who would be able to help. Store Finder | Audio T

Richer Sound sells Focal, but asking from them what to buy and they will sell you something expensive which they have lot in stock. I wouldn`t trust on those guys expertise, i have heard so many "sad" stories.. RS is kind of shop where you go knowing what you will be buying, not for asking any questions. :laugh:

Very tough to find any black Focal bookshelf speakers, that would have been clearly best choice. Closest what i could find was Dome 2.0 which shares same type drivers than your speakers, but comes in smaller size.
    Focal Dome Speakers 2.0 Gloss Black With Shelf, Wall And Floor Stands | eBay

https://www.focal.com/sites/www.foc...g/document/dome_20-21_specification-sheet.pdf

RS has walnut colour CC700 for 280£, could there be black in one of their shops available for same price, maybe open box/ex-demo? Did you call them? Focal Single Centre Speaker

18. exc1t3

exc1t3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    AudioT are not anywhere close to me, as I'm based in Scotland :(

I have booked a demo with my local dealer to see how the Wharfedales will sound, but unfortunately the only other speakers they could demo at the same time for comparison would be 686 from B&W at £349.

I'm planning on going to RS just to check what other options might be available, but will not buy from them.

19. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +732
    Well calling to Audio T would be just calling to ask some advice regarding Focals and others. Audio T sells other brands as well including Wharfedale, Q Acoustics, Monitor Audio, Dali. All those brands can be compared in RS, but Audio T guys might have idea which of those brands would be closest match to Focals. I mean it`s just one phone call which might give you some idea..

If i had to guess Dali or Monitor Audio might be closest, brighter than some others.

Of course you could still keep looking Focal bookshelfs as 2nd hand. Maybe put wanted add here at classifieds aswell. Anything other than Focals as surrounds is a slight compromise. How much it will matter for you is another thing.

20. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,690
    The rears would be better coming from Focal but that could prove expensive new. As Gasp has said the Focals are considered to be on the bright side which makes a Dali Pico a choice. You can pick up the fairly neutral Cambridge Minis from RS which will make for a stopgap that could have a future use in the Atmos role. Again it all comes down to how much your budget is for the rears as new Focals will set you back around £500.

Dali Zensor Pico Speakers | Dali | Audio T

Focal Chorus 706 Speakers (Pair)

21. exc1t3

exc1t3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The Dali Zensor Pico look pretty interesting. I've emailed Audio-T, see what they recommend. Thanks guys! I'll keep you posted.