Looking for a wireless surround sound system

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by iainkane, Jan 8, 2008.

1. iainkane

iainkane
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Hopefully someone will be able to help me. I am getting a new 50" plasma Samsung tv in the next couple of weeks and I am looking for a nice wireless surround sound system to go with it. My girlfriend saw one at the home show and thought it was great, as there was no wires but I never got a note of the one she saw.

I'm pretty techie but less so with sound systems, but I'll pick it up.

Help would be great.

Thanks
    Iain

2. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,367
    Just be careful.

Wireless surrounds are,
    1. Not that great
    2. Cost more
    3. Still require wires, nice big mains cables and a power socket.
    4. Usually only come in all-in-one systems which in turn have next to no connectivity.

So think things through, if you have carpet it is dead easy to hide speaker wires, even posh looking micro trunking can do the trick.

Think through exactly what audio sources you want to connect to the system and what you may want to connect in the near future, in a lot of cases you will be lucky to get a all-in-one system with 1 optical input.

Requiring optical for 5.1 sound.
    PS3
    SKYHD
    SKY+
    XBOX360
    PC's (Media centres)
    Cable TV
    Blu-Ray
    HDDVD
    and the list goes on.

All-in-ones can not be upgraded, and if one bit fails it is throw it all away.

3. iainkane

iainkane
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah right ok I'm not so keen on this anymore. I must say I did think about the power cables thing although she did say there were no wires, sounds like magic to me. I've got a few things that need to go into it

PS3
    SKYHD
    Media centre PC
    DVD recorder

In that case could you advise what sort of systems to look at and what brands are worth considering. It is more than likely going to be for my new place so it'll need to look the part and have good sound quality. It seems silly to buy an excellent telly then not bother with a good surround sound or one at all, although my previous surround system (a bush system in 2001) was not that great but as they say you get what you pay for.

Cheers and thanks for the help Andy
    Iain

4. Hawkwind

Hawkwind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    What sort of budget have you got? :thumbsup:

5. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
  6. stu1wyatt

stu1wyatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Yep be careful, I previously had a Sony Surround system that was top of the range with wireless rear speakers however you still have to have power between speakers and one rear connecting to the mains.

I have just upgraded to An Onkyo 705 with Tannoy Arena lites and the sound difference is amazing.

Also the Sony's used IR which are prone to interference from stronger signals.

7. iainkane

iainkane
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not 100% sure of the budget, what sort of budget is reasonable? I was thinking maybe something in the region of £500 give or take but if you need alot more to get something good then I could maybe look into it and see what I can find.

I've never heard of B&W what sort of price would one of their systems come in at? That one isn't launched till autumn but any idea the sort of price that would be attached to it?

Thanks for all the help so far.

8. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,367
    That is not top end budget but here are a few links to assist you on the way, BUT still think through how much optical connectivity you require.
    http://www.richersounds.co.uk/information.php?cda=static&cst=homecinemasystems
    http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz_product_pages/yamaha_av62.shtml but no DVD
    Very good buys http://www.creative-audio.co.uk/HCS_ONK505_Q1000i.php
    http://www.creative-audio.co.uk/HCS_ONK505_KHT2005.php these last two again no DVD but the quality is far better than an all-in-one.

9. iainkane

iainkane
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest I am not bothered in the least about a DVD player in the system. I have my PS3 which plays both blu ray and upscales DVD's, so along with my DVD recorder I have not need for another. So a stand alone system would be great. I know it isn't going to get me top end (like Linn or Bose my knowledge of top end systems is a bit light) but thought it would get me something pretty good.

10. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,367
    Fair play on you mate. As you say all you really need is a good AV system and thank god you are starting to see the light and moving away from an all-in-one. I suppose it is now "How do I explain all this to the Mrs and her idea of wireless surrounds?"

P.S. Bose and high-end do not really go in the same sentence!, Bose and aseptically pleasing can appear in the same sentence.

11. iainkane

iainkane
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats the million dollar question how to explain and get away with it, I bet the response is it doesn't look as nice.

Agree with Bose they look superb but I have always found the quality to be very very good, but possibly just what I am comparing it to. I am not fussed about something that needs put together from different retailers as my brother in law is a DJ and was sound tech for a couple of big nightclubs so I'll get him to set it up and shout him a few beers for his trouble as he always goes about distortion from badly placed speakers and things like that and besides I will be able to pick it up I mean can it be much more complicated than taking computers to pieces and re-building them surely its just wires? My problem is more I am not sure what is available.

So I am better with an amp and speakers set up then? I also like the ipod docks that you could add to those bottom 2 systems. So are Onkyo and Kef pretty good then? I've seen them mentioned on here before but never heard of them otherwise. If there were a few brands that I should be concentrating on what would they be? Basically something that will produce good sound and is pleasing to the eye as its an open plan apartment and my girlfriend would not be happy with "an ugly big speaker" I can hear it now. Am I better paying extra for the speaker system or the amp?

I know that there are quite a few questions but thanks so much for the help so far.

That B&W mentioned above I was on their site and I am sure I have seen their speakers in both stuff and fhm's gadgets, would that be right?

12. iainkane

iainkane
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh and I think if I get some nice speaker stands that should stand me in good stead with her in terms of the looks.

Also is what I am looking for a £5k system on a £500 budget or is it reasonale?

13. iainkane

iainkane
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I say I want these speakers KEF KHT5005.2 speakers

14. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,367
    Wow, your budget has just gone through the roof?

Excellent speakers, good choice.

15. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,367
  16. iainkane

iainkane
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not 100% sure I can justify the outlay but they are stunning. Now all I need to do is find them at £500 and I am sorted ;-)

17. iainkane

iainkane
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok guys thanks a million for all the help so far, in particular Andy.

So here is where I am up to, I have been having a look at speakers and AV receivers. So far I have seen enough to blow a small mortgage on which obviously I am not keen on doing. I've seen quite alot of speakers and even if my budget won't stretch to kef kht 5005's then I think I might go for one of the kef egg sets, going to speak to Richersounds and maybe see if I can hear some of them.

Now stage 2 av recevier. I have seen quite a few with lots of cool things like wireless pc connectivity for internet radio and upscaling etc along with all of the technical input output info. Some basic questions given my current connectivity requirements which would ideally be

TV
    Sky+ / HD
    PS3
    DVD Recorder
    iPod Dock of some kind - maybe Onkyo DS-A2X iPod Docking Station (on creativeaudio is it any good)
    some sort of wireless laptop connectivity - saw something on creativeaudio as well

I want to use this as a complete integrated entertainment system.

How many inputs and outputs do I need allowing for some space for future upgrades, and what sort of inputs?

What sort of ratio of price of receiver to speakers would be normal and is it worth spending extra on the receiver or the speakers? I think basically if you were to spend an extra £100 or £200 would you get the biggest improvement in performance by spending it on the receiver, speakers or a bit of both?

What sort of extras would be most benficial to have on the receiver, 7.1, upscaling, bi-amping (what is this I've seen it mentioned?) andthing else?

Thanks again for all the help so far, its an interesting learning curve.