looking for a watch

johndoe1

Prominent Member
Reaction score
slim case, "sport" look

less than or around £150..

not skagen.. has to be a relatively well known brand..

been looking for a bit but cant find anything that fits the bill.

Last edited:
If you're willing to stretch your budget a tad, try Christopher Ward ! otherwise, seiko !!!!

Festina/Sekonda/Pulsar all do the sort of watch you want.
Personally, my preference would be Festina.
Proper Swiss watch company.
Avoid anything with a designer name (Calvin Klein/Guess etc)
I only like watches made by watch companies, not generic watches with a designer name stamped on the face. :-(

Have a look at the time factors watches Eddie does some good stuff.

Or if you can find in sale Dreyfus and co are very nice for the
Money

really struggling after a good few hours browsing... metal strap is ok.. cant find any well known brands that are thinish (doesnt have to be ultra thin) and dont look like a dress watch

Animal watch with Velcro strap costs around £50. Perhaps the face isn't thin enough.

thanks for the suggestion m8 but he's 60.. animal is a bit of a yound brand. thinking more seiko or along those lines. that being said will have a look at animal now.

Re Seiko.

Look at this eBay seller called JustSeiko. I bought a watch from her earlier this year. It's a really nice watch for the money.

19523022178-orig.png

Last edited by a moderator:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
In so much people will say "beware" fakes buying off eBay, I think the feedback speaks for itself, as well as me giving them a thumbsup. They are authentic Seiko watches without a doubt.

Of course it's down to personal choice and wrist size, but the one you linked I'd find a bit small at 38mm on the dial size. I bought the watch above for my dad who's 80, and he loves it. The slightly larger size (41mm) means its easier to glance at for him. Good luck with the purchase whatever you decide!

If you're after Seiko try creationwatches. I've used them for a few purchases inc. a Seiko similar to Mr. Incredible (gold version) above and can recommend them.

I've got a very similar Seiko titanium with a blue face, had it for around 15 years.
It stopped working recently, despite a battery change. :-(
I'd get it fixed, but at around 38mm I feel it's too small now and fixing it would be pointless as I'd never wear it.
Very light and tough watches though, being titanium.
Maybe I'll get a quote for fixing it and use it for night use, it had excellent lume.

Last edited:
I've never had to pay any duty using creationwatches but have for watches bought in HK, Japan and the US.

Watches can be imported duty free from the USA, it's the VAT which is applied.

Mr Incredible said:
Watches can be imported duty free from the USA, it's the VAT which is applied.

Duty on watches was 4.5% the last time I looked.
I'll have access to the customs tariff when I get into work tomorrow.

It's only 2mm more than the one you linked to! But, as you say, if you have a specific size to aim for, then your choice is not as wide. For someone with a slight wrist, 12mm thickness could be a bit too much I guess.

he doesnt have slight wrists, just a preference for slim watches and 12 over 10 is 20% and quite a perceptible difference I reckon.. I will have a good browse as the seiko is the look I am after.. direction has certainly helped.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom