Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Looking for a wall bracket - look here :)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by jimbob19, Dec 15, 2004.

1. jimbob19

jimbob19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    :thumbsup:

Was looking for ages for a wall bracket for my Sharp LC37GA3E and couldn't find anything suitable at a reasonable price - until now

The Bracket is articulated and very sturdy , it will take up to 30Kg and
    is Vesa 75,100 and 200 compatible

http://www.hifistore.co.uk/product.php?qsProd=Z849 - order some cables and get free delivery

Slightly cheaper here http://www.digitaldirectuk.com/products_moreinfo3/index.asp?product_id=7088

Can't stress enough how good this bracket is , there are other models if you don't need vesa 200

2. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +370
    I have the VEDA Z846 flat mount. It only cost £40, and holds my Toshiba 26WL46 up perfectly - which is not bad when you consider it is a 20kg+ set.

This one is only VESA 75 and 100 compatible, so probably only good for those of us with <26" LCDs.

3. iSix

iSix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why couldn't you have posted this thread a week ago :p

I ordered one of the "Articulated Arm with Tilt and Swivel" mounts (which is ok for now) from here: http://av-sales.co.uk/html/lcd_mounts.html
    Looks a similar design to yours.

How many fixing holes does yours have in the wall plate? (the one I linked to only has 3, so I'm having to modify it to have some more because I'm fixing into thermalite blocks)

4. Hyp3rion

Hyp3rion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    did you not consider getting Sharp's own wall bracket?

5. sparkybun

sparkybun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    iSix,

It would be interesting to know what weight you are trying to hang on Thermalite Blocks and exactly what fixing method you are using. I'm toying with the idea but it's difficult enough just trying to hang a mirror let alone a LCD!

Cheers

Mel

6. Ultim8Fury

Ultim8Fury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sharps own bracket is very good and very reasonably priced for a manufacturers own mount.

7. jimbob19

jimbob19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Sharps own bracket is not an articulated one unfortunately , which is what I required. Luckily I live in an old Victorian house , so the walls are solid and not thermalite blocks :eek:

Shall be getting some hefty rawlbolts to put the mount onto the wall

8. amrypooins

amrypooins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have Sharps own tilting bracket for my 32GA4E and it is very well made, very functional and reasonably priced at £130

9. iSix

iSix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't mounted my LCD yet (probably get around to it tomorrow), but at the moment I have a 15" CRT on a heavy steel bracket, which is fixed up with 6 6mm x 60mm (#12 x 2.5") screws into some special thermalite plugs like these: https://secure.betts-tools-direct.co.uk/acatalog/Betts_Tools_Direct_Wallplugs_57.html and that's not moving anywhere (it's even been through 2 earth quakes :smashin: )

10. iSix

iSix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sparkybun - the total weight (including the bracket) is around 21KG :) (18KG TV ~3KG (guess) bracket)

I found some 'no more nails' when I was poking around in the shed, so I drilled out the holes, filled them with no more nails and whilst it was still wet pushed in the special plugs and screwed in the wall plate with 5 6mm x 60mm screws.
    It's rock solid, I've had the 'arm' part fixed into the wall plate and fully extended, with 22KG of weights hanging from it for testing (the bracket is only rated for 20KG...) :D so it should be fine when I hang the TV tomorrow... I hope.

11. Hyp3rion

Hyp3rion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got my GA374E yesterday and im going to wall mount it tonight using a Sharp wall bracket :clap:
    Anything nasty i should prepare for?

12. amrypooins

amrypooins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5

Not really- I am a DIY walking nightmare, and it was incredibly easy to put up. Just spend a bit of time ensuring you have the bracket put up straight. Its a little time consuming as it requires a lot of screws (about 14-20 to attach to wall) but its very easy to assemble.

13. Hyp3rion

Hyp3rion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    14-20 screws?? lol thank god for cordless screwdrivers :laugh:

14. amrypooins

amrypooins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5

Tell me about it. I live in a 12th C house with walls made of possibly the hardest materials known to man (I guess this would be why my house is still standing 800 years later, so I should be greatful) and it was one hell of a job drilling 16 screw holes even with a power drill, decent masonry bits and a cordless screwdriver.

15. rabbit25

rabbit25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i've posted another thread to get advice on hanging my veda debut flat bracket for 32ga4e, but then I saw this thread - so what type of screw do you recommend for a brick wall with plaster - there's 4 holes in the bracket

thanks

16. jimbob19

jimbob19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I am putting mine up tommorow morning - will be using 4 rawl bolts heavy duty

17. iSix

iSix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jimbob19 - have you got the bracket mounted yet? How's it handling your display (and what is the weight of your display?)? does it bend/twist when you extend it fully away from the wall?

The one I posted a link to is sh*te, when it's flat against the wall it's ok, but as soon as you pull the screen to extend the arm, the arm bends and twists all over the place then the screen ends up at an angle that is unwatchable, this is with a <18KG screen on it (the bracket is *supposed* to hold 20KG).

Can't be doing with the hassle and cost of returning it so it's coming down after xmas and heading straight for the bin.

18. jimbob19

jimbob19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Hi ISX , bracket is fine , now I've secured it properly , it handles the weight no problem at all (26kg). The bracket does not twist or sag at all :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

19. jimbob19

jimbob19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Ignore the mess of cables underneath and the state of the plaster !!
    That will all be tidied up once my new speakers arrive :)

The 4 holes to the left are where the original rawl bolts came out of the wall
    on the first attempt :eek:

20. AndySee

AndySee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    bracket looks good. that picture is better than the sales picture which doesn't show the articulation clearly, I nearly ignored it. my bracket has just arrived today, excellent service from hifistore limited, recommended here. now off to find some bolts before Sky+ person arrives.

21. AndySee

AndySee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    arrggh. I posted under the 32wl thread... this Tosh doesn't have standard Vesa holes in back. Now I need some sort of adjustment bracket to change 60.5 x 33 to 20 x 20. I wish a Sharp had been available

22. jimbob19

jimbob19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    If it were me . I would drill some additional holes in the existing bracket , would be quicker and cheaper

Just a thought :smashin:

23. AndySee

AndySee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    the additonal holes are already there, it's the larger size plate around them that's missing ;)

24. roopsbrar

roopsbrar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    iSix - The mount you've ordered from AV sales, looks exactly (same spec, design etc etc) like the one I ordered from ricamstore.co.uk (but I only paid £55 inc VESA 200 bracket and postage). I also needed a tilt/swivvel arm & it will handle 20kg (I have a Sharp LC 37HV4E, which weighs 19.6kg with speakers) but there are some issues - this is the email I sent Ricam, who are contacting the manufacturers for a response:

"The mount struggles to handle the weight of the screen (19.6kg) - it distorts & twists the metal frame, and I'm worried about the pivot bolts ability to handle the strain.

The wall mount screws are OK...not brilliant, and need to be bigger (and no instructions given on what size drill bit to use - but use size 8)

When extended out to either side, the bracket to wall connect slips, however tight the screws have been tightened, which means the screen hangs at an odd angle. The only means to prevent this (that I can think of) is to insert some thin rubber strips between the wall and bracket, then screw the thing back to the wall.

Do you any suggestions or alternatives (can you speak with your supplier) for a heavier duty arm - as this is not upto the job.

I have a picture of the arm, which shows the distortion if you want it.

JIMBOB - how flat does the Veda Debut Z849 go - what the distance wall to screen when flat - would really appreciate the info, as I might order this if Ricam can't get an upgraded arm.

25. iSix

iSix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    roopsbrar - exactly the same problems I'm having. :(
    However, mine dosen't slip on the wall because I modified the wall plate and drilled a hole in each corner of it and used those plus the hole in the middle of the bracket to mount it (I also didn't use the supplied wall screws because I was fixing into thermalite blocks which need special plugs and bigger screws).
    I find that if the bracket is fully extended forwards, it bends so much that the screen has to be tilted upwards (nearly to the full 17 degrees that the mount will allow) just to get the screen to be flat, otherwise it's pointing down at the floor.

Can you confirm if yours is indeed the same as mine, manufactured by a company called "B-Tech 'better by design'" (4 meridian center, vulcan way, new addington, cr0 9ug. 01689 848535) and mine came in a yellow/orange box with a blue stripe down the right side and a picture of a samsung tv on it. (BT7513)
    Think I might have to send them a complaint.

jimbob19 - in addition to roopsbrars question, can you also measure the full extension of the bracket (from the wall to the back of the tv when it's fully extended), thanks :)

26. roopsbrar

roopsbrar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    iSix - Its the very same manufacturer, only cheaper. I think I'll follow your lead and put in a couple of extra stablising screws. I'll let you know what response the distributor (Ricam) gets. If Jimbob19's response is good - I may just get the same one as his & return the B-Tec arm, despite having chucked the box!

You can see the distortion even without a full extension - I can email the pics to you if you want (will also confirm the mount I have)

27. jimbob19

jimbob19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Fully flat - back of lcd is 4.5 inches from wall
    Extended - back of lcd is 16.5 inches from wall

Hope this helps :)

Just to add - there is no distortion at all - fully extended

28. iSix

iSix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers JimBob - I think I'm going to take this one down and use the tabletop stand that came with my lcd for now, and then order one of those veda brackets in the new year. :)

I just looked at the site that roopsbrar posted and the bracket I have is only £26.99 :eek:, I feel so ripped off :( av-sales charged me three times that price and it even had parts missing when it arrived (although they did refund £25 for the missing parts)

Roopsbrar - I don't need to extend the bracket to see distortion on mine either, when it's folded flat against the wall the single 'front' bar is supposed to go between the 2 'back' bars, but with mine the single bar catches on the bottom of the 2 back bars because of the distortion.
    If I was you, rather than drilling the extra holes as I did, I'd send it back for a refund and get the veda bracked jimbob posted.

29. Mike246

Mike246

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    AndySee and others,

Beware using a universal bracket for the Tosh 32WL48. The mountings are far spread for the size of the set and after two abortive purchases, I took Tosh' advice and went for the Vogels bracket. I got the static one which is costly enough and the articulating one is a mortgage job.

The end result is very good and an important point is that when the tele is mounted, you can still get to the side and lower cable bays without removal.

30. roopsbrar

roopsbrar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike246 - I also took a good hard look at the Vogel....the eye watering price made me think twice, but I did find the EFW2003 for only £266 (now £288, but was retailing everywhere else for around £450!!. Here is the link for it, sorry to spoil your xmas if you meant to buy this one - it has tilt & swivel (http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_18933.html)

ISix - thanks for the feedback, once I have some feedback from Ricam, I'll ask for a refund and order the same one as you & JimBob.