Looking for a value 15" or 17" LCD TV

almightygoodgod

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I move into my new in a few weeks and am trying to kit it out before I move in. Have bought the Samsung LE32R73 for the living room but am now looking for a 15" or 17" for the bedroom. Having spend just about every penny I have on a TV, 3 piece suite and a new bed I am looking to get the best deal I can.

My only requirement is that it has either two scart inputs or a scart and an S-video as I will be connecting a Sky box and a DVD player to it.

I saw the Mikomi in Argos for £149.99 but it only had one scart input so it wouldn't do the job.

Does anyone have any ideas on a TV or a place to buy. Online discount codes would also be appreciated.

Cheers.

If u can, get a set from argos, limited that they are choice wise, but argos are ace for taking items back, well if your pushy and know what to say. My dad had a dodgy 15 lcd from there, and i took it back 11 months later and got a much improve set, and some cash back for him... well i spent that extra on a nice battery charger and hoover bags, buts thats another story.

No, but get a 17" because 15" will be too small (I know 'cause I;ve got one!).

Cheers guy, I've seen a 17" Hyundai L17T on ebay for £170 (I can pick it up so no postage) but am unsure as I get the impression that it is actually a monitor that can be used as a TV. Will trowl the web for reviews before I make up my mind.

L17T is a PC monitor with a built in Analogue TV Tuner.
Been around for a while, (just been updated by changing to black design) but a fairly good second unit as a PC Monitor/stand alone TV...

Have a look on www.hyundaiq.com for the full specs though..

Dual 15 inch lcd (DUAL DLCD1501) was reviewed in 'What Hi-Fi' July and got 5 stars and has all the connections you need and is only £170.

Sorry meant to say the Dual LCD is from Asda. Also in 'What HiFi' September they reviewed a MOGEN 20 inch LCD for £250 and gave it 5 stars , again has all the connections you need and can be picked up from Sainbury's.

I am after a small LCD also for kitchen - Can't seem to find anything in the 17 inch widescreen range - only 15 inch 4:3 and 20 inch WS (too big).

Any body any ideas?

I've got a Philips 17PF4310 (bought late last year).
I use this as a bedroom TV and I'm very pleased with it.

I bought mine from John Lewis - but I just checked and they no longer offer it, so I'm not sure if it's been superseded.

I have some friends who went for a 'value' 15" LCD (an Amstrad) and it wasn't too good! Straight from the box there was a dead pixel in the middle of the screen and the whole set had a cheap feel to it. If I were you I would hold fire on buying a value LCD and wait until you are able to buy a known brand.

I bought the Mogen 20" from Sainsbury today for the kitchen and picture quality/sound seem good considering it's receiving a SKY feed via my loftbox.

Very impressed given the price - even got 5p of per litre of fuel so saved even more :thumbsup: .

It doesn't look like it but the stand it comes on tilts pretty well.

Luckily I've got a shelf in the kitchen which it fits on perfectly.

Hi, do you have a picture of your shelf? Was thinking it might be easier to put it on a shelf that wall mount it

Any chance you could include a pic of the tv too... have been looking for a pic of the Mogen but can't find one.... cheers

Ended up with a Samsung 19" WS for £299 from Argos - see how it goes over the week and take back if anything better comes up

Cheers

Can someone please simply recommend 17" LCD TV monitors that I should consider, normally their are a couple of front runners. price has to be reasonable and spec good. widescreen if possible

Thanks

As promised, this should be a picture of the TV on the shelf (assuming I've managed to attach it correctly :) ).

Hopefully this is what you guys were looking for but if not let me know.

Attachments

• IMGP0256.JPG
    IMGP0256.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 121
cheers, it looks good
Its not on a free standing shelf though right, look like it is on your microwave or something

Yeah - handy shelf above the built in microwave.

The TV isn't too heavy (12.5KG according to the box) so I'm sure some heavy duty rawl plugs would do the job if you did put up a shelf.

Thanks Steven, do you know if they still do the Mogen 20" at Sainsburys

I'd assume so - I only got mine on Friday in Edinburgh.

It's reduced from £270 to £250 so I'd guess they'll have a reasonable stock but your best bet would probably be to give your local store a call.

How do you rate the picture / sound of it so far mate... do you have it connected to a digital source? (eg. Sky / freeview)

I have it indirectly wired up to my Sky Digital via a Loft Box and given it's not the cleanest signal in the world the quality of the pitcure and sound is excellent - I haven't noticed any ghosting or anything and it's definitely no worse than the 14" CRT that was connected up before.

I'm planning on connecting a DVD player up to it directly when I get a chance to try a strong signal but can't guarantee this will be anytime soon (small baby at home which takes up most of my spare time :) ).

If you've not already had the chance, have a look at the review in this months (September) "What HiFi" and you'll see even the "experts" give it a glowing review (5 stars as mentioned in an earlier post in the thread) which is what convinced me to give it a try.

So far I'd say it's an excellent buy for the price.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom