Looking for a TV for my folks and pretty lost. Help appreciated!

Londonian

Standard Member
Reaction score
After starting my research fairly confident I have come to realise that this is a confusing and murky world. I figured I should ask for help rather than pretend I know enough about the subject to make the best choice.

I'm looking for a 40-42inch TV. Other than the size (I know they want 40-42) there are no hard set ideas of what TV we would like.

Just to give as much info as possible. It's for the front room and will mostly be used by my parents. My dad watches football and the news, my mum watches Indian films for the most part. So nothing visually demanding. I'll occasionally use it to play on my 360 and watch films. The front room is not an overly bright room so that's not a concern. Low power consumption isn't a must or very high up on the list; but saving a bit of cash is always a plus.

Our budget is modest Ideally around £500 but if it's a very good TV/deal we can stretch to £600. It took us a long time to save up for this (dad is very ill, mum and I do much caring which leaves less time for working) so I really want to make sure we get something that'll do my parents proud. Whichever TV we get has a lot to live up to the one we currently have is older than my 28 year old brother...

I think the most important factor for my mum is value for money; if she feels like she is getting a deal she'll be chuffed. My dad it's quality; he won't notice it but he is reassured to know that it's there.

So any suggestions and points/nudges in the right direction? I'm hoping so.

I probably should have mentioned that. We do already have Sky.

Thank you for the two suggestions thus far guys! I had put the UE40D5520 onto my mental shortlist at one point.

How about the Panasonic TX-P42ST30B? It's gone down to £450 on Amazon at the moment. Is it a better purchase than the Samsung? Which is probably a hard to answer question.

Depends if you want something slim and good looking, whether the SMART functions of the Samsung are of use, whether you want an extended warranty - best go to a shop and see :)

We went to the shops today and all of the staff were mostly just too overwhelmed to be of any use. Some of the TVs were on, some were not and clearly very few of them were calibrated.

She will use some apps of the smart tv; Youtube especially. It's all she does whenever she goes online. However, she also likes the idea of a 3DTV and really was impressed by the look of the Panasonic in store. Think I may just ask her which features she feels are most important.

I think the ST30 may have some Smart stuff?

Edit due to my previous post being a lie that google proved false!

Okay, so my last question. Just seen the Samsung UE40D6100 going for £526 at Dixons. Is it worth considering along with the other two sets?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thank you so much for that save! Okay, well I am feeling pretty well armed to advise my folks now. In the end I'll give my mum and dad the final say on choosing either the Panasonic ST30B or the Samsung UE40D5520.

Really appreciate all of the advice; thanks a lot.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom