Looking for a TV exclusively for PC use (Gaming and Work)

Kandula

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi! As someone completely new to the TV industry, last year I wrote here and your huge help allowed me to pick my first oled TV (55'' LG G1 for my bedroom). Even now, I'm happy with my purchase considering the price and the other options I could've gone with. Now, I'm kind of more in tune with the industry (I became a fan, now I'm salivating about all new models and tech advancements, it's your fault), but I wanted to ask your opinion what to get anyway.
I currently use a 27'' VA Samsung Odyssey g7 monitor from 2020 for my computer. I want to get something bigger and more advanced because I have big issues with my eyes, so I'm looking to reduce eye strain as much as I can ( I'm using dark themes, when working very low light from the monitor, night mode that reduces the blue light). Obviously I'm looking to enlarge the text.
...And I got spoiled by the G1, so my current monitor just doesn't quite cut it for gaming anymore. I only game single-player games and I don't remember being bothered by input-lag ever on any screen.
The monitor/TV will be exclusively used with a PC for roughly 50 hours a week. It will be used for IT work (lots of browser tabs, programs, chat rooms) and HDR gaming - always HDR, no SDR gaming at all. Sound quality is irrelevant, as I have a soundbar setup I'll use (don't ask why I'm using it through a PC). I don't think I'll watch a single movie or even media on it aside from work-related stuff and the odd youtube video. I'll be staring at the screen dead-on, maybe slightly lower if I incline back when gaming.

My hesitation - seems like I'm one of those people who can't stop thinking about oled burn-in and I'm not sure quite what to do. Thought I'd grow out of it after a while with the G1 but it's always at the back of my mind. Yet at the same time the quality is undeniable. That's actually the reason I wanted the premium models last year for that "evo" deuterium panel for long-term usage. The G1 was my third choice for the bedroom behind A90J (1600€ at Black Friday) and Philips 936 (1600€) but the price I found the G1 at (1300€) was by far the best of the bunch and not much more more than the C1 (1100€). I don't even want to mention Panasonic's price.
I'm explaining this so you understand I'm looking for some good value so at least whatever I get isn't stupidly expensive and if I end up with burn-in in 2-3 years I'll feel less of an idiot. It's possible over time I'll migrate whatever I get to another room if I feel I'll destroy the panel too quick. By that point there will probably be decently priced good PC monitors. But I want to use whatever I get as much as I can (read 4-5 years or until I'm sick of it/sick of worrying).
If it happens to be oled, I'm prepared to do whatever I can to mitigate the risks: lots of dimming - I use it very dim anyway; program tiling on the screen if it's large enough; changing where the tiles are so they aren't at the same place for more than an hour or two; black backgrounds; hidden taskbar; hidden system icons; turning off the screen after 2-3 minutes if it's not in use. That being said, I'm not married to the idea of oled, so I'm hoping you'll sway me one way or the other.

I like a good PPI ratio, but considering the prices, I won't be able to match my current one (105 PPI, the screen is 1440p). At the moment I'm looking exclusively at the 42-50'' range unless something very very cheap comes up, but honestly, anything over 48'' is way too much for desk use in my opinion. A 4K screen with the same PPI as my current monitor would be 40''.

The room can be as dim or lit as I please. I've got heavy curtains on it. There won't be any direct sunlight coming in. I will absolutely use bias lighting and/or another light in the room, which won't shine directly at the screen.

So if I may please intrude on you, what do you think I should get for my use case? I'll list some of the models and prices I'm thinking over, but I really want your opinion. I may even just wait and not buy anything this year, although if this would really help my eyes, I'd rather not wait.
I want HDMI 2.1 features, but I don't need more than 2 ports. The entire screen will be dedicated to a PC. From the 2.1 features I just want 120hz HDR with VRR. If VRR gamma flicker bothers me, I mod games' black levels, so that's not really a big issue. My graphics card is Nvidia now, so G-sync is preferrable, but it's probably not a deal breaker.

Some models I watch:
Samsung QE43QN90AATXXH - 780€
Samsung QE43QN90BATXXH - 1110€
PHILIPS 55OLED706 - 850€ - a curveball. I know I said I don't want a 55'' for PC use, but I thought the price was good for the size.
PHILIPS 48OLED806/12 - 850€
LG OLED48C12LA - 850€
LG OLED48C21LA - 1100€
LG OLED42C21LA - 1000€

I am aware there are QD-oled monitors on the market. Their price is ridiculous and I don't like ultrawides at all. The only other thing I was looking at in terms of monitors is the incoming 32'' Samsung Neo G7. It's mini-led with 1100 zones, but the price there will be 1300 or more, which is ridiculous as well considering what you get. If it's oled, I really wanted the new deuterium-based panel here too, but it's pretty much unrealistic to expect this in the coming 1-2 years.

It's very hard for me to decide on which technology to use. Obviously with me worrying about burn-in I should look more at mini-leds, but neither the price nor their performance has impressed me, and I'm unsure whether to go for higher quality but lower durability oled, or just the tried and true LCDs which from what I read will probably impress me less. Your opinion is very valuable to me and thanks for reading all of this. Please, refer me to other models if you believe I should be interested in them.

It's an easy decision to make between LCD and OLED at smaller sizes because the OLEDs are just as good as larger sizes, yet LCD TVs are not. The C1 OLED at 48" is just as good at 55" and up, yet the 43" and 50" Samsung LCD TVs are lower in peak brightness at smaller sizes making their HDR picture quality less impressive.

Not just this, but your personal use case is better for OLED anyway, as those 43" LCD TVs will have much poorer viewing angles. Up close the sides/corners of the screen will be darker.

If I were you, I'd hold tight for now and track the pricing on the new 42" C2 OLED and swoop when it comes down. It will likely be too expensive right now, but it offers the best way to get a good TV at smaller sizes.

Like you say, if the deal is good and you do get burn in later down the line then at least you know you got a good price.

A few reasons I say it's worth waiting; you said you like higher PPI and 4k at 42" is going to be better than 4k at 48", also 48" is a bit big for desk use imo

Thanks for the answer. Your opinion helps me a lot, as it id before.
A few things I want to ask - do you think static content on a PC will be problematic in the long-term if the light output is put to a minimum?
Second - do you think there will be a true difference in the longevity of the panel in contrast to the newer evo/ex panel (or whatever they want to call those) or I'm thinking way too much about this stuff?
These are my last questions so thanks for the reply :).

I think if you are keeping the light output to a minimum the longevity will be increased a lot, but you may still see burn in eventually. It's likely the moment you get burn in will be after you replace the TV for different reasons. Luckily PC use doesn't tend to use bright, static elements of colour which makes it less dangerous. The new type of panel again is more resistant and will last longer. Another reason to wait for the 42" C2.

I don't think you're really over-thinking it. Many people want to hear that OLED burn in is a non-issue. In reality it's not, but it's important to understand how pixel wear can work and how soon it may happen in your own use case. You can get an idea of how long a non-evo panel will last based on tests here:

You can also see in the test how OLED light set to 60 compared to 100 effects longevity.

A good measure is to divide your usage of static material into the 5000h mark to determine how long you can expect the TV to last before you see burn in. For PC use case this may be how many hours each year you keep browser tabs or the taskbar in the same place, or how often you have an application open with static elements.

Wait, isn't the 42'' C2 using the older panel? That's what's got me confused. I thought they were using the previous generation panels only for the 42''. If you are convinced the 42'' C2 has the newer panel there really isn't anything else for me to debate, this is what I want.
By wait for the C2 to come down, do you mean until Black Friday or next spring/early summer when they sell leftover stock, just to get the best deal?

I already understand how the static content works divided by hours, I know it's cumulative and it all depends on the light output, in general. I'm also aware of the burn-in test you linked.

Another thought I just had - in theory, if you reduce color saturation, or even make the entire screen black and white (an extreme example), wouldn't that further increase the panel's life? I'm talking about just general browsing, not media consumption. E.g. I can make a profile for SDR that's almost completely mute while I just browse for work ( my work is non-color critical). On Windows 11 you just press 3 buttons and you enter HDR mode, which has a different profile.

According to here its only 55" and up:

Sorry, didn't read that until now. Even the 48" don't have the new panel.

Typical of smaller sizes. However, I still don't think the difference is drastic like it is with the QN94A and QN90A. With those you're comparing 55" and up TVs that have 2000 nits peak with ones only 900 or so.

By wait for the C2 to come down, do you mean until Black Friday or next spring/early summer when they sell leftover stock, just to get the best deal?
Yes.
Another thought I just had - in theory, if you reduce color saturation, or even make the entire screen black and white (an extreme example), wouldn't that further increase the panel's life? I'm talking about just general browsing, not media consumption. E.g. I can make a profile for SDR that's almost completely mute while I just browse for work ( my work is non-color critical). On Windows 11 you just press 3 buttons and you enter HDR mode, which has a different profile.
Not sure it's critical for your use case since I'm not sure how much bright elements you are going to have on screen, but by muting bright colours you run less of a risk of those pixels running out faster, yes.

Is it going to affect the lifespan of the TV for your use case? probably not, you likely will never see burn in on the TV.

Thanks for the answer. At this point you convinced me the C2 is the screen for me, the only thing I'm not 100% sure about is whether if the price is close I should get the 48'' and just make do with a bulkier display, so any advice on this front is useful to me, if you have it. I mean, would YOU get a 48'' under these conditions even with a worse PPI and having to move your head to see the entire screen? I can sort of look at it from a little bit farther away, I have one of these desks with retractable trays for the mouse and keyboard and I can stretch the distance through that.
I just have the feeling the prices will be so close between the 42 and 48'', the best deal might end up being the 48. This is how upsell marketing works. I work in marketing so I quite literally know this. From what I gathered earlier you think for PC use on a desk, I'm going to end up with a better experience with the 42'' version rather than 48, right?

But regardless, I did a little digging into the matter of the panels. I don't know how much of what I post is hearsay and how much you know. I just thought I'd post it here in case it's useful to you and/or others who read this.

LG's official stance is that the lower brightness of the 42/48'' versions is due to limitations imposed by the pixel density. Due to supply-chain issues (they claim), they are using the older generation panels in the 42'' and to a lesser degree, in the 48'' version, but as of Q2 this year, they supposedly started gearing more 42'' and 48'' displays with WBE panels - the deuretium-based ones which supposedly will last longer. Last year, the term "evo" referred only to these panels, this year LG apparently decided to hijack the term and claim it's not necessarily the panel, but the panel + their unique driving of the panel, so even if they use just one of these 2 things, they can still call it "evo." That's where all the talk about "Evo" trickling down to the C series comes from.

Quote: "In response, LG Electronics explained that it is true that WBC and WBE are mixed in the 42-inch OLED TV EVO, and that it is an unavoidable situation depending on LG Display's panel supply situation. WBE panels will be applied sequentially after 2Q,".

My personal take is nobody, not even LG, knows whether all 42'' will become WBE panels by Black Friday, or just some of them. The truth is probably that it all depends on how many older panel units they produced and are in stock, which regions these go to in what numbers, and how much demand there is for 42 and 48'' displays in the months from now until Black Friday hits, because most people this year will try to get the model then. There's always a chance you get either variants of the panel.

There are several Reddit threads (around 5) with people who say they figured out how to find out which panel they have through a sequential number, then LG removed it or something. There are conflicting and unreliable ramblings, but they are consistent insomuch that people who buy the 42'' C2 get both variants of the panel. IF LG really ramped up the WBE production by now, I would assume if you get something manufactured September or after, you should be getting a WBE panel for sure. But again, that's just an assumption.

My plan is to get one at Black Friday if the prices are good enough. I have a G1 in the other room, I'm not sure the off-axis pink tint trick works on all WBE panels or only some of them, but I'm definitely going to see if I can figure out if the panel is WBE, because that's what I want. If the panel's a WBE I'll be happy. If it's not, I may return the TV and try to get it again when prices fall even further in spring next year. The worst would be if I can't figure it out. I want the WBE panel just for longevity's sake, nothing else. I know I'm in for a good HDR experience either way.

Sorry for my own rambling.

Last edited:
They have been transitioning their panel production over from one facility to another, the panels themselves are produced at a very large size and then are cut in factory down to smaller sizes.

I think the older factory may only be producing smaller panels, and therefore it makes most sense for this older type of panels to be cut into the very smallest sizes.

I believe this is why the bigger the OLED, the more likely you get the new panel because it's more likely to be produced in the modern facility.

And it's not just about durability or brightness either. The new panels tend to be more uniform, and sadly also tend to have that off-axis tint. Although having said that the off-axis tint is nowhere near as bad as the off-axis viewing angles as LCD TVs. Even the best LCD TVs.

So, I don't think it will be a problem in your setup, even with a bigger TV.

What will be a problem is if you're viewing too close to such a big display. I've seen pictures of people using the 48" models as their desk monitors but I don't think I personally could. Perhaps its plausible if you wall mount it behind the desk, have a deeper desk or simply pull the desk further fro the TV.

My only personal experience was trying to use my 43" as a monitor on my desk. First the TV sits very high due to it's sheer size, so you have to raise your seating which makes it uncomfortable with most desks sitting quite low down. Second you do have to look around the screen a lot. It's fine for video content because you get a nice cinema feel, but when you're having to read things in different areas of the screen it becomes a pain.

The PPI was still good on the 43". But I'd personally not go the 48" route for a desk setup unless you can be particularly far away and have the TV separate from the desk (or with a deeper desk).

But yes, 55" are better value for money. 48" less so, but I imagine at least to begin with 48" models are going to be the same price as 42". For sheer value for money going for a 55" is going to be best, but really unsuitable for your setup. I actually think 32" is ideal, which is what I personally use on my desk. Even then I still have to look to the side to see the corners.

And yeah, LG were fitting the new types of panels to some LG C1 TVs without the increased brightness. I think they need a proper way to separate those that come with the new panel, but also those with the new panel and ability to get brighter in their marketing.

I pretty much agree with everything you said. I'd rather get the 42'' from the choices I've got. Right now I just hope I can get a longer lasting panel, so fingers crossed for the WBE panel. Maybe you're right and I shouldn't get my hopes up about he new panel, who knows. I hope LG aren't outright lying about switching 42" to it. I guess I'll see.
I'd get a 48'' panel for this setup only if the 42 inch price just doesn't seem "good" if you know what I mean. Frankly, I can't see myself paying more than 730-770 euro for the 42 version and think it's a "good" price (for reference look at some of the prices right now at the first post in this thread). And if the 48 inch is 800-830 or something, I might be tempted to go that route. This is at Black Friday.
But yeah, honestly if there was a good 32 inch display for a price that doesn't feel like an insult, I would've gotten that, I feel the same way you do about it being a perfect size, more or less. But as I said, Odyssey neo g7 32" is literally 1300 starting price. That's just ludicrous. The qd-oleds are the same and the monitor market is otherwise swamped mostly with IPS panels. And if I look at tvs I get so much more for the money, but then size becomes an issue.

Thank you for all the answers and patience, though. You are awesome as always.
Stay safe and I wish you the best.
If I buy something I'll update this thread or make a new one to thank you again :)

The latest video from AVForums

Lyngdorf MXA 8400 - Premium Power Amp Review Teaser #homecinema #poweramplifier #hometheater
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom