Looking for a TV amplifier (old style - see photos)

Gazman222

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi - I have the attached current Sony amplifier for my TV speaker wires. I need one thats not as tall but still allows the old fashioned speaker connections. Can anyone recommend something thats not the Marantz very expensive type ? Not too bothered about the sound quality but want it to fit into my new unit so needs to be about 4" - 5" high. Thanks, Gary

Attachments

• sony1.jpg
    sony1.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 41
  • sony2.jpg
    sony2.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 37
Welcome to the Forum.

What exactly to you mean by old fashioned speaker connections. In your photo you have spring connections, bare wired screw down are the most fixed to AV amps except for entry level units. You can also use 4mm banana plugs for convenience.

You will also have to factor in how much room the amp has above it for adequate ventilations. Modern AV amps tend to run very hot and good ventilation is a must.

How many speakers is it going to drive? What is your budget? Bit more information needed from you.

Yes Spring connectors. That’s the term I was looking for. I need it to be about 4 1/2 “ height max

Thanks

If looking for a slimline model other than those available via Marantz then you are going to be very limited as far as choice is concerned. You'll not get many options if wanting one than is less than 5" in height. 5" equates to 127mm. The Yamaha RX-S602 is 111mm high, but you'd not then be left with much space above the AV receiver for ventilation. It is ordinarilly recommended that you leave at least 25mm min above an AV receiver in order to allow heat to diserpate. While the Yama AVR would fit into the space you have available, the ventilation space above it wouldn't be ideal.

The Yamaha AV receiver uses conventional binding posts as speaker terminals:

by default 2021-05-18 at 15.57.53.png

These are far better than spring clip connectors. Either spring clip or binding posts will facilitate bare wire speaker wire connections, although you can also utilise 4mm banana plugs if required with the Yamaha.

Last edited:
If looking for a slimline model other than those available via Marantz then you are going to be very limited as far as choice is concerned. You'll not get many options if wanting one than is less than 5" in height. 5" equates to 127mm. The Yamaha RX-S602 is 111mm high, but you'd not then be left with much space above the AV receiver for ventilation. It is ordinarilly recommended that you leave at least 25mm min above an AV receiver in order to allow heat to diserpate. While the Yama AVR would fit into the space you have available, the ventilation space above it wouldn't be ideal.

The Yamaha AV receiver uses conventional binding posts as speaker terminals:

View attachment 1514003

These are far better than spring clip connectors. Either spring clip or binding posts will facilitate bare wire speaker wire connections, although you can also utilise 4mm banana plugs if required with the Yamaha.
Thanks Dante - This size would be ideal. Shame there isn't another brand which is cheaper and allows bare wire attachments

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom