1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a TFT monitor

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by RMCF, Feb 7, 2005.

1. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +632
    Can anyone advise the best/cheapest place to get a good 15" (or 17") TFT monitor?

Also, as I am considering buying a 2nd hand one, do they suffer if they have been used a lot, ie do they have a lifespan?

2. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Aria have some fantastic deals on TFT screens at the minute - look under the "super specials" section. I picked up one of their 17" screens a couple of weeks ago and am very pleased :)

3. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ditto kelvins reply - checkout the digimate 1715/1718 at aria via the super specials. I've purchased about 7 of these TFT display from both aria and amazon - none have had dead pixels.

Aria price was £137+p&p, amazon price £149.99, but amazon have just dropped there price to about £140 with free shipping.

image and color quality is superb

Gary

4. Martin_89

Martin_89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you can afford to, ebuyer have the LG1715S for £180, ive got one on my main machine and its amazing for the price.

also its 16ms do Games and DVD's look great.

5. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    really isn't worth the extra £40-£50 for the LG, the Digimate specs are now 12ms response times, or at least the last 4 I've purchased have been - nice and fast for games :)

Gary

6. BernieC

BernieC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just rcvd my Digimate from Amazon - nice piece of kit.

One small issue though. When setting to 1280 x 1024 resolution and 75 Hz refresh I get the clearest and most expansive display ... but ... I also get faint lines running diagonally, and continuously from the bottom left to top right of the monitor. I have d/l the latest drivers for my graphics card (Nvidia TNT2) but still no difference.

I am hoping that someone out there can offer a solution ....

Thx
    Bernie

7. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    just got mine too
    no problems at 1280 x 1024 @ 75 hz

Screen way too bright though, need sunglasses to watch it.
    Had to turn the font size up to Large as well.
    If there are any dead pixels, I can't find em.

8. Martin_89

Martin_89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im not to sure but it _could_ be your graphics card, the TNT2 is an old card and some manufacturers using Nvidia chipsets used crap filters and the image quality was terrible, but if you've never noticed this before on a CRT then it shouldnt be the problem.

you should try and get hold of a graphics card from someone else or even try the monitor on another machine just to rule out the monitor.

9. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    maybe worth trying a different cable also. I noticed that effect when switching monitor over to another machine connected to my 4 port KVM unit.

The cable connecting this PC->KVM isn't able to handle hi-res and refresh rates (800x600 only), whilst the main PC is using a cable capable of 1600x1200 res screens. dropping screen resolution down cleared the problem - so check cable.

regards
    Gary

10. BernieC

BernieC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys - don't hv a spare pc at home but will get it over to a pals tnite to see if it just my crap pc ....

Thx,
    Bernie