looking for a test

glenbo

Standard Member
i am looking for the most testing piece (or pieces ) of music i can find
something that can test the stereo separation,screaming guitars,deep bass,haunting vocals
any suggestions

dlg78

Novice Member
See if you can hunt down "My disc A2TB Test disc" by Sheffield Labs, it contains an instrumental cover of "dock of the bay" by Lincoln Mayorga and his distinguished colleagues.

That should fit the bill nicely :)

formbypc

Novice Member
Why test a system with something that's alien to you, and which you won't normally listen to?

Take your familiar stuff, the stuff you play every day or every week. Find the system that performs best with what you know and like. You want to enjoy your system, not observe its performance in a detached manner.

However, in the screaming guitars and deep bass vein, I heartily recommend Dream Theater's Train of Thought. Track 4, "Honor thy Father".

Last edited:

dlg78

Novice Member
Why is the instant assumption that this person wants a "test" disc to test a system in a store? There was no mention of that at all.

dlg78

Novice Member
Yes, you're the first to mention the word 'store'. Nobody else did.

Well it seemed to me that the author was asking for a piece of material that would test a system, i.e. one of great production quality that would reveal the best in ones home system.

You yourself said "take your familiar stuff...", take it where?

glenbo

Standard Member
Well it seemed to me that the author was asking for a piece of material that would test a system, i.e. one of great production quality that would reveal the best in ones home system.

You yourself said "take your familiar stuff...", take it where?
sorry didn't explain myself very well,i have recently got some new speaker cable (much better stuff ) & added a dacmagic plus & now looking for a couple of tracks that will show off the improvements if indeed they improvements

glenbo

Standard Member
my system is mission 775sm turntable zeta arm & AT5
cyrus cd 6 & cyrus interconnects dacmagic plus audiolab 8000c chord chameleon interconnects denon 4400 monoblocks kimber 8 to a pair of neat motive one speakers

phil t

It really depends on what genres of music you like.

I could recommend John Scott plays Liszt (Guild label), organ music played on the instrument of St Paul’s. It’s a good test of any system.

Swing when you’re winning recorded by Robbie William is another well recorded album, but isn’t to everyone’s taste.

Welcome to the pleasure dome by Frankie goes to Hollywood, especially the first two tracks, has some good testing moments.

Born Slippy by Underworld has an interesting interplay between the bass drum and bass guitar.

Maverick a Strike by Finley Quaye, especially Even after all, will test a systems ability to play deep. When the bass guitar drops an octave, it should be effortless and not overblown.

The list is endless and very much depends on what music you like listening to.

:)

formbypc

Novice Member
On another forum, someone recommended something by Amon Tobin as a test disc, suggesting it would "work out every nook and cranny of your speakers" - which sounds like a good recommendation, so I went looking on YouTube for his work.

Almost random electronic noise. Barely discernible rhythmic structure. No vocals that I could find.

Won't be using it to test my system. Again, to the OP, use the music you like and want to listen to. Nothing else matters.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom