• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Looking for a tablet, suggestions please?

defect

Standard Member
Hi guys,
Looking for a tablet for a family member, she's not had one before and wants it for basic things, (email, internet, iPlayer is preferable etc.)

So far the winner is looking to be the A1CS FUSION5 XTRA (more recent version of the A1CS FUSION5.) This is £165 which is the top end of the budget really.

She would like good battery life if possible, however it's not essential that it's above average.

Any suggestions, is there anything better than this on the market for the price?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

defect

Standard Member
Google Nexus 7 review | from TechRadar's expert reviews of Tablets

I would suggest the Nexus 7 but I think you may have difficulty getting one due to huge demand.
Have you considered second-hand ? You could get a Motorola Xoom, Blackberry Playbook or even a first gen iPad to name a few.

Thanks for your response.

Apart from brand name, can you tell me what the advantage of the Nexus 7 would be over the one(s) I have mentioned?

I can't help but feel I'd be paying for a brand name and that this would do just as much, if not more for a cheaper price.

As for iPad/Playbook, I'd prefer Android as I prefer the ability to customize more to my preference. I've had a BB, iPad and a Android in the past and Android is my favourite.

Would also prefer to avoid second hand really, never been a big fan of second hand electricals.

Thank you for your help though.

For reference, here's a link to the Fusion5, where you can see how good the reviews are:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/A1CS-FUSION...WKFQ/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1342980808&sr=8-9

The Xtra was only launched this month and already has great reviews:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/A1CS-FUSION...1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1342983544&sr=1-1

nonumb

Looks interesting but no gps and lower resolution than the Nexus 7 and it's a bigger tablet, battery life is worse too. What is the processor? Is it a dual core? The Nexus 7 has jelly bean as well as updates direct from Google.

Not saying it's bad as you do get other extras like hdmi, just highlighting where the Nexus 7 is better. There's rumours of a nexus 10 coming out.

maf1970

A1CS Fusion 5 review - PC Advisor

Nexus 7 :

1. known maker.
2. latest technology for tablets.
3. latest android.(Jelly Bean)
4. Software support.
5. Hardware support.

I'm surprised you are so dismissive of second hand gear especially when there is plenty for sale in the Classifieds here and it is good quality,well looked after kit so you can buy with confidence. I accept that this might be due to a bad experience previously with buying second hand.
Are you sure Android is the right choice for this family member ? or is this being influenced by your own personal preference?

defect

Standard Member
Looks interesting but no gps and lower resolution than the Nexus 7 and it's a bigger tablet, battery life is worse too. What is the processor? Is it a dual core? The Nexus 7 has jelly bean as well as updates direct from Google.

Not saying it's bad as you do get other extras like hdmi, just highlighting where the Nexus 7 is better. There's rumours of a nexus 10 coming out.

Thanks for the help, due to what it'll be used for GPS and resolution won't particularly matter so good to see they are the main downfalls. Battery life is a bit of a bummer but to be honest none of them seem fantastic. Couldn't tell you what processor it is I'm afraid.

I think your negatives are a good help, so thanks, for basic internet and kindle use I think it should be fine. Nexus 10 will be way over budget I'd imagine, since the 7 is anyway!

A1CS Fusion 5 review - PC Advisor

Nexus 7 :

1. known maker.
2. latest technology for tablets.
3. latest android.(Jelly Bean)
4. Software support.
5. Hardware support.

I'm surprised you are so dismissive of second hand gear especially when there is plenty for sale in the Classifieds here and it is good quality,well looked after kit so you can buy with confidence. I accept that this might be due to a bad experience previously with buying second hand.
Are you sure Android is the right choice for this family member ? or is this being influenced by your own personal preference?

I saw the PCAdvisor review, but really didn't like it, for a start they were too busy comparing it to the Nexus 7 which iirc they quoted at being £165, which it isn't, that's if you can even get hold of one!

Thank you for your points, which are very useful and valid. The support that comes with the one I mentioned seems to be good, can't see her taking advantage of what Jelly Bean has to offer either. I showed her the Nexus 7 but she wants it to be 10" so that Kindle reading is better.

Admittedly, I didn't think of the Classifieds here, second hand immediately rings eBay alarm bells in my head! You'll be right on your assumption of personal experience with second hand gadgets!

As for the personal preference part, she's used an Android phone for some time, and I have a rubbish Android tablet that I got for about £50 (Hyundai A7) which she's used lately and despite it being a rubbish tablet she's liked the OS.

Thank you both very much for your help!

sep8001

Have you looked into the Advent Vega. A few for sale in the classifieds. I bought one for home use and am happy with it. I just installed vegacream and must say I am more than happy with it.

nonumb

Just a quick note on kindle reading I personally prefer a 7 inch tab for reading. If she's happy to with 10" for reading then cool but holding a 10" tab for extended reading is not for me!

The battery on the Nexus 7 is great imo get a full day's heavy use easily. Having had a tablet with 3-4 hours battery it really annoyed me.

The 8gb nexus 7 is 160 quid which may be fine. I'd suggest going to currys when they've got the Nexus in Stock as you can compare them to a 10" tab which will be similar to the a1cs.

I was not at all convinced with 7 inch tabs until I saw the Nexus. Still may get a 10" possibly a hp touchpad dual booting android from the classifieds.

Last edited:

Quaddy

as you say this for a family member and not yourself, the biggest favor you could do her is to buy a 1st gen ipad 2nd hand for about 180-200 - thats going to have the least hassle and comeback for you in terms of 'tech support' if you want an easy life.

why would you want an android as they are more customizable when its for a female family member :confused:

nonumb

Quaddy said:
as you say this for a family member and not yourself, the biggest favor you could do her is to buy a 1st gen ipad 2nd hand for about 180-200 - thats going to have the least hassle and comeback for you in terms of 'tech support' if you want an easy life.

why would you want an android as they are more customizable when its for a female family member :confused:

He said she had an android phone and liked the system and she may have bought apps etc...

There's a Motorola xoom in the classifieds priced at 185 which could be a good buy.

Last edited:

Quaddy

yes, thats fair enough, but would i let the best tablet experience be dictated by a few apps that can likely be had on ios as well? - i didnt see that as i only read the original post.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom