1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a sub to complement the following...

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Toekiller, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Toekiller

Toekiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ello.

Damn these forums! I'm already poorer from adding a HS10 pj! ;)

Anyway. System is as follows...

Yamaha DSPA1
    B&W CDM7's Main and Centre
    Infinity 5000's Rear ( My 1st HIFI speakers :p )

So from trawling the internet and these forums I've drawn up a short list.

B&W Asw675
    Mission M5AS
    Paradigm Servo 15
    SVS something.

Budget is 500 squidish.

What would you suggest? Should I even be adding a sub to an A1?

PS I live in Jersey so no VAT. Just huge shipping bills :p

Thx.

2. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure about the others but I have recently bought the ASW675 and it is a fantastic sub.

Relativly small in comparrison but with the 500W amp you really wouldnt think so!!

Looks bloody lovely as well!!

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You haven't given any room dimensions but of the four that you have listed I would immediately knock out the Mission as it's not in the same league and also the Servo 15 as I doubt whether RS have a branch in Jersey and even if they did, there seem to be supply problems and no-one is sure whether or not they will be getting any more in.

SVS make an excellent range of subs (and possibly you may be the one forum members that doesn't know that I have got one) but they are large cylinders. My wife prefers a large cylinder to a large box and as she preferred me to other men it proves that she has good taste but they are not for everyone.

The B&W is the complete opposite as it is as small as the SVS is imposing. It probably isn't quite in the same league as there are compromises to be made when manufacturing something that small but it is still an excellent subwoofer.

The other option worth considering is the Velodyne CHT-15 which is again a large beastie but good with it. These used to be available in our Powerbuy forum but since those ended, forum sponsors AV Sales have become Velodyne dealers and offer the best pricing deals around so if that tickles your fancy send a PM to forum member Liam McLaughlin asking for their best price.

All three are worth considering.

4. Toekiller

Toekiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thx for the quick replies.

Room dimensions are 20ft * 16ft. Ground floor, concrete carpeted floors.

Did I read about a SVS powerbuy ? ;)

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It's just an unofficial group buy for individuals who live close to each other to get together with one order to obtain a discount. Unfortunately I don't know anyone else that lives in Jersey although I wish that I lived there.

6. Toekiller

Toekiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well after reading posts on here and at Home Theatre spot, I have taken the plunge and ordered....

A SVS Pc+ 20-39.

245$ delivery chg to my door! Lucky I don't pay Vat ;)

Fingers crossed it's as good as you all say.

It's my 1st Sub and as I will be setting my mains and rears to 'small', can I move the front mains closer to the wall?

:smashin:

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Interesting question that I haven't seen asked before. I don't know the definitive answer but trial and error is the obvious one.

8. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Possibly. My front right speaker is quite close to a corner and changing from a floorstander to bookshelf + sub helped reduce some room boom.

I presume you're talking about the bass-reinforcement you get the closer you place your speakers to a wall. Since the sub-80Hz frequencies will be coming from your suboofer, then the wall should have less effect on your main speakers and you should be able to move them back.

But, as Ian says, experiment when you get your sub.

Cheers,
    Liam

P.S. welcome to the SVS fan-club :hiya: