1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a small camcorder.

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by ants, Jan 4, 2004.

1. ants

ants
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

Anyone know anything about the new "tapeless" camcorders ?
    I think there's a Panasonic one that uses SD cards (512Mb = 20 mins ?) or the Samsung IT Cam (1.5 hard drive?).

These looks pretty cool ie small, but whats the quality like, comparable to DV ? I think they both use Mpeg4 and supposed to be as good quality as a normal cam but I guess they would say that. And while we're at it would I then be able to use the standard editing software that one sees everywhere ?

Thanks for your thoughts.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    I've never seen the results of these tapeless cams, but capture to MPEG-4 means that the footage is highly compressed and therefore the quality will NOT be as good as uncompressed DV!
    Editing will also be a problem as compressed footage will have a lot of the information missing, so editing will result in further loss of quality. Also I would not expect many of the editing progs to support MPEG-4 editing. I believe the Sony MicroMV cams also capture in MPEG-4 (or similar) and it is incompatable with many editing progs, but some are starting to add this in newer versions of their software.

Mark.