Looking for a small amplifier

R

robred147

Hi everyone,
Just joined, first post, so please excuse me if I ask a clumsy question...just bought a modest (£60) Tangent amp from Richer Sounds, but I can't get it to fit on my shelves, so it is going to have to go back.

...I am looking for an amplifier that has to fit on an existing shelf system where I have a DVD player that is 36cm/14" wide. I have a depth of 30cm.

Hi-fidelity isn't too much of an issue - this is for a second system, that uses the DVD player to play CDs and uses £30 Wharfedales.

I do need a number of inputs, though - CD, PC, MP3 (via the jacks, not necessarily a front socket) and even a digital radio feed from my Sky box in the next room - so 3/4 inputs.

Any ideas for a cheap amplifier that is smaller than 'full width' and has plenty of inputs?

Thanks.

Rob

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member
If width is the issue then Cyrus have to be worth a look, but your suggestions don't point towards the budget for that, as such the Russ Andrews RAVE amp could be worth a look

http://www.russandrews.com/lookup/1...FOUOOOV/product-RAVE-1-USB-amplifier-4604.htm

It sounds very good and the USB socket will make your PC sound far better than most soundcards from it, it tseems to tick every box and you get a free 14 day home trial on it. Don't forget to order a power cable if you need one though!

R

robred147

Thanks - that's a really good suggestion. How come all my searching never led me to that?! I'd still like to hear from others before I persuade myself to spend £200 on it - I could go down a different road and get some kind of Denon, TEAC system once I get in the £200+ range (it is an old TEAC of mine that has just blown - I had 3 inputs on that [md, tape, aux], which was workable and I got built in CD and tuner, too).

Really interesting suggestion, though, so thanks!
Rob

majorwedgy

if you are looking in that region the onkyo cr515 HAS to be auditioned for the size and cost it is very difficult to beat

doublej

Novice Member
Yep - the Onkyo's have a small footprint and strong reputation as do the Denon midis....these are a long way from your initial £60 though !

KJ Palmer

Novice Member
The Onkyo CR515 is indeed a lovely amp, but might be slightly deep at 33.5cm. Mine hangs slightly over the edge of my shelf, but is so nice I decided to keep it.

jon_mendel

Novice Member
£60 would buy you a sonic impact t amp, PSU and a phono switch box - if you're looking to buy a new small amp, you won't get better for the money :)

R

robred147

£60 would buy you a sonic impact t amp, PSU and a phono switch box - if you're looking to buy a new small amp, you won't get better for the money :)
Thanks - that looks very interesting - especially as it holds out the prospect of keeping to my meagre budget. I will try and check that out on the Web.
thanks.
Rob

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member
Hi Rob, Apologies i didn't spot the budget figure as mentioned in your post!

The Russ Andrews one is excellent and would out perform the mini/micro system without question, especially on the PC side with the USB input... but i do understand your point.

Maybe get the home demo from them, it's risk free and it may help you decide?

Cable Monkey

Novice Member
The Russ Andrews product is essentially a T amp with additional inputs isn't it? Nicely packaged I'll admit but not great value IMO.

Adam Shaw

Novice Member
Standard width for hi fi seperates is 430mm, as you have found out by now. Whilst there are companies making units outside this size template, there is not a lot of choice for narrower units, and you will generally pay a premium for something that is not the standard 430mm width.

It might just be easier to find somewhere else to put your Hi Fi.

R

robred147

Hi
Thanks everyone for helpful comments. Just thought I would let you now what I ended up doing....took the Tangent amp back to Richer Sounds and got a refund. Must say that they were brilliant about this non-sale...

...stumbled into Superfi next door and couldn't resist a black Yamaha CRX-M170 at £149.99. More than my budget, but multiple inputs, CD player and DAB tuner will do for me.

Don't mean to be picky, but it is a bit fussy about some CD-R discs - lots of TOC Reading, will it/won't it waiting. I think it might be as much to do with cleanliness and condition of discs as anything else, which might be fair enough!

Anyway...thanks for all help, even if I did stray from my own spec in the end.

Rob

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom