Looking for a slim 50"

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by tom_0787, Aug 5, 2017.

1. tom_0787

tom_0787

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Morning all!

I am in need of a slim 50" TV to mount behind my new PJ screen. I currently only have 60mm from the wall to the screen but had the builders use 15mm plasterboard and large dabs for the wall the TV is going on.

The plan is to cut out the plasterboard in way of the TV so I should end up with approx 80-90mm clearance which the TV and mount must be under.

Can anyone reccomend a slim 48-50 inch TV? Not that fussed about 4K as I have no 4K sources and my JVC X35 isn't 4K.

I'm ideally for something around 40mm deep.

Any recommendations on a super slim mount would also be much appreciated!

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,536
    Panasonic'x DX802 is 35mm deep, although the sound is an external sound bar rather than built in to the body.

3. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,366
    Most edge lit TVs will meet that spec. Only direct lit/FALD models will be thicker. Its hard really to recommend one over another without knowing what you value in a TV, what you will use the TV for etc.

For example, if you are just going to be using it for TV then something like a FHD Samsung K5500 will suit.

If you want superior motion performance you are probably going to have to look to spend quite a bit more on an UHD model with a 100hz panel.

If you need wide viewing angles then again its important to consider to the panel type you will have on the TV.

It also depends on your budget, viewing distance etc

4. tom_0787

tom_0787

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for the replies!

Some more info on intended usage.

- Viewing distance approx 4m
    - General daytime viewing only as films and sporting events are generally watched on the PJ.
    - Decent viewing angle is important because the second sofa is well off to one side and the TV will also be slightly higher than I would have liked because the centre speaker is wall mounted above a fireplace.
    - Sound performance is not important because it will be running through my 5.1 system at all times (ARC therefore required for in built apps)
    - Network crontrol would be a bonus as we are considering Control4 or similar in the future and the installer we spoke to mentioned that Samsung are not the best for network control / switching.

The Panasonic DX802 is the perfect depth but seems to get very mixed reviews with some negative comments relating to colour & brightness. It could be the perfect set for the kitchen though with the seperate sound bar which I assume is also wall mountable?

In case it helps our current set is a Samsung UE48H6400 and we have always been pretty happy with it.

Any other suggestions for the TV & Slim wall bracket would be welcome!

5. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,366
    Your current tv is a better TV than FHD models available today. At 4m viewing distance UHD will be pointless, given that and your viewing habits I don't think any upgrade would be found so I would stick with what you have. No question about it.

6. tom_0787

tom_0787

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    any other suggestions anyone?