Looking for a silent 2600XT that'll fit in a HTPC

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by ParmMann, Sep 1, 2007.

1. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Hi all, I'm building a new HTPC and I've got all the parts ordered except the graphics card. I'm after a silent Radeon 2600XT but I'm having trouble locating one. The only one I've found so far is the Gigabyte GV-RX26T256H.

I'm thinking of getting that one but the cooling sollution on the card looks quite big. I'll be using an Antec NSK2400 case (similar to the Antec Fusion) and I'm not sure if that card will fit.

Does anybody with the Antec case happen to know how much room you have for a graphics card and is the above Gigabyte likely to fit? If not, are there any other passively cooled 2600XTs?

Thanks in advance!

2. lostbok

lostbok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    ParmMann - did u find anything?

3. willo

willo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I asked this question a couple of days ago but no reply. I'm after the 2400xt passive (also Gigabyte) and will be fitting it into a Silverstone LC126 case. The problem with this case is the DVD drive is smack bang in the middle where the card will go, I've got about 18cm to get it into. Ordered it anyway and should be fitting it on Saturday.

I did notice the 2600xt is longer than the 2400xt.

4. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I kinda found something! I've finished my build and in the end went with a Gigabyte 2600 Pro, it fits perfectly into my Antec NSK2400 case.

This is the card I purchased: http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/Products/VGA/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2589
    I got it from Scan.co.uk

I've not played any games with it yet so I can't comment on the gaming aspect but everything else so far has been spot on. It was pretty cheap and I'm very happy with my new build. :thumbsup:

5. stu8

stu8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
  6. lostbok

lostbok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Thanks guys!

I'm assuming that the 2400XT or 2600PRO/XT are the cards to go for?

How effective is the AC3 audio over HDMI?

Do ALL 2600XT's support this?

Do any/all of the 2600PRO / 2400 series cards support audio over HDMI?

I might be playing the odd game on the PC, so thought I'd err on the side of the 2600XT... only £10-£15 extra... and I'd rather have the heat venting out of the case too.

7. lostbok

lostbok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Thanks guys!

I'm assuming that the 2400XT or 2600PRO/XT are the cards to go for in HTPC's?

How effective is the AC3 audio over HDMI?

Do ALL 2600XT's support this?

Do any/all of the 2600PRO / 2400 series cards support audio over HDMI? Not all seem to include the adapter, while the majority of the 2600XT cards do.

I might be playing the odd game on the PC, so thought I'd err on the side of the 2600XT... only £10-£15 extra... and like I said - includes the HDMI adapter.

This is what I was looking at: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=633076, but just realised that it's "single slot cooling" and I'd rather have something with a fan that vents heat out the case (or possibly one of those external heat-pipe case, but less keen on those).

I'm at risk of cross-posting here - if you've got any significant tips / advice on setting up, specc'ing or configuring my HTPC, please post them here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=624767

8. psikey

psikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,048
    I'm now using the GDDR3 version of the 2600XT

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/128946

And its small than the regular 2600XT's (GDDR4 version)

I get picture & sound through an HDMI lead to my HDTV. Playing Bioshock at 1366x768 on my aging P4 3.4GHz system with 1GB RAM with high settings of around 25-30fps (lower at times). My new Shuttle build with C2D & 2GB RAM should get better performance.

Can't comment on noise level as my CPU fan is louder but thats an Arctic Cooler Pro.

It's actually physically smaller than the OEM NVidia 6600 it replaced.

It does come with the DVI-HDMI adapter and looks like the same one you linked to at Scan. Looks like the price has gone up as I only paid £60 for mine delivered 2 weeks ago. (~£65 now)

9. lostbok

lostbok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    do any of the GDDR3's vent externally - seems to be the GDDR4 version that does...

I don't mind about the size: the box and motherboard are a peculiar shape: although it's a desktop build, I think the case is has been designed to take a full length CAD graphics card, so length is certianly not an issue.

Although I'm not sure if I'd fit this in - need to check!

Sapphire HD 2600XT Ultimate (passive cooled 2600XT)

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/the-radeon-2600xt-remixed,review-29624-3.html

Very new though, so not sure if it's available in the UK yet... it's not even on the Sapphire website yet.... not sure if it's worth the hassle and expense - more for you chaps wanting to keep the noise near-to-zero.

10. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,026
    I just got a 2600Pro (AGP) from Ebuyer, but it makes my HTPC a bit noisy now. I'm going to try fitting a Zalman fan & cooler or maybe a silent Zalman heatsink.

11. stu8

stu8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
  12. lostbok

lostbok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    what about this one?

"256MB Gigabyte HD 2600 XT PCI-E (x16) 128 Bit GDDR3, CrossFire 2xDVI-I/HDTV, Retail" - it's also got one of those Gigabyte "silent heatpipes", so it's fanless...

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=661339

http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/VGA/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2586

NB - a potential major downside would be that the HDMI support is described as via the "optional" DVI-HDMI adapter.... if this is not included, you then have the headache of trying to get one of these.... I've submitted a Scan question to see if this is actually included (it seems like it is for most other manufacturers).

13. lostbok

lostbok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    ParmMann - did your Gigabyte 2600PRO include the HDMI-DVI adapter?

I'm going to go with the 2600XT, preferably the Giga-byte, but I'm not sure about this adapter...

edit: I think I answered my own question.... http://www.pcinpact.com/a-281-4-2600XT_Gigabyte_Fanless.htm

For those who can't read French, the only bit u need is the red box on the bottom right hand corner: Negative points.... "Pas de dongle HDMI" = No HDMI dongle....

14. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Sorry I could not help but thinking about old pop songs when I read the french......ahh Musical Youth

"Pas de dongle" on the left-hand side

"Pas de dongle" on the left-hand side

As jokes are worse when you have to repeat or explain them, I will do both (courtesy of google):-

For all the dozens of people who come here looking for the meaning of "Pass The Duchie/Dutchie/Duchy 'pon the left hand side", here it is.

The 'dutchie' in question is a dutch pot, a large cooking vessel for stews and the like, shortened in West Indian slang to dutchie or any other spelling you care to mention. It's an oral culture so it doesn't matter.

The reason it gets into the song is because the weeny members of Musical Youth, a Birmingham-based pre-boyband boy band, used to play a cover of "Pass The Kouchie", a song originally recorded by the Mighty Diamonds about passing a cannabis pipe or 'kouchie' (pronounced 'koochie'). This topic was deemed unsuitable by the band's manager and their producer. So after some reflection the word 'dutchie' was substituted for 'kouchie' and magically the song was transformed from being about drugs to being about food. (I know this to be true not because I am an expert in Rastafari but because the group's manager told me.)

Big hit followed but not much happiness. The various guardians of the under-aged stars fell out over the money which slowly evaporated into the hands of lawyers and a legacy of bitterness and trauma was all that was left.

15. stu8

stu8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
  16. lostbok

lostbok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Dude.... you need help ;)

17. lostbok

lostbok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Spot on advice Stu8, thanks! I guess there's always the risk of slightly different EU / US bundles... but I think these look identical.

As suspected: they don't include the HDMI adapter.

It looks like there's a component (Pr-Pb-Y) line out and a S-vid line out... but nothing for the audio...

18. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Hi mate, my 2600 Pro definately didn't come with the adapter. I'm using a DVI to HDMI cable on my screen, but remember you don't get sound over the HDMI using a DVI to HDMI cable. If you do want the card to output sound too, you'll need to find somewhere that sells the adapter.

It's a slight niggle but I didn't mind as I use standalone speakers as opposed to the TV speakers.

19. lostbok

lostbok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    ok - gonna HAVE to get teh proper thing... the PC has onboard sound, but ropey stuff... I want to use the surround sound on the 2600XT, so I need it to run the proper HDMI up tot he TV, which then has a co-axial lead back down to the AMP (that's how I run the PS3 and V+)....

20. lostbok

lostbok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    fyi - I went for the HIS ICEQ3 version of the 2600XT - 512Mb GDDR3 (not that it makes a bit of differnece compared to the 256MB)... it's not passivley cooled, it's the near-silent iceQ3 fan... which also vents the hot air out the case.

And it includes the HDMI adapter... edit OR NOT!!! (see above)

21. lostbok

lostbok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I can NOT believe it... Overclockers.co.uk sell this card, but on the box, in the "this box contains" frame, there's a little bit of tape over the part that says "DVI-to-HDMI adapter", despite them (Overclockers) advertising it as an all-in-one audio and video HDMI solution!!

edit: I'll be contacting them first thing tomorrow to find out what they're playing at.

SODS:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    I have ordered one of these MSI heatpipe 2600XT Gddr3 512mb (processed - waiting for stock):-

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4N4K

It may be too large for your case, I am going to use an Antec p180 which is fairly large tower, but has vertical hard drive orientation (lower chamber), so when I lay it on its side the hard drives (2x500gb Spinpoints) will be fine, as will the massive scythe ninja (revB) cooler. Hopefully I will be able to run the ninja fanless, using down clocked case fans for air flow.

23. lostbok

lostbok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    ta - I've calmed down a bit and not called OverClockers yet - got a fully wired DVI to HDMI adapter that I'm going to build my HTPC sometime in the next couple of days and I'll see if that works - the two 500Gb Spinpoints arrived yesterday - so that's my stripe-set :)

Case is a a "full" height desktop case:
    [​IMG]

I doubt size is going to be too much of a hinderance - I've got my HTPC well out of sight, so that's not a problem at all.

24. gw420

gw420
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Another option is to get a 2600xt with a normal cooler (I got the normal Sapphire 2600xt which comes with HDMI dongle) and then get the Zalman VNF100 cooler and fit that.

The cooler is very compact and fits no problem in my Antec Fusion (It is tight against the ram slot but fits fine).

25. lostbok

lostbok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    my whole reason for going for the HIS version is because the cooler is uber quiet and most importantly, it vents the air out of the case - so more chance of running the other components on v low speed fans or no fans at all... the two CPU's have both got VERY large heat pipe towers (full height of the case) and a pair of temp-sensitive fans extracting heat across them - provided the case stays at a reasonable temp, those fans will stay at a pretty low speed and very quiet.

26. lostbok

lostbok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    RockySpieler - when yours arrives, please let us know if the MSI from DABS comes with HDMI adapter... I'm going to try a few options with mine, but I'm guessing that (a) this isn;t goign to do the audio and that (b) OverClockers aren't gonna supply one and I'm going to have to return this card and buy one that actually has the adapter included - given OverClockers false advertising with that one, I'm not likely to be ordering from them again unless they're "super-co-operative" in all of this - in which case, I'll be sure to let everybody here know!

HTPC was "assembled" last night, but I only finished it half an hour after "curfew", so nothing installed at all: it's sat downstairs with all the cables, controllers (keyboard/trackball and IR-remote), adapters and CD's (Vista Ultimate, Drivers and Nero7).

Ready to go:

Dual Xeon 3.6Ghz, 2Gb DDR2, 2 x 500Gb Samsung Spinpoints (RAID0), 2 x NEC 18X dDVDRW, HIS 2600XT 512Mb, regular (non-ATI) DVI-HDMI adapter....

6 hours to go!

27. mackersausage

mackersausage
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

28. lostbok

lostbok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    thanks Macker - that bodes well, but after the last "muck"-up - i'm gonna wait and see wrt to the 2600XT, before I recommend anybody else buy a specific model.

29. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    No dongle..............not happy.

The reviews I read had the dongle included, it seems the European SKU doesn't have it.

Carton artwork shows it as optional, the Dabs description is "MSI ATI R2600XT 512MB PCIE DUAL DVI HDTV TVO HDMI HDCP".

from MSI website (UK):-

http://msicomputer.co.uk/index.php?func=newsdesc&news_no=536

RX2600XT-T2D512EZ wins PCPro Recommended Award

MSI RX2600XT-T2D512EZ

PC PRO
    “Recommended & A-LIST”

From PC PRO Nov 07, UK

…”Good performance and value, plus plenty of media-centre practicality in this SILENT card.”…

MSI's RADEON 2600XT is unlike any of ATI's mid-range components. Its heatpipe installed, easily fitable into chassis, passively cooled, and perfect for media centre PCs.
    The RX2600XT offers plenty besides PERFORMANCE and SILENT running, there is a DVI-to-HDMI converter, a built in Azelia HD audio controller, a seven-pin video-out port, and it is HDCP compatible.

Read More:
    PC PRO Magazine. Issue 157. November 2007

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/125290/msi-rx2600xtt2d512ez.html

"...........There's a DVI-to-HDMI converter in the box for connecting a flat-screen TV....."

Trusted Review also linked from MSI site:-

http://www.trustedreviews.com/graphics/review/2007/07/26/MSI-RX2600XT/p3

".......... By combining the DVI connections with either DVI to VGA or DVI to HDMI dongles (one of each is included in the box) you have a huge number of connection options at your disposal............."

I am going to speak to dabs tomorrow..........I hope they are responsive.

30. lostbok

lostbok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    had the same prob with the HIS... I even went to newgg and looked at their bundles (the whole box emptied and photographed) and the US bundle is cheaper (like usual) AND has the adapter...