Looking for a replacement QWERTY phone

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by gino_76ph, Jul 29, 2012.

Tags:
  1. gino_76ph

gino_76ph
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi there!

I currently have the Nokia E5 QWERTY smartphone. the phone has been with me for a few years now and i am looking to replace it with another good (SIM-free) QWERTY phone.

I have tried a Blackberry phone (Curve 9360) but i found it to be quite fiddly (i.e. one task takes at least 1-2 more than my E5) and the battery life plus the startup time is very appalling.

I cannot see a similar-style/shaped Android phone other than the HTC Chacha and the Acer beTouch phones which i don't like.

What i want is something similar to the E5, user-friendly, an excellent battery life (like my E5 which sometimes last for days) and one that i can use to check basic emails or use the camera to upload photos.

Seen the Sony Xperia Pro and the Mini Pro but i don't know if they are that good for texting/typing considering they have this sliding keyboard.

Any advice please?

2. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    Plenty of choices and both the Sony models are great for messaging. The only disadvantage with sliders is that you need both hands to use the keyboard.

You could also consider the Samsung Galaxy Pro or the Motorola Pro+, both are candybar style with no sliding keyboard.

If you wanna stick with Nokia smartphones, you could get the successor to your current phone the Nokia E6. Otherwise, Nokia has a range of feature-phone qwerty's available in the Asha range and also the C3, all of which have very good battery life. My pick would be the Asha 303 which has a good qwerty along with a touchscreen so you have the best of both worlds.

BlackBerry's have an excellent keyboard, the best I reckon, might be worth revisiting it and getting to know the software and all the shortcuts so it doesn't take you so many clicks to get to where you want. Battery life also tends to be good so perhaps you just had a Curve with everything switched on? (GPS, Bluetooth, Wifi, etc).

3. gino_76ph

gino_76ph
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Getting another E5 is not on my list. So as a Samsung Galaxy Pro (stuck with Android 2.2/2.3 OS, low battery life, not-so very good reviews), an E6 (as it is beyond my budget, some factory hardware faults on the d-button and again not-so good reviews), the C3 or the 303 (as the camera is a paltry 3Mp and with no flash) and a Blackberry Curve phone as (again) low battery life (even only on 3G and with no bluetooth or wifi turned-on), slow startup and the list goes on.

Heard of so-so good reviews of the Bold 9790 though. and still dreaming about the Xperia Mini Pro/Xperia Pro.

Hmmm...what you think guys?

4. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    Ah ok, you want something with a good camera and flash as well.

I would go with the Sony Xperia Pro range then, the camera is good and has a flash, both handsets have an ICS update and as long as you're ok with using two hands for the slider, it seems to to tick all your boxes.

Otherwise, what about the Moto Pro+? Candybar qwerty with a 5MP camera and dual-LED flash, nice and quick performance, great price and with ICS update planned. And battery life is great too!